Author Topic: Spaghetti squash?  (Read 907 times)

Just Lori

• USA
Spaghetti squash?
« on: September 25, 2007, 10:44:34 AM »
I'm fascinated with this veggie, although I have never tried it.  What does it taste like?  Would my kids (and husband) know the difference if I mixed the strands with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella and baked it?  Does anyone have any good recipes?  We tend to be in the "anything is better with garlic, onions and pepper camp," so recipes along those lines would be great.  I'm definitely open to other recipes as well.

Thanks!

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
Re: Spaghetti squash?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:51:32 PM »
They'd probably be able to tell the difference by the fact that it is very, very thin, but it tastes good.  Sauteeing it in olive olive and then adding sauce and mozzarella should be tasty. 

DH and I are new to cooking.  I made spaghetti squash one night and DH sort of observed.  I took out the insides and then baked it as instructed.  I took it out and of course it looked nothing like spaghetti.  DH then started informing me that the insides I had scooped out must have been the spaghetti.  I was about to toss it when I touched it with my fork and it started shredding the "spaghetti."  We felt pretty dumb but it sure tasted good.  :-[ ;)

Florida

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 06:07:03 PM »
I love spaghetti squash! It has a very mild taste and a crispy texture. I like to bake it, then scrape out the "strands" with a fork and substitute it instead of pasta in your favorite spaghetti recipe.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 10:06:30 PM »

I bake it, scrape out the insides, and serve with a marinara sauce and parmesan cheese, and maybe some garlic bread.

They'll definitely notice that it's not pasta, but it's very good on its own.

Phinn

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 02:51:56 AM »
Everyone'll notice it isn't pasta, as its texture belies its 95% water content, but it's fantastically delicious.  We serve it with all kinds of sauces - from Italian to Indian.  It's an excellent light, delicious replacement for most dishes that ask to be topped over rice, pasta, or potatoes.  We've had success using it as a topping - from daal (Indian lentil stew) and thick sloppy joe mixture (ground beef/tomato blend).  It's kind of indispensible in our house.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 05:47:12 AM »
I lurrrrve spaghetti squash!!

I always cut it in half, lay each half face down on a pan with a bit of water and bake for about 30-45 minutes at about 325 depending on the size.  Flip half way through.  Then, I scrape out the spaghetti and add a titch of butter and brown sugar, mix and serve.  It's to die for!

I didn't know you could shred it before it was cooked. I thought it shredded only after it was done.

I've never even thought to serve it with a marinara sauce.  Will have to try that as well as sauteeing in garlic and oil. 

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 12:24:09 PM »
you guys bake it?

i just poke it with a fork all over and throw it in the microwave.  it's so much faster.