Author Topic: Fruit Salad  (Read 1386 times)

ZipTheWonder

Fruit Salad
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:17:33 PM »
I have to bring a fruit salad for a teacher luncheon this week.  I'm not sure whether they mean "bowl of mixed fruit" or "salad in which fruit appears as an ingredient."  I'm going with "salad in which fruit appears as an ingredient" and I'd love some new ideas.

Anyone have any good recipes for fruit salad?  Or fruit-pasta salad? Or fruit-etc. salads??

edenparadox

Re: Fruit Salad
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 10:57:32 PM »
Fruit salad usually means mixed up cut up fruit to me. In which case go with anything you like and make some sort of citrus flavored dressing because it will keep the fruit from oxidizing.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 11:06:51 PM »
At all of the potlucks I've been involved in, it usually means a large basket of cut-up fruit from your nearest grocer.  About a 50/50 chance of having the great yogurt dip with it.  :)

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:56:37 PM »
Hmmm.....maybe I better rethink this.  But, I'm a little non-plussed by the fruit selection in the stores in Texas in late September.  :)

Paper Roses

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 12:09:56 AM »
I can give you a couple of ideas:

The first is my version of Dear Abby's Summer Surprise Dessert:

Take 6-8 cups cut fresh fruit (any combination of plums, nectarines, peaches, grapes (cut in half if they are large), blueberries, strawberries, bananas, kiwi, melon will work).  Canned pineapple can be used, but any other fruit must be fresh.  Put the fruit in a 9X13 pan or dish (or larger, if you have one). 

Top with 2 cups sour cream (I just drop it in spoonfuls all over the top of the fruit).  Then sprinkle a cup of brown sugar over the sour cream. 

Cover the pan and leave it in the refrigerator overnight.  Just before serving, stir it all together (the dressing will be a bit lumpy at first, but eventually will smooth out).  The dressing combines with the fruit juices and makes a delicious sauce.  I usually serve this as a dessert, but you could serve it as a salad too.

Another idea is to have cut up fresh fruit, and make a dip using extra creamy whipped topping combined with creme de menthe.  (But if you don't want to use the liqueur, you can use mint extract and a drop or two of green food coloring).  Mix it up, and if you think it needs it, add a little confectioner's sugar.  You could serve the fruit on a platter with a cup or bowl of the dip in the middle, like they do with fresh vegetable platters.

Good luck.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Summrs

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 03:56:09 AM »
Bowl of fruit here, too.  I usually just cut up anything that's available... apples, oranges, nectarines, bananas, cantaloupe, etc. and mix some honey and orange juice together to pour over. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 06:49:43 AM »
i would think they mean a bowl of cut up fruit. I just take whatever is available - apples, halved grapes, cantelope, etc and add one can of pineapple or fruit cocktail.

although, maybe for that kind of event, I would just bring a big tray of sliced fruit all set up neatly: row of sliced strawberries, pineapple chunks, melon balls, mango etc

if you want to go with the vegetable/fruit salad route: take a big bowl and pour in a bag of baby greens and one of regular lettuce. add slices of fruit - mango or fresh figs or grapes work really well. sprinkle a handful of cranberries. (make sure there is not too much fruit). serve with a mustard vinegrette.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 05:38:10 PM »
Sounds like a bowl of mixed fruit to me, too.  I lean towards a simple salad, either honeydew, cantaloupe, and strawberries, or one of those melons with mixed berries.  I know a lot of people like to pour orange juice over fruit salad, and my mom puts curry powder in.  No idea how that tastes, but she swears it's delicious....