Author Topic: Vegetarian appetizers  (Read 2070 times)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
Vegetarian appetizers
« on: September 26, 2007, 05:43:50 PM »
I'm bringing hors d'oeuvres on Thanksgiving, and we're most likely going to have at least one vegetarian guest.  I know my brother will plan for her for the main meal, but I'd also like to bring at least one veggie appetizer.  I'm thinking one or two meat, and one vegetarian, and I thought the vegetarians on the board might have some good ideas.  I'll have limited opportunities to cook once I'm over there (reheating will probably be okay), and I'd prefer not to stay up alllllllllll night the night before cooking.  However, I do like cooking, so I'm not looking for strictly 2 minute microwave options.

Just to avoid confusion, vegetarian in this case means no meat, no seafood, no broths or sauces or gravies with meat in them, eggs and dairy are ok.  Thanks!

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Vegetarian appetizers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:53:15 PM »
hummus is good...  spinach artichoke dip... 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

edenparadox

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 05:59:51 PM »
Stuffed mushrooms! Just leave out the meat.

tmmkitten

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 09:22:47 PM »
this is my favorite appetizer!
Bruchetta~
cut a loaf of ciabatta bread and toast lightly with olive oil
combine:
2 cups small cubbed tomatoes
1 bunch basil chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1/2 cup red onion
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 table spoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
course salt and pepper.

mix together and place on top of the ciabatta slices, garnish with extra basil or
if you want to, add mozzarella atop the mix and broil slightly to melt.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »
this is my favorite appetizer!
Bruchetta~
cut a loaf of ciabatta bread and toast lightly with olive oil
combine:
2 cups small cubbed tomatoes
1 bunch basil chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1/2 cup red onion
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 table spoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
course salt and pepper.

mix together and place on top of the ciabatta slices, garnish with extra basil or
if you want to, add mozzarella atop the mix and broil slightly to melt.

These all sound tasty, although I'll have to get BF to taste test the mushrooms :)  Something with basil is a good idea, since it's the only plant that actually managed to survive in my apartment, and I now have 4 basil plants nearing 18" tall  ;D

edenparadox

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 03:48:09 PM »
Mushrooms are delicious with basil. Scoop out a lot of the insides, then saute them with chopped onions and any other veggie you like. Mix with garlic, breadcrumbs, parm or pecorino cheese, basil, salt and pepper, a little olive oil if it needs more liquid. Stuff into caps. Top caps with hunks of mozzarella. Bake.

This would also work with peppers, zucchini and pretty much any other vegetable that you can cut a hole in.

Why can't you have mushrooms?

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »
Mushrooms are delicious with basil. Scoop out a lot of the insides, then saute them with chopped onions and any other veggie you like. Mix with garlic, breadcrumbs, parm or pecorino cheese, basil, salt and pepper, a little olive oil if it needs more liquid. Stuff into caps. Top caps with hunks of mozzarella. Bake.

This would also work with peppers, zucchini and pretty much any other vegetable that you can cut a hole in.

Why can't you have mushrooms?

I can't stand the taste!  BF loves them, though, so he'll probably be thrilled to be my guinea pig.  I'm the only one in the family that doesn't like them, so this recipe sounds like a good choice.  I was thinking of something like stuffed mushrooms, because I like to show off my cooking prowess by bringing something "fancy," but I don't like to kill myself cooking for 10 hours (the stuffed phillo triangles at Christmas were delicious, but way too much of a hassle!).  Thanks everyone!  Hopefully by the time Thanksgiving rolls around I'll have more recipes than I know what to do with :)

One more request, if you don't mind.  If any of these recipes can be made (or partially made) a few days before, or freeze really well, please add that in.  It's not a requirement, of course, but good to know.

edenparadox

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 06:57:42 PM »
Well you can make the stuffing in advance. Just pre-cook and pre-mix and pop in the fridge.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 10:19:57 PM »
Any particular variety of mushroom?  I'm in a big city, so I can get just about anything.  Mmmm, this thread is making me so hungry, even the mushrooms are starting to sound tasty  ;D

edenparadox

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 11:14:39 PM »
lol You basically have two options. One is portabellas - you want to make sure to get all those gills off cause they're soooo watery - you don't really want to use the gills or stem in the stuffing mix. The other is large button mushrooms - which are shaped better in my opinion - most supermarkets sell them as stuffing mushrooms - these I usually scoop out the stem and then cut out more flesh to form a deeper hole and the cut out stem and flesh go into the stuffing mix.

If you use zucchini for example, you can get a large one, cut it into two (not length-wise) and scoop a roughly round hole in each piece. Tomatoes, use large ones and spoon out the innards. Onions, cut out the inside to form a hole. You get the picture.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »
No recipe, but spinach artichoke dip?

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 11:23:19 PM »
No recipe, but spinach artichoke dip?

Not a bad idea, but I'm already planning on bringing another store-bought dip that everyone loves :)

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 05:21:52 AM »
As long as we are talking of stuffing things:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Peppers-My-Way/Detail.aspx

This recipe for stuffed capsicum (bell peppers) is very, very good.  I did make a few changes:  I use parboiled, basmati or brown rice because I like the texture better.  I used red capsicum instead of green.  I don't know what Italian seasoning is so I used oregano instead, and I added some chopped black olives to the mixture also.

I also did not roast the peppers for so long before stuffing as it makes them floppy.  I roasted for ten and increased the cooking time post stuffing.  It seemed to work out well.  You could make the mix the night before and keep in the fridge.  You could probably roast the capsicum the night before too, stuff them the morning of, put them in an oven dish and just bung it in an oven 15 minutes before serving.  Easy!

One other easy thing I'd suggest is an antipasto platter with olives, stuffed vine leaves (you can get them in tins or from the deli), roasted capsicum strips, slices of mozzarella or other cheeses (check the label to be sure it contains no rennet), crostinis with pesto (good way to use up basil if you make it yourself), cherry tomatoes, basically anything nibbly on plates that can be passed around.  The bonus is that much of it can be done the day before (like roasting the capsicum) and basically it just needs to be plated.  It's also a very sociable way to eat -- passing things back and forth, everyone trying a little bit of everything and commenting on how tasty it is.  :)

If you're into baking there is, in my opinion, not much more divine than freshly baked focaccia topped with roasted garlic and parsley, served with some freshly sliced tomato wedges and a few different sharp cheeses.  Heaven on a plate.  I haven't tried this recipe but it looks good:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Focaccia-Bread/Detail.aspx

I usually use a Nigella Lawson recipe.

Roast four or five whole heads of garlic the day before, cool, squeeze out of their skins and blend with some freshly chopped parsley (basil would be good, too), some sea salt and olive oil, and then top the bread before baking.

One last suggestion, and this recipe goes down really well with vegetarians and omnivores alike, is Delia's thick onion tart.  I happen to think that caramelised onion and goat cheese go divinely together, so I add 100-200g of chevre, sliced, just before pouring over the egg mixture:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/thick-onion-tart,1259,RC.html

It IS fairly labor intensive, so she has provided a 'cheat' using pre-made pastry:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/thick-onion-tart,1719,RC.html

I think you could cook either of these and just warm them when you arrive.

Good luck.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 11:39:52 AM »
how many different appetizers are you serving? i didn't realize people even served appetizers on T-giving (there is so much FOOD on T-giving....)

for the vegetarian - and anyone else:
of course humus, or tahini with vegetable crudites.

i have a friend who suggests slices of 'hard' vegetables (like radish, carrot, kholrabi, even cucumbers) and putting 'dabs' of vegetarian spreads, or seasoned cheese, etc.

you can also get cans of stuffed grape vine leaves (yummy!).

polenta squares with a topping: roast vegetables, or mushroom sauce (if you want to try this i can give the recipe i used once for a party). I thin you can buy the rolls ready made if you want to save prep time.

tortillas spread with vegetarian/dairy combinations, then rolled and sliced:
-feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, black olives
-goat cheese, thin slices of fruit (like fresh figs or halved grapes).
- hummous, olives

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

magicdomino

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »
How about an antipasto plate with different kinds of olives, cheeses and pickled vegetables?