Author Topic: Vegetarian appetizers  (Read 1922 times)

dinakitten

Re: Vegetarian appetizers
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
Well you can make the stuffing in advance. Just pre-cook and pre-mix and pop in the fridge.

Be careful with stuffing if you want the vegetarian to be able to eat it. Last time I checked (maybe a year or two ago) all the Stove Top flavors had chicken fat in them. There were other brands that did not, but I had to look.

dinakitten

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »
For pretty normal, non-obviously vegetarian oriented stuff: Tons of pasta salads, egg salad, potato salad

Other than that, there are tons of recipes for eggplant stuff, and those usually go over well.

How would you feel about using seitan (wheat gluten)? (It's sooooo good. Trust me, super super easy to cook with.)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 02:51:33 PM »
how many different appetizers are you serving? i didn't realize people even served appetizers on T-giving (there is so much FOOD on T-giving....)

There is a lot of food on Thanksgiving, but we usually get together an hour or two before the meal is served, so we have a few nibbles on the coffee table.  I'm planning on a store bought dip (Trader Joe's cilantro something or other, I forgot what it's called), because nobody can get enough of it, one vegetarian nibbly, and one other that may or may not be vegetarian.  Nothing horribly filling, just passed appetizer kind of things to get everyone salivating for my brother's delicious meal :)

edenparadox

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 12:51:36 AM »
Well you can make the stuffing in advance. Just pre-cook and pre-mix and pop in the fridge.

Be careful with stuffing if you want the vegetarian to be able to eat it. Last time I checked (maybe a year or two ago) all the Stove Top flavors had chicken fat in them. There were other brands that did not, but I had to look.

Noooooooo. Sorry for the misunderstanding but I meant she should make her own stuffing. Saute some veggies and mix with bread crumbs, herbs, spices, a little oil if needed, some pecorino or parm cheese. Yum. It's really easy.

dinakitten

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 01:44:04 AM »

Noooooooo. Sorry for the misunderstanding but I meant she should make her own stuffing. Saute some veggies and mix with bread crumbs, herbs, spices, a little oil if needed, some pecorino or parm cheese. Yum. It's really easy.

Ha! I give. You are much more the cook than me. :) If something takes more than 20 minutes to cook, as a general rule, I don't make it.  ;D

edenparadox

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 12:26:21 PM »

Ha! I give. You are much more the cook than me. :) If something takes more than 20 minutes to cook, as a general rule, I don't make it.  ;D

Sometimes I think I might be mental. My Thanksgiving turkey takes three days...

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 01:00:18 PM »

I make everything from scratch and most of what i cook takes just a few minutes to put together. (this doesn't include the actually cook/roast/bake time). I just find it healthier and cheaper to cook from scratch and i have a repertoire of interesting recipes (from the kind that take 2 minutes to make but taste like you've been standing over a hot stove all day long >:D)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

edenparadox

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »

I make everything from scratch and most of what i cook takes just a few minutes to put together. (this doesn't include the actually cook/roast/bake time). I just find it healthier and cheaper to cook from scratch and i have a repertoire of interesting recipes (from the kind that take 2 minutes to make but taste like you've been standing over a hot stove all day long >:D)

Feel free to... ya know... share...  ;D

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »
I cook most things from scratch, too.  It's how I learned to cook - didn't know soup came in cans until I left home for university.