Author Topic: Should I ask or not?  (Read 2238 times)

Noodles

Should I ask or not?
« on: January 12, 2007, 09:52:05 AM »
When having company over for coffee or tea, do I ask them if they would like a piece of pie or cake or do I just serve them a portion.  I'm afraid that some of my quests will be to  shy to except even if they did want some.

Verruca

Re: Should I ask or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 10:07:18 AM »
I will get out the cake/pie/cookies/whatever, preslice it or arrange it on a serving dish, and set it out in front of my guest(s) and me, with plates/forks/napkins/whatever.  *Then* I'll ask if they'd like a piece.  Once I've done all the work of getting everything out and ready to serve, I can convince myself that the refusal is genuine rather than stemming from a reluctance to make me do "extra" work.  It also means that I can say, "If you change your mind, please feel free to help yourself."

I'd rather not serve a piece unasked - I wouldn't want anyone to feel forced to eat anything they don't want.

Gileswench

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:18:21 PM »
Never serve a snack unasked...unless it's part of a meal everyone has been invited to. Whether because they're dieting, have dietary restrictions, or just aren't in the mood for sweets ATM, some people are not going to want to partake.

Verruca's suggestion of having everything ready to just slip on the plate is a good one. That way you won't get people forgoing the cake or the pie because they're worried about looking greedy for asking for the first slice. Even then, though, there will always be those who don't want the treat or cannot eat it.

Noodles

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:12:04 AM »
Verruca,
I never thought of that, what a great idea.  Thank you so much for the help.