Author Topic: snacks for writing group  (Read 1578 times)

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
    • Seven Archangels: Annihilation
snacks for writing group
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:35:19 AM »
I'll probalby end up making cookies for my writing group this weekend, but I wish I could make something exciting and thrilling.  Plus, one woman can't do sugary snacks, so I'll bring her a string cheese.

I don't want to bring cheese and crackers because they'll get funky before I go home. And membership is really variable, so I have to bring food for 15 and assume only 5 will show up.

I did pumpkin muffins last time, but I don't think I have any more canned pumpkin. Brownies would work except for the sugar-restricted person...

Snacks aren't mandatory, but we're trying to lure writers back to the group, and one way I'm doing that is by mentioning the yummy snacks in every one of our newsletter updates.  :-\

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

Tabris is on indefinite hiatus. You can still visit me at my weblog. Thank you.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Re: snacks for writing group
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »
Veggie tray!!! And maybe some chips and dip, or a bread bowl dip. Then some Piroulene to snack on for those who can have sugar...
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:40:28 AM »
Vegetable tray?  They have them premade in the delis now, for around $10 or under.  they're fine unrefrigerated for a short time, just keep the cover on till you serve.

A cheese ball with crackers instead of sliced cheese?  Most are meant to be served room temp, and the covering of nuts or seeds or whatever help them to keep from getting funky.  I have a good, simple garlic cheese ball recipe if you'd like.

Mini-loaves of nut/fruit breads?  You can make one non-sugary (can she have fruit?  Make banana nut bread)

An antipasto tray of olives, mini-pickles, salami slices and so forth?  Savory, not sweet, and the items are preserved, so room temp shouldn't be a problem.

My brain's a little fuzzy at this hour, but that's what I can come up with so far.  I'll post more later if I think of something else.  (Can you tell I used to do a *lot* of entertaining?)

- saphie

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
    • Seven Archangels: Annihilation
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:43:28 AM »
These are good ideas! I hadn't thought of the veggie tray angle. And bread bowls might work, but I'm not sure because of the variability of the membership, but I'll look into it.

Thanks!

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

Tabris is on indefinite hiatus. You can still visit me at my weblog. Thank you.

Adah

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »
Also, don't discount the frozen food section for snack ideas. You could serve hot taquitoes, mini-pizzas, egg rolls... there are all kinds of ready to bake apps there.

Another hit would be shrimp and cocktail sauce. Most groceries have bags of already cooked frozen shrimp. Just buy a bag or two, put the shrimp in cool water to defrost and mound them up on a big plate with some spicy cocktail sauce. It's really not that expensive but it sure does look like it!

personalcheffie

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 06:53:08 PM »
Bruschetta is always a hit.  Tomato or olive topped baguette, yummy and healthy.

Gileswench

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 09:24:54 PM »
Some cookie and pie recipes work just as well with alternate sweeteners as they do with regular sugar. Basically, you're looking for recipes where the sugar doesn't need to caramelize and isn't needed to leaven the treat. In fact, I just got through making an apple-raspberry pie with Splenda today. My diabetic husband can't wait to get home and have a slice!

For the savory items, I like the idea of veggie trays, cheese balls, and antipasto plates. All of these can be left a while at room temperature without going bad.