Author Topic: The Marlboro Man?  (Read 2314 times)

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
The Marlboro Man?
« on: January 12, 2007, 11:10:15 AM »
Several years ago, I was on a city bus.  This guy gets on with a big plastic grocery sack full of cartons of cigarettes.  He noticed I was rudely (sorry) staring at all these cigarettes.  I thought to myself "Who HAS that many cigarettes and why so many brands?

He must have read my rude mind, because he felt compelled to explain.  He said he buys them for the patients in the psych ward of the local hospital.  "Because they have noone to get them for them and they're all so miserable to begin with."

I suspect he knew of which he spoke.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: The Marlboro Man?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 07:03:14 PM »
Heh heh ... good man.

Once upon a time i spent some time in a similar facility. I'll never forget when my dad came to visit he said that if he won the lottery that week he was going to have a truck pull up & dump cartons of cigarettes on the front lawn. It still makes me smile to think about.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 10:36:18 PM »
I was in that part of the hospital at one point in my life and my dad would bring me cigarettes as well. They were the best part of my day back then.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 12:16:24 AM »
We should start a club.

Psych Ward Alumni.

Count me in!

Buffy2424

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 06:07:58 PM »
They let you smoke inside at the psych ward?

Homeless people really appreciate getting cigs.  I'm not a heavy smoker, so on the street I have them to pass out.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 06:46:33 PM »
They have a really, really small room that they open up for 15 minutes every 2 hours, although they close it at night.

They close the door, but if you walk by it when it's in use, the smell is overpowering.

Don't ask me how I know.

Buffy2424

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 08:50:43 PM »
Oh, okay.  Like at the airport.  Still, not bad.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 09:10:39 PM »

We had to go outside. Luckily it was summertime when i was there. I did hear that they put an end to smoking privelidges altogether sometimme later. I cannot even imagine that working.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem