So this just happened and I thought I'd share before an intense session with Google.
I took clothes out of my (front load HD) washer and noticed there was some water in the rubber seal area. This is new, so I investigated. It seems it is new because there are little holes in the seal to drain excess water. And these were blocked with....something. Good news is it did smell (just finished a load of laundry). Bad news is it looks like it should reek of swamp muck, and I just finished a load of clothes.
So some paper towel wiping/poking got a lot of stuff. I think I'll get tweezers and see if i can get more, and then find out how to best 'clean' my washer. and sterilize the tweezers.