News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 29, 2017, 08:45:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 1407610 times)

GreenHall

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #7020 on: April 23, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
So this just happened and I thought I'd share before an intense session with Google.

I took clothes out of my (front load HD) washer and noticed there was some water in the rubber seal area.  This is new, so I investigated.  It seems it is new because there are little holes in the seal to drain excess water.  And these were blocked with....something.  Good news is it did smell (just finished a load of laundry).  Bad news is it looks like it should reek of swamp muck, and I just finished a load of clothes.

So some paper towel wiping/poking got a lot of stuff.  I think I'll get tweezers and see if i can get more, and then find out how to best 'clean' my washer.  and sterilize the tweezers.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7021 on: April 23, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
So this just happened and I thought I'd share before an intense session with Google.

I took clothes out of my (front load HD) washer and noticed there was some water in the rubber seal area.  This is new, so I investigated.  It seems it is new because there are little holes in the seal to drain excess water.  And these were blocked with....something.  Good news is it did smell (just finished a load of laundry).  Bad news is it looks like it should reek of swamp muck, and I just finished a load of clothes.

So some paper towel wiping/poking got a lot of stuff.  I think I'll get tweezers and see if i can get more, and then find out how to best 'clean' my washer.  and sterilize the tweezers.

My front load washer gets the seal clogged with my hair, any bits of paper or lint that are in the washer, and I just use a paper towel to pull the big parts out then go through it.

Run a hot bleach load every few months to get rid of it.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #7022 on: April 23, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »
The same funky buildup was in my SILs dishwasher over Thanksgiving- the dishes at their house had to be washed by hand...by my brother, who was supposed to be recovering from shoulder surgery.  She wanted to put off doing the dishes until after breakfast the next day...

I peeled a ribbon of gunk of the bottom of the door seal.  The dishwasher would not run at all.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

GreenHall

« Reply #7023 on: April 23, 2017, 01:42:21 PM »
Glad to know it's not just me.  Sanitize heat bleach wash running now.  (There is not a 'clean the machine' option). 

I tried one of the 'clean your machine' packets by Tide or someone once, but could not handle the perfume it left all over the machine, and my clothes the next few washes.