News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2016, 06:26:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adventures In Voting: Here's My Horror Story, What's Yours?  (Read 2739 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Adventures In Voting: Here's My Horror Story, What's Yours?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 08:40:49 AM »

However.....this did not prevent random people in the grocery store from stopping me (ie, standing in front of me/my cart so I couldn't go where I needed to without running them over) and telling me repeatedly that I needed to do my civic duty and go vote.  Politely saying "I did vote, excuse me" was insufficient, because I did not have the pretty little "I Voted!" sticker on my clothing. I swear, the lack of one made me a magnet for these champions of voting.

Not for nothing, but not every polling location even HAS stickers. while most of my friends voted, several joked online that they didn't get a sticker :(

What irks me is people who vote on their way into work, but act like I'm a horrible person because I did not. Well, my polling place is on the opposite side of a county highway. Meaning I'd have to make two u-turns in rush hour just to get there! Its much easier to go on my way home, as I go in, park, vote, and come back out and continue on my merry way home.

Just because I don't do it early doens't mean I'm not going to.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 09:09:41 AM »
One of the higher level people at work went around and told anyone that if they voted early or by mail their vote did not count.  ::)

Well, s/he was partially correct. Absentee ballots are not counted unless the results are very, very close or contested. If it's not close enough that the absentee ballots would actually make a difference in the result they just don't count them. This invalidates argument regarding who got the popular vote (in any election) because the true number is almost never known.

That's not true and that rumor has been debunked multiple times.  All votes must be counted whether they are early (absentee) or cast on Election day. Vote counting is still happening in states all over the country. 
Maryland

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »
One of the higher level people at work went around and told anyone that if they voted early or by mail their vote did not count.  ::)

Well, s/he was partially correct. Absentee ballots are not counted unless the results are very, very close or contested. If it's not close enough that the absentee ballots would actually make a difference in the result they just don't count them. This invalidates argument regarding who got the popular vote (in any election) because the true number is almost never known.

That's not true and that rumor has been debunked multiple times.  All votes must be counted whether they are early (absentee) or cast on Election day. Vote counting is still happening in states all over the country.

Really? I'm sorry that I posted misinformation. I heard that on the news so I thought it was true. My bad.  :(

ETA: And you know, that was really dumb of me. That doesn't take into account that the presidency isn't the only race being decided in an election. I know we had some issues to vote on in my state, as well as some smaller elections, for which a small number of votes would make a difference in the outcome. Absentee ballots would have to be counted! Shame on me--I like to think I'm usually smarter than that. :-[
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:28:39 AM by SamiHami »

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »

Really? I'm sorry that I posted misinformation. I heard that on the news so I thought it was true. My bad.  :(

ETA: And you know, that was really dumb of me. That doesn't take into account that the presidency isn't the only race being decided in an election. I know we had some issues to vote on in my state, as well as some smaller elections, for which a small number of votes would make a difference in the outcome. Absentee ballots would have to be counted! Shame on me--I like to think I'm usually smarter than that. :-[

And I'm sorry as well.  I didn't mean to sound so harsh.  It's just that absentee voting has a lot of misinformation around it and there are many states where it's used to actively disenfranchise voters.  So I should have modulated my response before hitting post. 
Maryland

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 01:53:37 PM »

More accurate to say "absentee votes aren't usually considered at the time the news outlets announce the winner unless it's a close election" - they get counted last, but they do get counted.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
That has never made sense to me.  They have the absentee ballots before election day.   They could have them counted BEFORE the polls open.   I can understand not announcing anything any earlier than they already do.   But when they do the first announcement, the absentee ballots should be included. 

But, there I go applying logic to government.   I am old enough to know better. 

PastryGoddess

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 03:42:28 PM »
That has never made sense to me.  They have the absentee ballots before election day.   They could have them counted BEFORE the polls open.   I can understand not announcing anything any earlier than they already do.   But when they do the first announcement, the absentee ballots should be included. 

But, there I go applying logic to government.   I am old enough to know better. 

Some states like North Carolina do count them before the election and report the results.  Other states, like Georgia, simply announce how many early and absentee votes they've received without going into who people are voting for.  It really is a state by state thing. 
Maryland

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 11:59:26 AM »
Ok, where are you guys voting that you get free donuts?

We voted early, no line, less than 5 minutes. I go my "I voted" sticker in Spanish.

No horror stories.

One presidential election my husband was turned away from voting because he didn't have a voter registration card with him. He had a valid driver's license and they still turned him away. We should have reported it but we didn't, I can't remember why.