Author Topic: Dave Barry on 50 Shades of Grey  (Read 1048 times)

GreenHall

Dave Barry on 50 Shades of Grey
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »

Luci45

• Super Hero!
Re: Dave Barry on 50 Shades of Grey
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 01:57:52 PM »
Thank you! Dave Barry speaks to me in so many ways, so often, and this gave me answers to so many of my questions!  :)  :D  ;D

I did laugh out loud.

lowspark

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:37:17 PM »
Thanks for posting that. He hit the nail on the head! Hilarious!

Hillia

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »
Are those excerpts real?  I had little to no interest in reading the book, but if that's an example of the writing style, I might read it just for the entertainment value.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 06:41:03 PM »
Yes, the excerpts are real.  Check out Jenny Trout's Jenny Reads 50 Shades for a much better solution - hilarious snark with the best (worst?) excerpts, without having to actually read the darn things  :P

heartmug

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »
LOL!  Dave Barry never fails to deliver.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 11:29:45 PM »
Yes, the excerpts are real.  Check out Jenny Trout's Jenny Reads 50 Shades for a much better solution - hilarious snark with the best (worst?) excerpts, without having to actually read the darn things  :P

That got a snort out of me and I don't typically snort when laughing.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Alli8098

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 02:59:21 PM »
Are those excerpts real?  I had little to no interest in reading the book, but if that's an example of the writing style, I might read it just for the entertainment value.

LOL, thank deity that I'm not the only one who had no interest in reading the series.  For some reason it sounded juvenile to me, but Dave Barry made me laugh with his little review.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »
I had little interest in the book, too. Some curiosity, but that was quickly cured by reading the Amazon sample and hearing some accounts of how it was Twilight fanfiction that got published, basically.

I've been reading Jenny Trout's recaps though and that's enough for me to know I really don't want to read any of it now.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 07:09:09 PM »
I nearly fell off the couch laughing last night when I remembered this thread.

I read some of the comments about how the book always references her "inner goddess".

I was watching "Castle" last night and Beckett had a line something about "dancing with her inner goddess" and I cracked up.

Had to explain to Mr. Dragon that it was a 50 Shades reference. Thankfully, he didn't ask me *how* I came by this information.  8)

poundcake

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 02:00:14 PM »
I love Jenny Trout's recaps, but few things have made me as angry as 50 Shades.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:33:59 PM »
I watched Titanic the other day and had a thought that if not for the fact he's probably too old for the part of Christian Gray, Billy Zane (Who played Cal, Rose's fiance) would have been good in that part.