Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 224622 times)

Frog24

Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #1065 on: September 29, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
The unexpected one I saw the other day was a bit of graffiti.  On the stop sign, someone had written "Hammer Time!".  It was completely unexpected and made me giggle.  The better part is that I mentioned it to others who I KNOW went past the sign and they didn't see it.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1066 on: September 30, 2011, 11:05:08 AM »
The signs on the boarding around a rubble-strewn, soon-to-be-construction-site near me, bearing the name of the local company who knocked down the original building:

LOST WORLD DEMOLITION

Aside from the obvious amusement, I can't pass them without entertaining thoughts of Professor Challenger and a horde of dinosaurs leaping majestically over the boarding, and galloping off into the city centre.

There's a company in town called "Priest Demolition". Now, my head tells me that it's simply owned by a family named Priest, but my heart insists that if you use them, you will get a bunch of people in robes bring the building down by blowing ram's horns.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Pinky830

« Reply #1067 on: September 30, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »
This was funnier when it didn't need so much explaining, but here goes anyway. DH is a real estate appraiser. Appraisers generate reports about the subject property and the nearby comparable sales, or "comps." On one page of the report, there is a map with arrows pointing at "Subject," "Comp 1," "Comp 2" and so on. These days you click and drag them on a screen, of course, but at the time they were still doing paper reports. You rubbed the little arrows on from a transfer sheet.

So anyway, there was a postcard on the bulletin board with Heathcliff the cat next to a huge stone lion, with the caption "Dream Big!" It didn't take long before someone had added a "Comp 1" arrow pointing at Heathcliff.

wendelenn

« Reply #1068 on: October 02, 2011, 03:27:55 PM »
Sign at the Express clothing store

SALE
ALL WOMEN'S BOTTOMS
MIX & MATCH
BUY ONE
GET ONE 50 PERCENT OFF
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1069 on: October 04, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »
The signs on the boarding around a rubble-strewn, soon-to-be-construction-site near me, bearing the name of the local company who knocked down the original building:

LOST WORLD DEMOLITION

Aside from the obvious amusement, I can't pass them without entertaining thoughts of Professor Challenger and a horde of dinosaurs leaping majestically over the boarding, and galloping off into the city centre.

There's a company in town called "Priest Demolition". Now, my head tells me that it's simply owned by a family named Priest, but my heart insists that if you use them, you will get a bunch of people in robes bring the building down by blowing ram's horns.

To be fair, that WOULD be quite a sight.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1070 on: October 04, 2011, 11:15:29 PM »
I soooo wanted to take a picture of this at the mall yesterday:

ALL TOPS!
BUY ONE, GET ONE
HALF OFF!

*Selected styles only

What part of ALL did the sign writer not understand???

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1071 on: October 05, 2011, 12:14:31 PM »
I soooo wanted to take a picture of this at the mall yesterday:

ALL TOPS!
BUY ONE, GET ONE
HALF OFF!

*Selected styles only

What part of ALL did the sign writer not understand???

Not only that, but this makes it sound like if you buy a shirt the employees will flash you one boob or something  :P

Ashaela

« Reply #1072 on: October 05, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
Not really a sign, but the message currently flashing on one of our printers says "RIP Software".    :-\

This seemed particularly apropos, as the past week has included: repeated database failures; one fax machine completely out of service; another printer working and then broken and then working again and then broken again; email failures; program errors; all in enough quantity to give me fantasies of going "Office Space" on all our equipment....

I think the printer is telling me to go for it.   >:D
Hooray, it's raining!

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1073 on: October 05, 2011, 02:36:30 PM »
"Stoner Family Funeral Home"

I can't help but picture services being held in a room full of white smoke and people wearing paisley shirts and bell bottoms.  Thanks, "That 70s Show."

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1074 on: October 05, 2011, 07:57:12 PM »
Check out this steal of a deal I found at my local Shopper's Drug Mart!

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #1075 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:15 PM »
Check out this steal of a deal I found at my local Shopper's Drug Mart!

Hey, at that price, you should stock up! >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

evil_xylo

« Reply #1076 on: October 06, 2011, 05:10:50 PM »
You know how some towns have population signs as you enter?

One tiny tiny town near us has a population sign that lists the number of dogs and cats in the town too. 

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #1077 on: October 07, 2011, 08:03:10 PM »
I have a pair of them. I was working in Pontiac this week on a project for Chrysler. Entering the parking garage, there is a sign that reads:

Competitive Vehicle Parking on Roof Only.

As you enter the roof level, another one says: Competitive Vehicle Parking Beyond This Point.

I know what they mean to say, but the wording puts me in mind of a demolition derby on the roof, with rival Hondas, BMWs and Fords bashing and smashing into each other for a few coveted spots, like a car version of musical chairs.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #1078 on: October 07, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
You know how some towns have population signs as you enter?

One tiny tiny town near us has a population sign that lists the number of dogs and cats in the town too.

I passed a sign last week that said

Lost Springs
Pop. 4

We almost went back and took a picture.

wendelenn

« Reply #1079 on: October 07, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »
I have a pair of them. I was working in Pontiac this week on a project for Chrysler. Entering the parking garage, there is a sign that reads:

Competitive Vehicle Parking on Roof Only.

As you enter the roof level, another one says: Competitive Vehicle Parking Beyond This Point.

I know what they mean to say, but the wording puts me in mind of a demolition derby on the roof, with rival Hondas, BMWs and Fords bashing and smashing into each other for a few coveted spots, like a car version of musical chairs.

OK, you've got me--what is "competitive vehicle parking"?
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."