Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 264434 times)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #1080 on: October 07, 2011, 10:13:43 PM »
I have a pair of them. I was working in Pontiac this week on a project for Chrysler. Entering the parking garage, there is a sign that reads:

Competitive Vehicle Parking on Roof Only.

As you enter the roof level, another one says: Competitive Vehicle Parking Beyond This Point.

I know what they mean to say, but the wording puts me in mind of a demolition derby on the roof, with rival Hondas, BMWs and Fords bashing and smashing into each other for a few coveted spots, like a car version of musical chairs.

OK, you've got me--what is "competitive vehicle parking"?

What it's meant to say is *Competitor* Vehicle Parking, as in cars not made by Chrysler or affiliates. Sort of how people who work at say, Abercrombie, need to wear those clothes when they work, Chrysler doesn't want competitors' cars displayed at their own headquarters. (Although my beat-up Civic is kind of a doubtful advertisement for Honda when up against a brand-new 300 anyway)
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

wendelenn

« Reply #1081 on: October 07, 2011, 10:27:54 PM »
I have a pair of them. I was working in Pontiac this week on a project for Chrysler. Entering the parking garage, there is a sign that reads:

Competitive Vehicle Parking on Roof Only.

As you enter the roof level, another one says: Competitive Vehicle Parking Beyond This Point.

I know what they mean to say, but the wording puts me in mind of a demolition derby on the roof, with rival Hondas, BMWs and Fords bashing and smashing into each other for a few coveted spots, like a car version of musical chairs.

OK, you've got me--what is "competitive vehicle parking"?

What it's meant to say is *Competitor* Vehicle Parking, as in cars not made by Chrysler or affiliates. Sort of how people who work at say, Abercrombie, need to wear those clothes when they work, Chrysler doesn't want competitors' cars displayed at their own headquarters. (Although my beat-up Civic is kind of a doubtful advertisement for Honda when up against a brand-new 300 anyway)

Ah, that makes sense. :)
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1082 on: October 09, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »
You know how some towns have population signs as you enter?

One tiny tiny town near us has a population sign that lists the number of dogs and cats in the town too.

I passed a sign last week that said

Lost Springs
Pop. 4

We almost went back and took a picture.

Wagontire, Idaho
Pop 3

Yeah, we shoulda gone back for the picture!

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #1083 on: October 11, 2011, 07:53:27 AM »
A New Zealand church, with less than a week to go till the Rugby World Cup semi-finals...

Photograph: Kim Ludbrook/EPA. Published in The Guardian.

Cuddlepie

« Reply #1084 on: October 16, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
Today I read a news headline....sort of a sign....right ?

"Airline loses child.  Mother offered voucher."

I read it and blinked hard, 'cos I took it literally for a second or two.  :D

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #1085 on: October 17, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »

What was the actual story??

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #1086 on: October 17, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »

What was the actual story??

I found this

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/news/qantas-loses-boy-sorry-heres-a-travel-voucher/story-fn32891l-1226168118089

Cuddlepie

« Reply #1087 on: October 17, 2011, 07:11:06 PM »
drebay - thanks for adding the link.   Cuddlepie

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #1088 on: October 18, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »
drebay - thanks for adding the link.   Cuddlepie

You are most welcome.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #1089 on: October 20, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »
This thread is too much fun!

On a hike up to a cave I saw a sign that said, "Running can be hazardous to your health." I took a picture to turn in at gym because I hated running.

At Bryce Canyon in Utah there was a sign that said to find shade and wait for help if you get lost. Not so bad, but the picture they had on the sign showed miles of desert and a sad tiny tree that provided next to no shade.

While shopping at the toy store a few weeks ago we I saw a sign that said "Save $0!" Upon closer inspection, it turns out that the sale price was $44.99 and the original price was $39.99. It made me laugh as is, but part of me wishes it said "Save -$5.00!"

Last one I can think of right now is the name of a town in South Dakota. It's called Pukwana and the smell around it was horrible! I don't know that it should be pronounced puke-wanna, but it sure seemed appropriate.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1090 on: October 20, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »
My favorite headline spotted in a local newspaper was "Glass Eyes Nomination".

I was rather disappointed to discover it was a man named Glass who was considering running for election.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #1091 on: October 20, 2011, 05:27:19 PM »
This was funnier when it didn't need so much explaining, but here goes anyway. DH is a real estate appraiser. Appraisers generate reports about the subject property and the nearby comparable sales, or "comps." On one page of the report, there is a map with arrows pointing at "Subject," "Comp 1," "Comp 2" and so on. These days you click and drag them on a screen, of course, but at the time they were still doing paper reports. You rubbed the little arrows on from a transfer sheet.

So anyway, there was a postcard on the bulletin board with Heathcliff the cat next to a huge stone lion, with the caption "Dream Big!" It didn't take long before someone had added a "Comp 1" arrow pointing at Heathcliff.

I am reviewing real estate appraisals right now (or will be, when my break is over), and that made laugh. We underwriters have our own little bits of appraisal humor (that probably no one else finds funny)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #1092 on: October 20, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
Not a sign, but an e-mail popped up in my inbox with the following title:

Defeat Dracula with the flick of a switch!

It was a sale notice from Ott-Light.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1093 on: October 20, 2011, 11:11:38 PM »
Not a sign, but an e-mail popped up in my inbox with the following title:

Defeat Dracula with the flick of a switch!

It was a sale notice from Ott-Light.

HAHA!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

snowfire

« Reply #1094 on: November 20, 2011, 01:37:23 AM »
Not a sign, but a product.

DH & I were at Cabela's tonight seeing if there was anything we were interested in for their big sale tomorrow.  I happened to look at some boxes of ammo that were sitting on the counter in the gun department...
http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax
I howled.