A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

Signs that crack you up

<< < (238/275) > >>

Twik:
This is not a sign, but an on-line headline from yesterday in Toronto:

BREAKING - GLASS FALLS 34 STOREYS FROM SKYSCRAPER!

Yes, I guess it would break....

violinp:

--- Quote from: Twik on November 15, 2012, 02:07:14 PM ---This is not a sign, but an on-line headline from yesterday in Toronto:

BREAKING - GLASS FALLS 34 STOREYS FROM SKYSCRAPER!

Yes, I guess it would break....

--- End quote ---

Heeee!

Twik:

--- Quote from: Luci45 on June 12, 2012, 02:36:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Thipu1 on June 12, 2012, 01:53:34 PM ---It may be an urban legend but there is a story about signs in the New Jersey Capitol.

One of the counties in New Jersey is 'Middlesex County'.  According to the story, the county office in the state house is located between restrooms.  If you walk down the hall you will see, 'Men', 'Middlesex' and 'Women'.

--- End quote ---
Sadly, it must be a legend. There are Middlesex Counties in Virginia and Massachusetts as well as New Jersey. Middlesex county is in England.

In trying to find the derivation, all I can come up with is Essex was the land of Saxons, which makes sense in old English. I can't find the derivation of 'middle'!

--- End quote ---

I presume it's in between Essex (East Saxons) and Wessex (West Saxons).

Luci:

--- Quote from: Twik on November 15, 2012, 02:56:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: Thipu1 on June 12, 2012, 01:53:34 PM ---It may be an urban legend but there is a story about signs in the New Jersey Capitol.

One of the counties in New Jersey is 'Middlesex County'.  According to the story, the county office in the state house is located between restrooms.  If you walk down the hall you will see, 'Men', 'Middlesex' and 'Women'.

--- End quote ---
Sadly, it must be a legend. There are Middlesex Counties in Virginia and Massachusetts as well as New Jersey. Middlesex county is in England.

In trying to find the derivation, all I can come up with is Essex was the land of Saxons, which makes sense in old English. I can't find the derivation of 'middle'!

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

We must make the leap sometimes that 'middle' means 'middle' and has for over 500 or 1000 years.

It astounds me that we are so connected with our ancestors and predecessors. An amazing connection.

(I love having all the information at my fingertips, too! Amazing!)

greencat:

--- Quote from: Luci45 on November 15, 2012, 03:46:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Twik on November 15, 2012, 02:56:18 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

We must make the leap sometimes that 'middle' means 'middle' and has for over 500 or 1000 years.

It astounds me that we are so connected with our ancestors and predecessors. An amazing connection.

(I love having all the information at my fingertips, too! Amazing!)

--- End quote ---

I believe "mid" derives from the Latin, so it should have been in use in that sense in the Dark Ages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version