News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 01:01:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 479016 times)

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #1335 on: September 20, 2014, 10:40:24 PM »
CHILDRENS FIRST
Christian school

I can't tell whether this is a childrens's first attempt at running a school or if it's "Think of the childrens!" taken to the extreme  :P but I'm not sure I'd send my kid to any school with such poor grammatical skills that they'd advertise them on the sign . . .

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1336 on: September 22, 2014, 06:04:03 AM »
A few weeks ago I saw this huge banner that was draped across an entire street.  It was for a church and was advertising a "Blessing of the backpacks".  Never seen that before.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1337 on: September 22, 2014, 09:00:03 AM »
Our church does a backpack and school supply drive, but we don't bless the backpacks.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1338 on: September 22, 2014, 05:14:48 PM »
A few weeks ago I saw this huge banner that was draped across an entire street.  It was for a church and was advertising a "Blessing of the backpacks".  Never seen that before.

Our church does this - it's basically a group prayer that everyone have a good school year.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1339 on: September 22, 2014, 06:05:15 PM »

Our church does this - it's basically a group prayer that everyone have a good school year.

My DH said that when he was young their church did it as well.  He said it was for a good academic year, but also for the safety of the wearer. That makes sense considering there were about 20 school pedestrian deaths in our county last year. It's just the first I'd seen it advertised.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

parrot_girl

« Reply #1340 on: October 08, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »
We spent a very nice holiday in Canberra last week, staying in a caravan park to the south of the city. To get there, we drove past a turf farm and passed the following three signs:

"Mown & Grown in Fyshwick"

"50 Shades of Green"

"It's Sexy and You Grow It"

I giggled madly. Even my rather dour husband was snickering.

chibichan

« Reply #1341 on: October 10, 2014, 06:28:59 AM »

This one is French.  I have no clue what information it's trying to convey.

Do not step on the Eye of Sauron.
FTW!!!

Gasping ...wheezing....eyes tearing .....face! hurts ! CRUD MONKEYS!...must.not.look at this post again ! 
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1342 on: October 11, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »
Driving down the highway last night we passed an industrial yard, with lots of pieces of machinery parked all around.

In the middle of all this was a 12'x12' metal garden shed, with the sign "Motel - Vacancy".

Can't imagine why it's still vacant!
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #1343 on: October 13, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
Not really a sign...

At the Met Museum in NYC, the entrance from the parking garage takes you directly to the Greek and Roman exhibit, aka "statues of nekked people". As you come up the stairs or exit the elevator, there's a larger than life statue of a man, with his back to you.

Yep, we were mooned by a statue.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #1344 on: October 14, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »
I feel bad about laughing at the "slow children at play" signs.  At least do "Slow! Children at play."

I think it was Ogden Nash who observed:
CROSS
   CHILDREN
WALK
Cheerful children ride

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1345 on: October 15, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »

This one is French.  I have no clue what information it's trying to convey.

Do not step on the Eye of Sauron.
FTW!!!

Gasping ...wheezing....eyes tearing .....face! hurts ! CRUD MONKEYS!...must.not.look at this post again ! 

wheezing...must stop looking...can't resist...wheezing....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #1346 on: October 15, 2014, 11:10:24 PM »
My dad took a picture of a sign hanging over a public toilet at a pub in Scotland, it reads,"please do not put anything into this toilet unless it has been eaten first."  I now have this framed and sitting on top of our downstairs half bath.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1347 on: October 19, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »
Seen at our grocery store yesterday:

A display of various types of mustards. One one side is a small sign identifying as "French's mustard, various $3.99".
All normal.

But...on *top* of the display was a huge sign announcing that it was " Beneful, 20 kg $32.99".

Beneful is a brand of dog food.   :)
Definitely not something I want to feed my dog. Or something she'd enjoy. ;D

I did point it out to a very, very baffled department manager, who was last seen wandering the store, apparently looking for a large pile of dog food that was missing a sign. ;D
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Thipu1

« Reply #1348 on: October 20, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »
In our neighborhood many businesses have blackboard signs on the sidewalk.  These may have daily specials listed or they might just have a quotation of some sort.  Usually, there's an Illustration. 

The local wine shop's sign today read 'Innocent grapes died for you!  Drink wine!'. The illustration was a bunch of grapes with 'Xs' for eyes. 

lilfox

« Reply #1349 on: October 20, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
Funny sign, Halloween edition:

Houses in our neighborhood now have Halloween decorations up.  My favorite so far is a yellow diamond-shaped sign that reads:

"EAT LOCALS"

With a sillhouette of a zombie chasing a guy on a tractor.