Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 191268 times)

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2008, 08:22:20 AM »
Reading PeasNCues' post (and laughing! ;D), one of them reminded me of the ancient joke...

A priest and a pastor from the local churches are standing by the road, pounding a sign into the ground that reads:

The End is Near!

Turn Yourself Around Now
Before it's Too Late!

A car sped past them, the driver yelling, "Leave us alone, you religious nuts!"

From around the curve they heard screeching tires and a big splash.

The priest turns to the pastor and asks, "Do you think the sign should just say: 'Bridge Out'?" ;)

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2008, 10:11:49 AM »
When I was a kid there was  a highway sign that read "Forest Park Bear Right".

How I looked for that bear on the right, but alas, it was not to be seen.

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2008, 01:42:44 PM »
On the way to the next town (where the nearest swimming pool was located), along an old state highway, there was one of those old, 1950s style signs in the shape of an arrow pointing down and then to the right.  You know, the kind with a row of light bulbs all along the edges?  Like what people did before there was neon?  The sign read "Sunny Side Motel".  And it pointed to....

nothing.  Just a corn field.  I guess there was a motel there originally, but it wasn't in my life time. 

Sadly, when I drove by there a few years ago, I noticed that someone had taken down the sign.  A shame, really.
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »
Not really a sign, but someone spraypainted "Surrender Dorothy" on a bridge over the DC Beltway just before you can see the LDS temple (kinda castle-looking).  It always made me smile.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2008, 03:03:46 PM »
There is still a sign on Hwy. 301, I think it is, for the Midway Diner. The diner was torn down 10 years ago, and the motel that goes with it is for sale.

I think the diner and motel must have been built in the late 1940s or early 1950s.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #170 on: January 19, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »
Not really a sign, but someone spraypainted "Surrender Dorothy" on a bridge over the DC Beltway just before you can see the LDS temple (kinda castle-looking).  It always made me smile.

I've never seen that, but a cousin of mine has. Everytime that happens (once a year or so) traffic comes to a halt because people take pictures. :)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Sleepingmediocre

« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2008, 12:18:29 AM »
Every day when I'm on my way to work, I always pass by this tattoo place. They have a prominent sign in front that reads:

"Tattoos: Buy one, get one free!"

For some reason, that cracks me up. What if you were only planning on getting one? Can another person with you do the free one?

I have a 365 Stupidest Things Ever Said page-a-day calendar, and one of the entries was a sign for a tattoo parlor that said "Tattoos Done While You Wait."  Or what?  Leave your arm and come back in an hour?

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2008, 12:33:22 AM »
There is a sign that I pass on my way to town that I remember seeing when I was in 9th grade (now 28).

It's hanging in front of a house that has a small area for a horse/pony (rather odd, considering the location, but hey....). "The prettiest gals in Michiana pass here. None stop."

A few times, I've been tempted to stop and ask them about the sign, but I've never had the guts to actually do it.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

jh

« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
From beautiful Bakersfield:

"No More Dirt"

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2008, 11:44:12 PM »
I stayed at a VERY small motel last year that had a sign out front advertising (letter size as was shown):

We have
COLOUR TV!
(And Hi speed internet)

Nice to see you're advertising your strongest feature first.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2008, 12:39:31 AM »
There are motels on the South End of Myrtle Beach (where renovation is happening ever-so-slowly) with signs that have not only COLOR TV, but have pictures of women in Jantzen bathing suits and those old-time bathing caps.

Then "Free Internet Access" is usually added on the marquee.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

MNdragonlady

« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2008, 02:12:15 AM »
In DH's home town, there was a small shop just off the main drag whose main sign stated it was a "Children's Recycling Shop". Further investigation revealed it was a consignment shop that specialized in children's clothing. We did get a picture at some point, but I have no idea where it is anymore.

Sadly, the shop has since closed. I always looked forward to the little giggle I experienced upon passing by the sign.

GotSquatch

« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2008, 05:12:35 AM »
The church near my sisters place had on their sign  "Walmart's not the only place for Savings"

Now that I think about it, i should have stopped and taken a photo.
  The Bear and The Bee 

LB

« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »
There is a vet's office near my parents house. Every year near Father's Day their sign advertises their neutering special. Every Mother's Day, it advertises a spaying special!

We drove by one day and they were hiring. Their sign said "Help wanted. But you have to be funny."

officeworker

• just sitting in my cell - er, cubicle
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2008, 11:47:39 AM »
Check out these signs I saw last week in Key West, Florida.  Interesting juxtaposition, don't you think?

I wonder if their rates for both the concrete repair and the dermabrasion are the same?   ;D