Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 214766 times)

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »
Somewhere on a NC highway: "Bat Cave: exit 1/4m" My sister and I would beg to see Batman (coolest superhero ever) and then ask why Batman needed directions. And how he was going to keep his secret hideout secret if he posted signs.

I've seen that too!  I think it's on I-40.  And I think we have a picture somewhere.  I'll have to ask my mom.

We used to pass that one all the time on the way down to Charleston SC

The people I work with refused to believe that one though. and I got all kids of Batman jokes the other day.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

celine.lechat

« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2008, 08:37:13 PM »
My favorites are in French, it's too bad they can't be translated (at least, not without lenghty explanations).

Still, I once found those two signs pointing opposite way.
they read : All directions and Other directions (I swear it's true!)

My favorite Chinglish sign is on the door of my parent's apartment in Shanghai. It reads : Don't wait fire will escape on stairs. (not sure of the exact phrasing)

There are big screens in the subway with various info, personal messages... At my stop they're always covered with a "currently out of order" sign. Two days ago I saw they were working. Someone had taped a sign on one of the screens stating "This screen is currently in working order."

Finally my grandmother keeps old newspapers, and I found in one of those an ad for a matrimonial agency that boasted... a fitting room. (I realize this does not sound as fun in English. in french we call that "salon d'essayage", literal translation is "the room where you can try on before you purchase")
Most likely a printing error as the clothing shop featured in the next add had... a conversation room.

kisu

« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2008, 07:19:08 AM »
Many 1990's Opel cars have the sticker "Look at Opel now!" on their rear windows. It might've been good advertising back then, but now, when the car is rusty and the model is old... Look at poor Opel now, indeed!

celine.lechat

« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2008, 10:12:51 AM »
I was looking today for colored glass lamps to decorate our balcony. I found some and discovered while reading the user's instructions that they're "for inside or outside use only."

Shea

« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2008, 10:20:56 AM »
There used to be a firm of oral surgeons in my hometown (the ONLY oral surgeons for about 200 miles around so it wasn't like you had a choice) called Slaughter & Savage.

I saw a sign on a café in Paris stating, in big pink neon letters, FRENCH FOOD. Well, thanks for telling us!

There are lots of signs in the hills where I grew up saying Wildfire Evacuation Route and pointing in the appropriate direction, but my friend Caitlin once misread it and said, "Why do we need a Wildlife Evacuation Route? Can't they get out on their own?" ;D

On a chalkboard menu outside another French café of the type that sells crepes, ice cream and drinks, I saw the advertisement "Poissons Frais" (Fresh Fish). I assume some wag erased the bottom bit of the B and it was meant to be "Boissons Frais" (Cold Drinks). But it made me giggle.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:25:37 AM by Shea »

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2008, 01:14:24 PM »
I was looking today for colored glass lamps to decorate our balcony. I found some and discovered while reading the user's instructions that they're "for inside or outside use only."

I like the one on the box of knives:
Keep out of children
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2008, 01:19:13 PM »
Every day, I pass by "Family Tattoo," and every time it makes me giggle, but I keep forgetting to take a picture :(

I'd like to see that family.  ;)

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2008, 01:57:56 PM »
Every day, I pass by "Family Tattoo," and every time it makes me giggle, but I keep forgetting to take a picture :(

I'd like to see that family.  ;)

Why do I have feeling that will be my family once Ed and I have children in their teens?  Ed's itching to get a new one.  I like to tease him about the last one - he fell asleep during it! 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »
Well, now you know where to go, Leebee :)

celine.lechat

« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2008, 11:02:23 AM »
On a chalkboard menu outside another French café of the type that sells crepes, ice cream and drinks, I saw the advertisement "Poissons Frais" (Fresh Fish). I assume some wag erased the bottom bit of the B and it was meant to be "Boissons Frais" (Cold Drinks). But it made me giggle.

Actually "fresh drinks" is Boissons fraîches in French.
The idea still makes me giggle, and I have no idea why such a place would advertise the fact that they sell fresh fish!

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2008, 01:41:39 PM »
In Vienna, it's usual for restaurants to post a sandwich board on the sidewalk outside with the daily specials chalked on.  On my way past, I noticed a very strange special, which had me in stitches in no time.  Instead of "Wolfsbarsch", a type of fish, some passerby had erased the "b" in the middle, leaving...

"Wolfs arsch"

I'm sure I don't need to translate that...

Here's another favorite of mine, to stop people from climbing on a wall surrounding the hill fortress in Würzburg in Germany.  It's a long way down, after all. 

I call it: Caution, Gravity at work!

Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

In The Breeze

« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2008, 08:17:30 AM »
I was having a terrible day at work, nothing was going right, so I left the office in a FOUL mood.

I walked into the lift, pressed the ground button, looked up and cracked up laughing.

Why?

Under the emergency stop button, which was a red button with 'STOP' in white letters, some one had stuck a little label with "Hammertime" on it.

It looked a little like this:

________
l            l
l  STOP   l
l_______ l

Hammertime

It made me forget all about my crappy day.

ccnumber4

« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2008, 10:30:05 AM »
I was having a terrible day at work, nothing was going right, so I left the office in a FOUL mood.

I walked into the lift, pressed the ground button, looked up and cracked up laughing.

Why?

Under the emergency stop button, which was a red button with 'STOP' in white letters, some one had stuck a little label with "Hammertime" on it.

It looked a little like this:

________
l            l
l  STOP   l
l_______ l

Hammertime

It made me forget all about my crappy day.

Ha!  I love that! 

(where can I get little stickers that say "Hammertime"........)

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2008, 10:35:55 AM »
On a truck for a bait shop:
"Master Bait."

*snicker!*

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2008, 11:22:57 AM »
There's a STOP sign up the street from my work where someone wrote in:

"Hammertime!"   :D