Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 225087 times)

wendelenn

Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #1110 on: January 04, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »
Back in the 1970s there was a firm of lawyers in NYC.  Even though they were based in an Irish neighborhood I'm not sure if they got much business.  The firm was named after the partners, 'Lawless and Lynch'.

Makes me think of the lawyers from (I think it's) "Car Talk"--Dewey, Cheatam, and Howe.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1111 on: January 14, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »
Back in the 1970s there was a firm of lawyers in NYC.  Even though they were based in an Irish neighborhood I'm not sure if they got much business.  The firm was named after the partners, 'Lawless and Lynch'.

Makes me think of the lawyers from (I think it's) "Car Talk"--Dewey, Cheatam, and Howe.

That's right, Car Talk.  They've also got a lot of other ersatz staff members, like Heywood Jabuzoff, their customer service representative, and Erasmus B. Dragon, the head of the working mother's support group.  (Say the names out loud.)  I used a couple of these names when I had to make up some sample documents with made-up patient names, and I'll bet the people that got the documents thought I was crazy. 

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #1112 on: January 16, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »
Hoping this works... This is an ad I saw on the side of a van while on holidays a few years ago...

Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1113 on: January 16, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »
That is awesome! ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #1114 on: January 16, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »

I think they used the same law firm in a Daffy Duck cartoon once.....maybe it was "Duck Dodgers of the 21st Century".

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1115 on: January 18, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
Not all that funny, but my husband and I were in the Florida Keys, which are in a tropical climate. We passed a shop sign that said "Palms Read".

We think she must be really, really busy.

Tomorrow we will be seeing lots of signs like "Manatee Correctional Institution", "Manatee University", and "Manatee Medical Clinic" in Manatee County, Florida. This always leads to our speculating about the manatees' felonies, courses of study, and illnesses.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1116 on: January 22, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »
This isn't really a sign.  It's a product label.

Mr. Thipu enjoys the occasional snack of Chinese dried plums.  They're tasty but what's in the jar neither looks nor tastes like plums. 

Sure enough, the main ingredient is lemons.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1117 on: January 22, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
In my town there is, of all things, a vacuum repair shop that's been in business for a long time. They've always had a religious sign in their window, usually something simple like "Jesus Saves." The other day I noticed they'd changed it to, "We try to save your vacuum. But Jesus saves YOU." I feel a little weird about religious signs in not-explicitly-religious stores, but l like when they at least try to have a little fun with it. :)

You often see such signs in some southern small towns. I make a point of avoiding stores with such displays (From my personal experience - you generally got poor service unless you went to their church).
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

emwithme

« Reply #1118 on: January 22, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »
On my drive into NearbyCity, through a relatively rural area, I pass a pair of signs that crack me up every time. There's a farm shop and cafe on the right hand side - so you'd have to cross the oncoming lane to get to it. 

First of all, there's a

sign with a "Think Bike - X accidents here in two years.

But immediately behind it there's a

sign.  I can't help it - every time (especially even when I'm on my own), I have to say "But I can't "Think Bike", you've just made me think "Cow".

One day I'll grow up...

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1119 on: January 22, 2012, 04:08:40 PM »
In my town there is, of all things, a vacuum repair shop that's been in business for a long time. They've always had a religious sign in their window, usually something simple like "Jesus Saves." The other day I noticed they'd changed it to, "We try to save your vacuum. But Jesus saves YOU." I feel a little weird about religious signs in not-explicitly-religious stores, but l like when they at least try to have a little fun with it. :)

You often see such signs in some southern small towns. I make a point of avoiding stores with such displays (From my personal experience - you generally got poor service unless you went to their church).

Where I live, there's a lot of that around - even a tractor trailer company called Christ the King Tractor Trailer company. For years, since I couldn't read all of it, I thought we were passing by a church.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1120 on: January 24, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »
DH and I went to lunch at a tiny little diner today.  (You know the one in the movie "My Cousin Vinnie" where the menu consisted of just the words Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner?  It was kind of like that.)

Anyway, there was a hand-lettered sign on the door:

THIS IS A SMOKING VENUE.
NO ONE UNDER 19 IS ALLOWED.
                                         SORRY JANE

I'm assuming there should have been a comma after "Sorry," since the business cards on the table inside listed a "Jane" as the proprietor, but I'm getting this great mental image of a 16-year-old continually trying to sneak inside to have a cigarette and the old guy behind the counter yelling "Jane, we've told you three times already!  Get out of here!"

LazyDaisy

« Reply #1121 on: January 24, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »

I think they used the same law firm in a Daffy Duck cartoon once.....maybe it was "Duck Dodgers of the 21st Century".

I think that goes even further back to the original "Three Stooges" movies, but I could be wrong.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1122 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
Just remembered this one. 

Some years ago we were in a retro-style diner.  Mr. Thipu went to the men's room and came back laughing.  He went back to the rest room with his camera.  It seems that there was a sign over one of the urinals, 'Express lane.  Three beers or fewer'. 

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1123 on: February 03, 2012, 02:19:59 PM »
I was working out at one of our branch offices yesterday, so the building layout was unfamiliar.

While using the restroom, I noticed a sign on the wall instructing users to pull the lever Up to flush.
No problem - I pulled the lever up.
No flushing.

So I tried the moving the lever various ways, trying to get it to function.
Still no flush.
All this is to explain why I was paying close enough attention to the toilet tank, which is where I found the following tiny sticker:

"Only to be removed by occupant"

So for the remainder of my battle with the lever (I won, by the way - the toilet did eventually flush) I couldn't help wondering who the occupant of the toilet tank was and was he or she impeding the lever...  8)

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #1124 on: February 03, 2012, 08:37:11 PM »
Not a sign, but a product.

DH & I were at Cabela's tonight seeing if there was anything we were interested in for their big sale tomorrow.  I happened to look at some boxes of ammo that were sitting on the counter in the gun department...
http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax
I howled.

I want a box of this to put in my zombie response team vest.  DH said that it's too expensive and I should take some regular shot and paint them green.  He's no fun.

Update: I talked DH into buying a box of the buckshot.  I will be painting some rifle rounds green on the ends to finish out my vest.