Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 211484 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #1140 on: April 28, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
Years ago, when we visited Chicago, there was a billboard that made us look several times before we could believe it. 

It was an ad for prophylactics and advised that the brand was, 'the best for your wurst'.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1141 on: April 28, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »
A local church posted the following on its front sign:

Yelling, "Oh, God!" does not constitute attending Mass.

My mom thought it was crude but I loved it.

Ahahahahahaha!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1142 on: April 28, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »
Removed.  I started to think it wasn't quite in the spirit of the board.  It was a joke I remembered because of the church sign so if you want to 'hear' it, PM me.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:53:54 PM by Outdoor Girl »
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #1143 on: June 05, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »
On a wedding invitation I received years ago (and just found in my scrapbook):

"The flavor of your reply is requested"

I want strawberry flavor.

*there was no option for a dinner choice so it wasn't a play on words.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1144 on: June 10, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »
This post may be a little raw for E-Hell.  If it is thought to be so, please remove it.

Last night was the local LGBT parade. This is a family-friendly affair.  Houses of worship and schools participate.  This was he first time we saw a new organization in the parade.  It has the laudable goal of promoting safe 'Scrabble' practices.  There was a problem with the name of the group. 'Condom Nation' might sound wonderful but, if you stop to think about it, the name could send exactly the opposite message of the one intended.     

Dr. F.

« Reply #1145 on: June 10, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »
This post may be a little raw for E-Hell.  If it is thought to be so, please remove it.

Last night was the local LGBT parade. This is a family-friendly affair.  Houses of worship and schools participate.  This was he first time we saw a new organization in the parade.  It has the laudable goal of promoting safe 'Scrabble' practices.  There was a problem with the name of the group. 'Condom Nation' might sound wonderful but, if you stop to think about it, the name could send exactly the opposite message of the one intended.     

I had to say this one out loud before I got it! Ha!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #1146 on: June 10, 2012, 11:24:25 PM »
I was at Toys R Us a few weeks ago and saw an awesome combination of signs. The layout of the bathroom went Women's bathroom, drinking faucet, utility closet, Men's bathroom. The bathrooms had the gender designating signs, but the Men's room had an extra sign that said "Authorized Personnel Only" I'm assuming that the extra sign came from the utility closet, but it made me chuckle :)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1147 on: June 11, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
One of the doors leading out of the post office in Pomeroy, Washington is labeled "Push", and the other is labeled "Pus."

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #1148 on: June 12, 2012, 12:12:18 AM »
While I've jsut started reading this topic, I have an entry of my own to add.  From the new billboard a local Jeweller has put up:

The Woman's Hardware Store.

:)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1149 on: June 12, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »
It may be an urban legend but there is a story about signs in the New Jersey Capitol.

One of the counties in New Jersey is 'Middlesex County'.  According to the story, the county office in the state house is located between restrooms.  If you walk down the hall you will see, 'Men', 'Middlesex' and 'Women'. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1150 on: June 12, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »
It may be an urban legend but there is a story about signs in the New Jersey Capitol.

One of the counties in New Jersey is 'Middlesex County'.  According to the story, the county office in the state house is located between restrooms.  If you walk down the hall you will see, 'Men', 'Middlesex' and 'Women'.
Sadly, it must be a legend. There are Middlesex Counties in Virginia and Massachusetts as well as New Jersey. Middlesex county is in England.

In trying to find the derivation, all I can come up with is Essex was the land of Saxons, which makes sense in old English. I can't find the derivation of 'middle'!

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #1151 on: June 12, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »
We used to have a sign into town that said "Welcome to TownName, Gateway to Death Valley!" Guess how many people painted over the Valley bit.  Now it says "TownName Rocks!"  Dad was mean and suggested how many brushstrokes it would take to make it something inappropriate.  (He gave us two choices: One is sucks.  The other rhymes.)

Mum didn't like it much, me thinks. ;)

Sadly, it must be a legend. There are Middlesex Counties in Virginia and Massachusetts as well as New Jersey. Middlesex county is in England.

In trying to find the derivation, all I can come up with is Essex was the land of Saxons, which makes sense in old English. I can't find the derivation of 'middle'!

Middle of Essex, maybe? :)

(I know English names can't be that simple at times, but I can try. :) )

Or just the Middle Saxons? :P

(Essex was the land of the East Saxons, IIRC, won't that make Middlesex Middle Saxons?)

From beautiful Bakersfield:

"No More Dirt"

Heheh, if Bakersfield wants more dirt, we've got plenty out here, near Death Valley. :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:37:33 PM by Kaora »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1152 on: June 29, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
Here's one that's E-He'll specific.

Posters here are all familiar with Jimmything, Thing 1 and Thing 2. 

We recently returned from a visit to an Ivy League University town.  in the window of the University co-op was a shirt with the legend, ' Thing 1 X University'.

The term had to mean something different but might it not be an augury for the child's future?

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1153 on: July 01, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »
There's a sign over by Clarkston, Washington, that says, "Clarkston Washington, Gateway to Hells Canyon." 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1154 on: July 04, 2012, 12:16:47 AM »
There's a gas station near my house that used to have a drive-through car wash behind it.  Now the car wash is a liquor store.  Part of the signage advertising the liquor store says "Turn your 2 into a 10!"  (As in, "Make that ugly girl you're with seem hotter by drinking a lot!")  I'm kind of  :o that someone thought THAT was a good slogan - sure, you may attract a few people, but you'll probably offend just as many!