Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 225978 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #1155 on: July 14, 2012, 03:47:58 PM »
There's a gas station near my house that used to have a drive-through car wash behind it.  Now the car wash is a liquor store.  Part of the signage advertising the liquor store says "Turn your 2 into a 10!"  (As in, "Make that ugly girl you're with seem hotter by drinking a lot!")  I'm kind of  :o that someone thought THAT was a good slogan - sure, you may attract a few people, but you'll probably offend just as many!

I can hear it now:

Girlfriend:  "Did you get this whiskey from Car Wash Liquor Store?"
Boyfriend:  "Uh huh."
Girlfriend:  "You think I'm a 2!!!  You jerk!"
Boyfriend:  "Wait, what?  What 2?  What did I do?"

A liquor store near our house had a similar sign with a totally diffrent meaning. "Turn your 5 into a 10" Meaning for $5 you could buy 10 mini bottles of booze. (I often get stocking stuffers there. :D)

The man running the place saw a sign like the one you mentioned and decided it was a great deal to bring in buisness but he couldn't afford to sell mini-bottles for $2. lol I explained the original sign and he was shocked. He's an immigrant and found it awful that people would disrespect their significant others like that. His son claims he still doesn't understand one night hook ups either.  ::)

Nice couple though.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #1156 on: July 16, 2012, 06:22:49 PM »
We did a family trip to an aquarium over the weekend. They have hippos, with birds in the same enclosure. Some of the birds are quite large. On one of the artificial trees there is this sign:

Birds poop every 15 minutes. How long have you been standing here?
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1157 on: July 16, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
We did a family trip to an aquarium over the weekend. They have hippos, with birds in the same enclosure. Some of the birds are quite large. On one of the artificial trees there is this sign:

That reminds me of an old sign in the reptile house at the Bronx Zoo.  The enclosure included quite large alligators:

'Please do not rap on the glass.  what would you do if it broke?'

hermanne

« Reply #1158 on: July 17, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »

That reminds me of an old sign in the reptile house at the Bronx Zoo.  The enclosure included quite large alligators:

'Please do not rap on the glass.  what would you do if it broke?'

*snerk*
Now I have this picture of one of the glass walls of a tank at the aquarium breaking, and fish, sharks, and a scuba diver or two pouring out. ;D

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #1159 on: July 28, 2012, 09:20:13 PM »
A little notice for the special snowflakes who move out to the country and expect it to be just like the suburbs: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=165134223611325&set=a.121845341273547.7691.114568468667901&type=1&ref=nf

Charliebug

« Reply #1160 on: August 01, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »
I read halfway through all of the posts and decided to get mine in here- I hope it has not been posted previously  ;D

Back in 1994 the Stanley Cup was won by the New York Rangers in the 7th game against the Vancouver Canucks. I was living in Vancouver at the time and the playoffs had riveted the entire city. Vancouver wasn't exactly known for having the most dedicated fans, there tended to be a level of complacency or even downright flakiness (not sure if it is still that way but it sure was then) but this championship playoff brought out the fan in everyone!  The defeat was disappointing but it was very quickly evident that the "fans" were headed back to complacency when a banner was placed over a Highway 1 overpass the next day.

It read: 

Highway 1
Canucks 0

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #1161 on: August 03, 2012, 07:33:06 AM »
Linked offsite for potential Olympic spoiler (men's cycling time trials): A certain small village in Suffolk has had its sign put to good use...

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1162 on: August 06, 2012, 08:32:09 PM »
Got this e-mail from the small vacuum/sewing machine shop down the road: 

OPPS!  We goofed!

Some stuff about how they'd forgotten that they'd put out advertisement for a weekend sale of something or else the other, but I was thinking that they goofed in more ways than one.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1163 on: September 14, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
I started a new job recently and I'm very, very impressed at how well the company takes care of its employees.

As an Engineering firm, they also have a geek sense of humour.
Our boss just ordered these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b87c/?srp=1 for everyone in the office.  ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1164 on: September 20, 2012, 08:53:23 AM »
Haven't read the thread, but I wanted to post these before I forget.

Once, in high school, a friend and I were driving past a church. The sign said, "God is still on the throne." Being the exceptionally mature 17-year-olds that we were, we dissolved into a fit of giggles. We still sometimes giggle when we pass that church.

My inner 17 year old is laughing hysterically. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hermanne

« Reply #1165 on: September 20, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
There's a school near here called Central. Their main parking lot is west of the building, so they have the sign "Central Park West".

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1166 on: September 20, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
Haven't read the thread, but I wanted to post these before I forget.

Once, in high school, a friend and I were driving past a church. The sign said, "God is still on the throne." Being the exceptionally mature 17-year-olds that we were, we dissolved into a fit of giggles. We still sometimes giggle when we pass that church.

My inner 17 year old is laughing hysterically.

My outer 31-year-old snorted Pepsi out her nose.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #1167 on: September 27, 2012, 05:09:30 AM »
My favourite sign was Scottish: "Dead slow children playing".

Victoria

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1168 on: September 27, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »
My favourite sign was Scottish: "Dead slow children playing".

There's a "slow congested children" sign somewhere in Oregon  :P

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #1169 on: September 30, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
Yesterday at a stoplight I was behind a car with a rear window decal that read "Godspeed." It was all white except for the S, which was red and rendered almost invisible by the red brake light just above it. So it looked for all the world like "God peed."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady