Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 230410 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #1185 on: November 15, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »
This is not a sign, but an on-line headline from yesterday in Toronto:

BREAKING - GLASS FALLS 34 STOREYS FROM SKYSCRAPER!

Yes, I guess it would break....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1186 on: November 15, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »
This is not a sign, but an on-line headline from yesterday in Toronto:

BREAKING - GLASS FALLS 34 STOREYS FROM SKYSCRAPER!

Yes, I guess it would break....

Heeee!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1187 on: November 15, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »
It may be an urban legend but there is a story about signs in the New Jersey Capitol.

One of the counties in New Jersey is 'Middlesex County'.  According to the story, the county office in the state house is located between restrooms.  If you walk down the hall you will see, 'Men', 'Middlesex' and 'Women'.
Sadly, it must be a legend. There are Middlesex Counties in Virginia and Massachusetts as well as New Jersey. Middlesex county is in England.

In trying to find the derivation, all I can come up with is Essex was the land of Saxons, which makes sense in old English. I can't find the derivation of 'middle'!

I presume it's in between Essex (East Saxons) and Wessex (West Saxons).
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1188 on: November 15, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »
It may be an urban legend but there is a story about signs in the New Jersey Capitol.

One of the counties in New Jersey is 'Middlesex County'.  According to the story, the county office in the state house is located between restrooms.  If you walk down the hall you will see, 'Men', 'Middlesex' and 'Women'.
Sadly, it must be a legend. There are Middlesex Counties in Virginia and Massachusetts as well as New Jersey. Middlesex county is in England.

In trying to find the derivation, all I can come up with is Essex was the land of Saxons, which makes sense in old English. I can't find the derivation of 'middle'!

We must make the leap sometimes that 'middle' means 'middle' and has for over 500 or 1000 years.

It astounds me that we are so connected with our ancestors and predecessors. An amazing connection.

(I love having all the information at my fingertips, too! Amazing!)

greencat

« Reply #1189 on: November 15, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »

We must make the leap sometimes that 'middle' means 'middle' and has for over 500 or 1000 years.

It astounds me that we are so connected with our ancestors and predecessors. An amazing connection.

(I love having all the information at my fingertips, too! Amazing!)

I believe "mid" derives from the Latin, so it should have been in use in that sense in the Dark Ages.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1190 on: November 18, 2012, 06:01:30 PM »
On a lonely country road, there is a place that is "world-famous" for their worms.

Their sign offers the following:

Worms
Worm Castings
Worm Tea
I don't know about you, but I can't imagine drinking worm tea!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #1191 on: November 18, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »
On a lonely country road, there is a place that is "world-famous" for their worms.

Their sign offers the following:

Worms
Worm Castings
Worm Tea
I don't know about you, but I can't imagine drinking worm tea!

I don't think worm tea is for drinking, I think you water plants with it  :)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1192 on: November 22, 2012, 10:16:51 PM »
There's a wall up the road from work, with the painted sign CUSTOMER PARKING.

Some wit has got out the white paint and modified it a tad.  It now reads STONER KING.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1193 on: November 24, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »
A cheap sign on the side of the road read "Gifted Psychic Adviser" and had a phone number.

DH looked and laughed, "Why would a psychic need to advertise?" and I wondered if the psychic is gifted, is the psychic going to give the client gifts, or they only treat gifted people.

The above signs have now been modified and have a price of $10 listed.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1194 on: July 05, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »
Had to revive this thread because a friend of mine reminded me of one yesterday that I still can't get my head around.  MyCity's largest industry is military and space research and development, so almost all of the signs and billboards at our airport feature helicopters and space shuttles and the like.  (Which has always made me wonder: do they really have that many people flying into our airport who are in the market for troop transport helicopters that it's worth the money to advertise?  I mean, they don't put a phone number on there for where to order one . . .)

Anyway, the ad that's confused me for ages was the one with a majestic ICBM (missile) soaring across it, being plucked out of the air by a badly-photoshopped bald eagle in front of a waving American flag.  The only thing missing is a caption like "America: we're *bleep*ing awesome!"

What gets me, though, is what exactly is this advertising?  "Our missiles are so slow that an ordinary eagle can catch them?"  "Our new eagle-shooting cannon is so fast the eagle ends up going faster than an ICBM?"  "Free eagle with every ICBM purchase?"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:57:09 PM by ladyknight1 »

cwm

« Reply #1196 on: July 05, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »
"Your wife is HOT

Better get her A/C fixed"

Except the first line is HUGE and the second one is a bit smaller.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1198 on: July 09, 2013, 02:51:45 PM »
There's an auto repair place close to my house that has a lovely professionally made banner hung across the front. It says "Break Jobs Done Here".

You'd think that the last thing an auto shop would want to advertise is a "break" job..

snowfire

« Reply #1199 on: July 09, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
Seen in the window of a little shop I just drove by:

Knives
Guns
Divorce Forms