Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 216527 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #1230 on: September 09, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »
This isn't exactly a sign.  It's a menu.

We recently tried a Chinese restaurant in the neighborhood.  The menu was divided into 'Authentic' and 'Americanized'. 

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #1231 on: September 09, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »

We recently tried a Chinese restaurant in the neighborhood.  The menu was divided into 'Authentic' and 'Americanized'.

I would laugh too, but I also think it's a bit brilliant! I would love a place around here where my ILs can get their sweet and sour chicken, but I can also try something more authentic if I'm feeling adventurous.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1232 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »
A friend introduced me to beef and bitter melon, which I love, but I can see that it would be an acquired taste for most Western palates.

I tried to order it at a Chinese restaurant, and the server refused to le me have it. I told her I'd had it before and knew what it was like.

She said, "It's not popular!"

No bitter melon for me!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Pen^2

« Reply #1233 on: September 09, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
Not quite a sign, but close: I saw a fire extinguisher in a car park which was labelled as, "Fire Kill." I think this is a fantastic description  ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1234 on: September 09, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
There was a fantastic Chinese restaurant near my college campus which had two menus.  The English menu had all the regular dishes you'd expect, but the (Mandarin, I think) version had lots of great things involving duck and squid and pickled octopus that non-Asian students just didn't order all that often.  Students called it the "secret menu" and I loved bringing my Mandarin-fluent friend along so he could suggest things for me  ;D  Of course, once I knew what was on there, I could order "crispy squid" in English and get the same dish - there was no way I'd remember what to call it in Chinese!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1235 on: September 09, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »

I would laugh too, but I also think it's a bit brilliant! I would love a place around here where my ILs can get their sweet and sour chicken, but I can also try something more authentic if I'm feeling adventurous.

We did do an experiment.  I ordered the Americanized Sweet and Sour Chicken and Mr. Thipu ordered the Authentic shredded pork with small pepper.  Both dishes were good but neither was much different than we get in other local Chinese restaurants. 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:48:13 PM by Thipu1 »

Gyburc

« Reply #1236 on: September 10, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »
I'm glad this thread has popped back up! Two local businesses have signs that just crack me up...

The first is a local hardware/DIY store, and their sign proudly proclaims:

Nuts, knobs, knockers and screws

The second is a dog groomer's. They have a bright pink van with the company name in big letters down the side:

Doggy Styles

;D ;D ;D

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1237 on: September 10, 2013, 11:03:52 AM »
On a door leading to a cold room in one of our research buildlings:

PLEASE KEEP INNER DOOR CLOSED

Or inner child will escape (Penciled in underneath)
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #1238 on: September 13, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »

turtleIScream

« Reply #1239 on: September 28, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
On a sign describing a piece of artwork - "mixed media made by eggplants"

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #1240 on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »
Seen on a road sign: crack sealing ahead.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #1241 on: October 01, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »

Please think of the kittens!!!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1242 on: October 07, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »
Noooooo! Anything by Sarah McLachlin ASPCA ads!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1243 on: October 07, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »
During countless summer vacations, we would drive through mountains. And there was a drive near our zoo where they'd have the same sign, "Falling Rock".

I often see 'Fallen Rock' signs.  They always trigger a mental picture of a craggy rock, dressed in fishnet tights and a black mini-skirt and too much make-up...

Yes, I am strange, why do you ask?   >:D

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #1244 on: October 08, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
My family used to camp in the California Sierra Nevada Mountains when I was growing up.  There were frequently signs that read "Watch for Falling Rock."  My mother was a natural storyteller* who would make up stories to keep us kidlets entertained on the long drive.  She told us the "Native American folk tale" of Falling Rock, the son of an important chief who got lost when he went into the forest for his manhood survival test.  His grieving father put up signs asking people to help him find his lost son - Watch for Falling Rock.

I still crack up every time I see that sign. >:D

*I say she "was" because now she forgets the punch line.  She still remembers the long story; She just forgets the point. ::)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius