Author Topic: Signs that crack you up  (Read 230993 times)

ccnumber4

Re: Signs that crack you up
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2008, 02:31:16 PM »
"Bud's Taxidermy and Discount Meats"

In Florida they had signs that warned people not to feed or molest the alligators. 

Iowa State University has a pig farm that they call their "Swine Management Facility"  That one cracks me up every time. 

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »
There is a sign in a nearby neighborhood that warns, "Road may flood in heavy rain."

Someone in the neighborhood has crossed out "may" and "heavy" and added words, so the sign now reads, "Road WILL flood in ANY rain."

Unfortunately, s/he is right. The city is working on the road now.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

seren

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »
How about "Bob's Dog Obedience School and Taxidermy Shop"

Makes you wonder what they do with the failures!

Seren

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2008, 03:20:59 PM »
How about "Bob's Dog Obedience School and Taxidermy Shop"

Makes you wonder what they do with the failures!

Seren

Is that like ... there's always a Teriyaki place next to every single veterinarian place I've EVER seen?
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
Or, this one from near Cleveland (my hometown):

WELCOME TO HUNTING VALLEY
NO HUNTING

gui

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »
When my dad worked at ALCOA (Aluminium Company of America), they had railroad to help off-load the metal extrusion.

A sign on the railroad cars read: NO HUMPING.

My brother and I would just about DIE everytime we saw it, which was about once a week when we went to pick up my dad.

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2008, 04:41:30 PM »
Years ago, in a minibus with a load of battle re-enactors on the way to an event, we passed a cemetery. One of the girls piped up:

"Why do you they tell you to polish the war graves?"

Blank looks all round.

"That sign just there said, 'Polish War Graves'."

We all looked puzzled for a moment until somebody clicked: "Polish, love. As in, people from Poland."

"Ohhhhhhh."

There was an old airfield not far away. We reckoned they must have been the graves of Poles who had come over to serve with the British forces during the Second World War.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2008, 07:51:39 PM »
Driving my inebriated husband home from a New Years' party last week, we passed a large store with apparently defunct lights in their name.

"Look!" gurgled DH.  "It's the Burlinto Cat Factory!"

I about drove off the road.

*Disclaimer- I was dead sober, for anyone about to yell at me.  I just found it hilarious*

In the strip mall where my hair salon is, there's also an Armed Forces Recruiting Center. For a long time the last seven letters in "Recruiting" were burned out, so it read "Armed Forces Rec Center." I had this image of young guys stopping in for a game of pool and getting the hard-sell to join up.

Speaking of burned-out signs, my BF, BFF and I recently drove past a Citizens Bank that had some letters burned out, so it read "zen Bank." All I could think of was the second punchline to the Dalai Lama and the hot-dog vendor joke: "Change comes from within."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »
The "blog" of "unnecessary" quotation marks (http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/) has been amusing me lately.  People send in pictures of signs with horrible misuse of quotes...

...which lead me to the blog of Passive Agressive notes... (http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2008, 11:54:05 PM »
The "blog" of "unnecessary" quotation marks (http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/) has been amusing me lately.  People send in pictures of signs with horrible misuse of quotes...

...which lead me to the blog of Passive Agressive notes... (http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com)

One of the newest ones is cracking me up "noo oogling"!

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »
In the strip mall where my hair salon is, there's also an Armed Forces Recruiting Center. For a long time the last seven letters in "Recruiting" were burned out, so it read "Armed Forces Rec Center." I had this image of young guys stopping in for a game of pool and getting the hard-sell to join up.

Speaking of burned-out signs, my BF, BFF and I recently drove past a Citizens Bank that had some letters burned out, so it read "zen Bank." All I could think of was the second punchline to the Dalai Lama and the hot-dog vendor joke: "Change comes from within."

My mom and sister drove past a Big K-mart where part of the lights on the "B" were burned out.
The sign at night read, "Pig K". Sis used to work at a K-mart. She just about died laughing.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2008, 04:48:34 PM »
For about five years, the 'S' on our local Shell station was burned out. The greater part of my childhood was spent driving past the 'Hell Station', until someone finally covered it up.

lamorevincera

« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »
I've got one!

On the way to my bachelorette party, my friends went past an Ace Hardware that had the following sign:

"Free Butt Rub With Green Egg"

When they got to the party, we all discussed it and figured it out. Apparently a "green egg" has something to do with a grill, and "butt rub" is BBQ seasoning for meat.

Cracked us up for a while, though.

Another friend told me a story from when she was a teenager. Another friend of hers had gotten fired from a small drycleaner's, and begged my friend to come help her get revenge. (Right after the firing, they'd put up a sign that said "Mature help wanted") Friend's friend decided to have a little fun with that, and roped my friend into climbing on top of her truck at 4 AM and rearranging the sign to say "Help! Mad Turtle!" (They couldn't come up with anything else.) lol

CG

« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2008, 07:56:51 PM »
Apparently the roads in our area are unusually active in a certain way, judging by the number of signs that say "Road Humps".

Just keep it off my leg, would you?

Lysistrata

« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »
Apparently the roads in our area are unusually active in a certain way, judging by the number of signs that say "Road Humps".

Just keep it off my leg, would you?

I remember when my Hometown first put in a few of those type of speed bump, along with that very same sign, in a residential neighborhood that was a shortcut to the local jr. high and high schools. I had my sister in the car with me, and I slowed way down (had a low car at the time) to go across one. Suddenly, sister thrust her arms out, grabbed the dash, and started...well, doing what the sign said ;D

It's a good thing I was already driving at a crawl, because I think I would have gone off the road otherwise, laughing as hard as I was!