Author Topic: Black Mission Figs  (Read 612 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Black Mission Figs
« on: September 30, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »
They were on sale today.

What sweets can I do with them?  How do I know if they are ripe?

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
Re: Black Mission Figs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:22:03 PM »
They're ripe when soft.  Figs only ripen on the tree, so they'd better be ripe or they won't ever be.

I like to eat them plain fresh, but they're also nice drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar and served with shaved parmesan and prosciutto.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:44:14 PM »
They're ripe when soft.  Figs only ripen on the tree, so they'd better be ripe or they won't ever be.

I like to eat them plain fresh, but they're also nice drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar and served with shaved parmesan and prosciutto.

That sounds yummy!  I bought some brie.  I found a recipe that sautes the fig with a bit of brown sugar and then you pour it hot over the brie.

I think I have some of stuff you described though!

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:03:12 PM »
I've heard of them grilled, perhaps wrapped with a bit of prosciutto.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 01:21:02 PM »
are these fresh figs?

there is alot you can do with them: jam, or just poached, or cooked with chicken, but honestly ---- fresh figs are so yummy and special, i just like to eat them plain, or cut into quarters (don't cut all the way thru; just stand them on their "bottom" and cut them from top to bottom) and spread out a little, and fill the middle with some sour cream, thick yogurt or goat cheese. and of course they are great for a cheese and fruit platter.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools