Author Topic: A new category! Read all about it!  (Read 30651 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
A new category! Read all about it!
« on: September 30, 2007, 06:25:07 PM »
I created an entirely new category for the forum after reading several threads where people used etiquette hell approved phrases when interacting with people or in awkward situations and I realized that showcasing these instances would be a great way to put real life examples of how these phrases work so that people can learn from others. 

The idea is to post a story of a real life situation, in the appropriate board, of a phrase you used to great effect.  Eventually these boards will act as an archive of numerous situations these phrases will work.

Just be forewarned, however, if you post a story and you really didn't use the phrase well, in typical EtiquetteHell fashion, your fellow members may tell you.

Suggestions for other "phrase boards" for this category can be made in this thread.  If you know of a thread that could be moved to any of these boards, PM me the link. 

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
Re: A new category! Read all about it!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 06:59:15 PM »
"Why would I want to do that?" is one of my favorite. Said in a tone of polite inquiry.

asta

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »
Thank you, sounds like a good, new category.  I would welcome wisdom in this area.  As a rather shy 51-year-old, I cannot tell you how many times a good response would be.  I usually think of those responses a few days later.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 07:21:26 PM »
How exciting!  Three more topics to comsume my life!  ;D

CatFanatic

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:29:43 PM »
Great idea. I'm a bit of a pushover, and I'm collecting these phrases as armour against the world.
I love 'Why do you ask?' and 'What an odd question!'

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 08:41:31 PM »
This is a great idea, as most of us only think of these lines after the fact. It'll be good to have them stored in our brains for future use.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 08:42:57 PM »
This is neat.  I think it's a great idea by way of teaching people how to respond nonconfrontationally and nondefensively.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

lovinAZ

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 03:15:42 AM »
Just in time for 4-1/2 days at my parents' house ... where I'll be because my sister is getting married ... there's PA all over the place already.

That, and because of said wedding, I'll see a lot of my mom's friends who I don't often see.  I suspect that "What an interesting assumption" will come in handy more than once ... as will "If it was your business, you'd know the answer already."  (Is that last one e-hell approved in appropriate situations?)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 07:22:10 AM »
"If it was your business, you'd know the answer already."  (Is that last one e-hell approved in appropriate situations?)

No, that sounds too sarcastic and snarky.  But you did give me an idea for another board.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 10:32:47 AM »
Hi Ehelldame,

The Ettiquette School board is a GREAT idea!!

I saw the board about weather in this category - what about a "Have you tried the Bean Dip?" name change or additional category (or variation).  That's pretty much a quintessential e-hell line...

Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 11:10:10 AM »
Wow - what great turn around!!   ;)

Thanks! Cant wait to read all the stories that will be posted in these categories, I am dying to use one or two of them myself!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 11:52:30 AM »
I have a category suggestion.  How about the "EHellDame, you CANNOT give me more interesting stuff to read here.  I've GOT to work at some point!" category?  ;)

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 01:27:33 PM »
When someone asks me a question for which the answer is none of their business, my typical response is, "Why do you ask?"  If and when they answer THAT question, my usual reply is, "Hmmm..interesting."  And then I ignore the question.

If they pursue it further, the (still polite) response becomes, "That is really none of your concern, and I choose not to discuss it with you, thanks."  Followed by walking away, if possible.

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 01:30:19 PM »
One more:  Sometimes the word "no" is all the "sentence" you need.  (I know, that's a variation on my "No is a complete sentence" mantra.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 02:27:14 PM »
Grreeeaatt... One more category for me to read when I should be working...

LOVE IT!! Plus, I get to learn some new techniques. "What do you mean by that," and icy glare is getting used waaaaay too much. I need to freshen up my repertoire.