Author Topic: I think it's a great line, but...  (Read 6004 times)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
I think it's a great line, but...
« on: September 30, 2007, 08:39:15 PM »
I will keep this line in mind next time someone has some great unreasonable request for me, but please also remember that when someone has done you favours in the past, this line comes off as ungrateful.

I went over and fed my friend's cats when they were away; drove her to the auto insurance place when her car was totalled even though I didn't particularly feel like it and had to cancel other plans; lent her my camping gear when she didn't have any; found her a job when she lost hers, etc. etc.

Then it came time for me to go away and I needed someone to feed MY cat. She lived three blocks away. I got, "Sorry, that won't be possible."

I resented that. Maybe it really wasn't possible, but I had the feeling she just didn't feel like it. If she had offered some kind of explanation that sounded reasonable, I would have felt less like I'd been used all this time.

wellisawstar

Re: I think it's a great line, but...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 10:39:16 PM »
I would have felt the same way too.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 12:47:38 AM »
I've always been under the impression that this particular line really only works well with acquaintances or friends who routinely take advantage of you.  I would always think that a good friend, especially one who has done things for me in the past (without complaining or guilt tripping), deserves an explanation.  A good friend won't argue with a flat out, "I'm really sorry, I wish I could help, but I just can't this time."

So I agree, Raintree.  It would have been nicer if your friend had explained why she can't feed your cat.  Especially since it's seems like the kind of thing that can't take more than a few minutes a day.

Emmy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 07:12:57 AM »
I agree that this line is a good response for somebody who asks a lot of favors or unreasonable favors, not so much when it comes time to return a favor.  In Raintree's case, it sounded like her 'friend' was willing to ask many favors, but unwilling to return them.  I would also be resentful in this situation unless my friend had a good reason why she didn't help me out.  If I was the OP, my answer to her next favor request would be "I'm afraid that won't be possible".

Lexophile

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 01:14:57 PM »
This line also works really well when you have a different role at work than you had, say TWO YEARS AGO and people still don't get that.

But I'm not bitter about it or anything ... ::)
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

jassou

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 03:01:08 PM »
I thought it had to be a given that the request was unreasonable. Otherwise, every comeback would have their respective exceptions.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 11:15:02 AM »
In the OP's case, the line is not the problem. The circumstances are the problem.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Shortcake

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 09:17:29 AM »
In the OP's case, the line is not the problem. The circumstances are the problem.

That is what I thought too.
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 11:14:28 PM »
It sounds to me like Raintree is in the clear to use this line the next time this "friend" asks for favors.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC