Author Topic: Pickled Beets and Purple Eggs  (Read 1770 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Pickled Beets and Purple Eggs
« on: October 01, 2007, 02:29:42 AM »
Reserving the beets, drain the juice of 3 cans of sliced beets into a 2 quart glass jar(that has a lid to go with it). Add 1-3 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Dump the beets from 2 of the reserved cans of beets into the sweetened beet juice. Put at least 6* hard-cooked, shelled eggs into the 2-quart jar. Pour enough white vinegar into the jar to cover the beets and the eggs.

Before placing the jar in the refrigerator, make sure that the lid is securely closed. [the vinegar smell will attack your nose the next time you open the 'frig.  ;D ]

Let the mixture marinate in the refrigerator for 18-24 hours. The longer they sit, the more purpler the eggs will get. If you don't like the beets very sour, they would be okay to be taken out of the brine 8 hours later.

*If you really like the purple eggs, don't put the beets in the jar. You could use the beets to make Harvard Beets. (another yummy!)

edenparadox

Re: Pickled Beets and Purple Eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:44:02 AM »
See now that's just cheating. You can't mention a good beet recipe and not give it to us.

AmethystAnne

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 09:02:23 PM »
I thought I knew where my recipe for Harvard Beets was. Well, it wasn't there. <sigh>

I did a Search and found several recipes. I think this one sounds good (the site has a name that made me smile):

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/harvardbeets.htm

I'm going to post this and then see if the link works......Yes, it does.

It seems to me that there would be alot of thickened beet juice made using this recipe.
I would use the 1 can specified in the recipe and  also the un-needed 3rd can of drained beets left from the Pickled Beets & Purple Eggs recipe that I previously posted.

I have no beets in the pantry, but will get some tomorrow, try out this recipe, and will let you guys know how they turned out.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 09:18:17 PM by LauraLBW »

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 02:32:00 AM »
That sounds good, but I have to say that it would be much better for my taste using fresh beets.

Is this for canned beets using mason jars and seals or just a twist lid?  Is this something that can be appropriately canned? What I mean by appropriately is sealed for pickling/canning.

AmethystAnne

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:33:32 PM »
A twist-lid kind of jar.  I've never canned pickled beets. I've always used them within 2-3 days of preparation.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 01:10:07 PM »
A twist-lid kind of jar.  I've never canned pickled beets. I've always used them within 2-3 days of preparation.

OK, I see the difference.  When I pickle them, I make a huge batch so we have them throughout the year.  It's a messy and lengthy job, but ooohhhh sooooo worth it!