Author Topic: Christmas Cookies - Help Please!  (Read 1238 times)

parker6221

Christmas Cookies - Help Please!
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:50:17 AM »
Instead of making several dishes to take to the various Christmas celebrations this year, I'm just making a ton of cookies and taking a variety tray to each.  I know there was a thread awhile back where people mentioned some of their favorite Christmas cookies, but I need recipes please!!!  I'm doing this early to give me a chance to try out my baking skills moreso than the recipes.

Thanks!

Summrs

Re: Christmas Cookies - Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 07:29:50 PM »
Two of my family's favorites:

Snowballs

1 cup sweet butter            
1 ts vanilla                  
1/3 ts salt                  
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Mix butter, sugar and vanilla, stir in flour and salt, then mix in nuts.  Chill dough.  Roll into 1” balls.  Place 2 1/2” apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350° for about 10 minutes until set but not brown.  While still warm, roll in confectioner’s sugar and again when cool.

=======================

Stained Glass Cookies

1 cup sugar               
3/4 cup butter, softened         
2 eggs               
1 ts vanilla or 1/2 ts lemon extract    
2 1/2 cups flour
1 ts baking powder
1 ts salt
About 5 rolls fruit Life Saver candy

Mix sugar, butter, eggs and flavoring.  Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350°.  Roll dough 1/8 in. thick on lightly floured board.  Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.  Place cookies on aluminum foil-covered cookie sheet.  Cut out designs from center of cookies using smaller cutters or pen caps, etc.  Place whole or partially crushed candy in cutouts, depending on size and shape of design.  Leave pieces as large as possible, as candy melts easily.

Bake until cookies are very light brown and candy is melted, 7-9 minutes.  If cookies are to be hung on the tree, remove tray from oven halfway through baking time and make a hole in each cookie 1/4 inch from top with end of plastic straw.  Place tray back in oven and bake for remainder of time.  If candy has not filled out the cutout design at the end of the baking time, immediately spread with metal spatula.  Cool completely on cookie sheet before removing cookies gently.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:55:45 AM »
Sugar cookies!  Cut in Christmassy shapes and sprinkled with coloured sugar or iced in seasonal colours.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 12:30:12 PM »
My 2 favorites and you can actually use the same dough for both recipes if you like.  I have done that to save time.  Almond Crescents and Jam Cookies

Master dough recipe

2 cups butter, softened
1-1/3 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of ground almonds

Mix the above in till it just comes together in a crumbly ball.  Turn out on counter and knead into a somewhat ball shape.  The warmth of your hands should have this done in about 2-3 mintutes of kneading it.  Divide dough in half.  Cover with plastic and place in fridge till firm.  About 30 minutes.

Crescents

Preheat oven to 325*
A cup of powdered sugar on a plate

Take one of the two doughs, and roll out in a long tube about 3 inches thick.  Slice about 1 inch thick and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  With your finger, make a "dent" toward the middle to shape them into crescents.  Another way is to scoop out a tablespoon and flatten it on the parchment paper and shape into a crescent.

Bake for 15  minutes.  The tricky part is that nothing turns "golden" for you to determine it is done.  You can touch it and it should be dry and firm.  Make a small batch to time how long till perfect.

Take cookies out of oven and place them hot into the powdered sugar to coat and place on a cookie rack to cool.

Jam Cookies (aka thumbprints)

Preheat oven till 325
Cup of your favorite jam, I use seedless raspberry.

Take dough, roll out balls about 1 inch thick.  Flatten them on a parchment lined sheet with your thumb creating a shallow depression to spoon jam into.  Then spoon 1/4 teaspoon into the depression you just made.  Trust me, don't overfill these.  They will bubble up and over making a "messy" looking cookie.

Bake for 10 minutes.  Again same as crescents, there is no sure way to tell these are done by looking.  I would make a small batch and time it to get the "perfect" crisp.  You don't want these to brown, just bake to a firm texture.  If you overcook, it will be crumbly.

One more precautions on the jam cookies.  They smell heavenly and look scrumptious when you take them out of the oven.  However do...not....sample till they have cooled for a good 15 minutes.  You can ask dh about those cookies that burned the heck out of his mouth.  The jam can cause serious burns in the mouth!

Roll 

parker6221

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
Thanks for these ideas.  I'll take any more that anyone is willing to share!

edenparadox

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 02:54:23 PM »
SNICKERDOODLES!

* 4 oz. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
    * 4 oz. vegetable shortening
    * 1 1/2 cups white sugar
    * 2 eggs
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (8 1/4 cups)
    * 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 2 tablespoons white sugar
    * 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Pre heat your oven to a nice-n-toasty 400 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, whip together the butter, shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla.

Once all are incorporated, mix into the batter the flour. Finally, add the cream of tartar, the baking soda and the salt.

In a small bowl, combine the 2 Tablespoons of white sugar and cinnamon.

Roll balls of dough from the batter, roughly 1 inch in diameter apiece. Roll each doughball in the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, roughly two inches apart from other balls of cookie dough.

Place cookie tray in oven and cook 8-9 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately place on a rack or clean tea towels in order to cool.

Makes 4 dozen cookies

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:06:35 PM »
SNICKERDOODLES!

* 4 oz. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
    * 4 oz. vegetable shortening
    * 1 1/2 cups white sugar
    * 2 eggs
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (8 1/4 cups)
    * 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 2 tablespoons white sugar
    * 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Pre heat your oven to a nice-n-toasty 400 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, whip together the butter, shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla.

Once all are incorporated, mix into the batter the flour. Finally, add the cream of tartar, the baking soda and the salt.

In a small bowl, combine the 2 Tablespoons of white sugar and cinnamon.

Roll balls of dough from the batter, roughly 1 inch in diameter apiece. Roll each doughball in the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, roughly two inches apart from other balls of cookie dough.

Place cookie tray in oven and cook 8-9 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately place on a rack or clean tea towels in order to cool.

Makes 4 dozen cookies

These are my favorite next to Molasses.  I pay DEARLY for them.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 07:21:44 AM »
I know this is a bit obvious, but how about gingerbread? So easy and always goes down quite well. Heres the recipe which I use;
200g plain flour
75g dark, soft brown sugar
50g butter
1 dessertspoon spoon golden syrup
˝ teaspoon spoon baking powder
1 teaspoon spoon ground ginger
1 egg

Preheat the over to 180 degrees celcius, and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Put the flour, baking powder, sugar and ginger in a bowl, then whisk the eggs in a separate bowl. Melt the butter and syrup together in a saucepan, add to the whisked eggs then add that to the dry mixture. Mix to form a dough. Roll to about half a centimetre thick and cut out shapes. Christmas trees work quite well, and can be decorated with icing, silver balls, raisins, etc  :D Bake for about 10 minutes, although do check on them often as they ca burn quite quickly.
Hope i've been some help!

retreadbride

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 09:44:11 AM »
This is my favorite recipe. I'm at work, but googled it

Cookie Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Frosting Ingredients:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine all cookie ingredients in large mixer bowl . Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes).

Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 8x1-inch roll. Wrap in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm (1 to 2 hours).

Heat oven to 350°F.

With sharp knife, cut each half into 1/4-inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until set. (Cookies will not brown.) Cool completely.

Combine all frosting ingredients in small mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until fluffy (1 to 2 minutes). Frost cooled cookies.

Makes 4 dozen cookies.

Tips for successful Lemon Meltaways:

This cookie is a shortbread-type cookie with a high proportion of butter to flour and sugar. The dough may seem slightly more crumbly. Egg is not an ingredient in this type of cookie.

Be sure to measure all ingredients accurately using the proper measuring cups. For dry ingredients use graduated metal or plastic measuring cups. Spoon the dry ingredient lightly into a measuring cup. Do not tap or shake the cup or scoop the ingredient into the cup. Level off any excess amount by running a straight-edge or table knife across the top.

Use measuring spoons to measure liquids in this recipe rather than tableware spoons for accuracy.

The butter in this recipe should be softened, but not melted. For best results let butter stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before mixing the cookie dough. Or, cut the butter into chunks or pieces for easier mixing. Also, 3/4 cup butter equals 1 1/2 sticks of butter.

If the dough is dry and crumbly after beating, add 1 to 2 tablespoons cream or soft butter, adding 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms.

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 03:53:32 AM »
I posted a traditional Austrian Christmas cookie recipe in the recipe folder.  Vanilla crescents.  Super easy and really tasty.

ETA: here's the link (I hope it works) http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=113.msg53624#msg53624
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 03:56:15 AM by Bienchen »
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup