Author Topic: "No" on match.com  (Read 17625 times)

CrayonOutlines

"No" on match.com
« on: October 01, 2007, 12:33:40 PM »
Ha!  Just used this today.  A guy on Match.com e-mailed me, but I wasn't interested.  But he persisted.  Here's our exchange, which took place over a series of days:

HIM:
good morning princess!

ME:
Hi,

Thanks for contacting me, but I don't think we're a match.

Good luck with your search!

: )

HIM:
and why is that? race??

ME:
Nope. That's not it.

HIM:
well tell me what i'm doing wrong? i think i'm a great catch. i have two jobs that pay really good. i'm a purchasing manager for the port of BigCity and i'm a pilot for BigAirline. i see you were from OtherCity i'm from NearbyCity

ME:
There's nothing WRONG with you -- we're just not a match.

Sorry. : (

HIM:
how did you came up with that?

ME:
Look, I'm trying to be nice, but you're making it hard for me to remain that way. No one has ever complained/whined/questioned/bullied me into dating him. "No" is a complete sentence. Give it up.

green ferns

Re: "No" on match.com
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
LOL! Good for you!
This guy is being so pushy, and he has to ask you WHY you're not a match?

Sigh.

Shortcake

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Good going!

Did he think that if he argued long enough, you would say yes?  ::)
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Tanya

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 01:49:45 PM »
I'm sure he's just appalled that you don't realize that he's a VERY, IMPORTANT MAN!  Give me a break.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 02:46:59 PM »

Bravo!  :)

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

dinakitten

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 02:56:48 PM »
Good for you! I hate it that guys often don't understand that. "Hey baby, want to go out?" "No." "Why not?"  >:(

jassou

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 06:51:07 PM »
I don't know, maybe he's gotten so many rejections he's wondering what on earth is wrong with him, so he askes for some feedback. I don't know date sites, but wouldn't that be a nice thing to do ('I had a look at your profile but i think we're a little too different'), or is it not done?

I know 'no' is a full sentence, but wouldn't it be just a little friendlier? It seems like such a cold brush off, otherwise. (I haven't dated in a long time though, so don't really know the ropes...)

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 07:02:42 PM »
I don't know, maybe he's gotten so many rejections he's wondering what on earth is wrong with him, so he askes for some feedback. I don't know date sites, but wouldn't that be a nice thing to do ('I had a look at your profile but i think we're a little too different'), or is it not done?

I know 'no' is a full sentence, but wouldn't it be just a little friendlier? It seems like such a cold brush off, otherwise. (I haven't dated in a long time though, so don't really know the ropes...)

In my experience, when Person A contacts Person B and Person B isn't interested, Person B simply ignores the e-mail.  So in the world of online dating, the fact that I even responded is considered nice.  And he didn't seem to be asking for constructive criticism (I've had guys do that before) -- he was arguing with me about why I should give him a chance.

Lucky you that you haven't dated in a long time!  (I'm assuming you're in a relationship.)  It's brutal out here!   :)

jassou

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 07:08:24 PM »
And he didn't seem to be asking for constructive criticism (I've had guys do that before) -- he was arguing with me about why I should give him a chance.

haha, that sounds more like an agressive sales pitch that trying to charm a girl! :)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 07:23:25 PM »

Sorry, but that exchange wasn't a man puzzled about why he wasn't a match. That's a man who believes that women can be bullied into doing anything, if he keeps poking at them for explanations. "Friendliness" won't work. Giving him explanations is like trying to explain to a telemarketer why you don't want to buy what they're selling. They don't honestly want to know WHY you don't want it, they just want you to buy it, and if you don't get rid of them quickly, they'll try to wear you down.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 07:37:50 PM »
Good for you!

(I'd be tempted to tell him we were not a match because I could never date someone who says, "I have two jobs that pay really good.")

lilfaerhie

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 07:52:12 PM »
Good for you!

(I'd be tempted to tell him we were not a match because I could never date someone who says, "I have two jobs that pay really good.")

my first thought, lol! yes, that was a pushy jerk not a guy looking for constructive criticism. you have to treat him like a child begging for sweets - just say "no". if you give them anything else they will use it as leverage to try to reason with you about why they should have the sweets. they can't argue (though some try) with no.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 09:16:39 PM »
How exactly could someone be a purchasing manager for a port AND an airline pilot? Don't both of those jobs involve pretty heavy time commitments?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lovinAZ

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 09:18:53 PM »
Good for you! I hate it that guys often don't understand that. "Hey baby, want to go out?" "No." "Why not?"  >:(

"Because you're pushy."   >:D

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 10:56:46 PM »
"that pay pretty good"?

How about "which pay pretty well"?

Mr Pushy...purchasing agent by day...

pilot by night!