Author Topic: While you are there....  (Read 2073 times)

gingerzing

While you are there....
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »
Posting this because I told my co-worker to say this. 

Co-worker, Peggy, works in my office in a mid-management type of position. While our office is based in the Midwest (US), Peggy's folks have a ranch/farm in one of the mountain states.  Peggy just got back to the office from a long weekend at her folks.  She related this conversation that she had with our HR head, Carol.
Apparently, the only non-work related conversations that Carol has with Peggy are about fruit- we will say peaches.  Specifically the peaches from Peggy home state because they are so good.  Carol somehow decided that Peggy's family has peach trees in their yard.  (They don't)  Carol also decided that any peaches that Peggy brings into the office must be from her home state. Early last week Peggy blew Carol's mind by having some peaches from a local grocery store. 
Carol has decided to buy a peach tree from Peggy's home state and told Peggy that of course she could just bring it back with her the next time she goes to visit her folks.   :o
I told Peggy she was more than welcome to use "That just won't be possible." 

So many things wrong with this concept. 
1- Peggy does NOT consider Carol a friend.  And even if they were fairly close friends, this is a fairly weird request. 
2- Tree will not fit in Peggy's truck.
3- Tree will not have the same growing conditions here.  Fruit will be different.
4- Most fruit trees take a while before bearing any viable fruit. 
5- Not sure about some fruit trees, but I know my folks tried to have apple trees and you had to have a "male" and a "female".  (Though this may only be for the type of tree we had.)
6- Pretty sure Carol not interested in paying for Peggy's gas.

Lynn2000

Re: While you are there....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:48:30 PM »
Yeah, that is super-weird. I mean, a tree is a living thing, and fairly large (even if small for a tree). It's not something you just ask someone to pick up for you and tote back across several states the next time they happen to be going there.

I would also tell Peggy that, valid as her reasons are, she should not bother telling them to Carol. Carol sounds like the type who might not really get it and would push back with exceptions and conditions. (In other words, a "don't JADE" situation.)
~Lynn2000

gingerzing

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »
Oh, Peggy is not going to JADE.  Peggy is going to probably say "not possible"...maybe.  Most likely she will say a definate (un-Ehell rated) "NO". 
Though it was brought up that if the truck was big enough, she would find out how much shipping a tree would cost and double that price.    (Peggy isn't a pushover. Nice shiny spine)

Mostly because I know Carol.  And if the tree didn't produce within a year or when the fruit wasn't the same as from Home State, she would blame Peggy.

MrTango

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:00:14 PM »
Oh, Peggy is not going to JADE.  Peggy is going to probably say "not possible"...maybe.  Most likely she will say a definate (un-Ehell rated) "NO". 
Though it was brought up that if the truck was big enough, she would find out how much shipping a tree would cost and double that price.    (Peggy isn't a pushover. Nice shiny spine)

Mostly because I know Carol.  And if the tree didn't produce within a year or when the fruit wasn't the same as from Home State, she would blame Peggy.

There's nothing rude about saying "No" in a calm, civil tone of voice.  It's abrupt. It's direct. It's unfriendly. It's not rude.

magicdomino

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
Posting this because I told my co-worker to say this. 

Co-worker, Peggy, works in my office in a mid-management type of position. While our office is based in the Midwest (US), Peggy's folks have a ranch/farm in one of the mountain states.  Peggy just got back to the office from a long weekend at her folks.  She related this conversation that she had with our HR head, Carol.
Apparently, the only non-work related conversations that Carol has with Peggy are about fruit- we will say peaches.  Specifically the peaches from Peggy home state because they are so good.  Carol somehow decided that Peggy's family has peach trees in their yard.  (They don't)  Carol also decided that any peaches that Peggy brings into the office must be from her home state. Early last week Peggy blew Carol's mind by having some peaches from a local grocery store. 
Carol has decided to buy a peach tree from Peggy's home state and told Peggy that of course she could just bring it back with her the next time she goes to visit her folks.   :o
I told Peggy she was more than welcome to use "That just won't be possible." 

So many things wrong with this concept. 
1- Peggy does NOT consider Carol a friend.  And even if they were fairly close friends, this is a fairly weird request. 
2- Tree will not fit in Peggy's truck.
3- Tree will not have the same growing conditions here.  Fruit will be different.
4- Most fruit trees take a while before bearing any viable fruit. 
5- Not sure about some fruit trees, but I know my folks tried to have apple trees and you had to have a "male" and a "female".  (Though this may only be for the type of tree we had.)
6- Pretty sure Carol not interested in paying for Peggy's gas.

7- I've tried growing fruit at home. It isn't easy to get really nice fruit.  Most modern fruit trees have to be sprayed for diseases and insects, usually every few weeks.  Professional orchards are carefully fertilized, pruned, mowed, and otherwise constantly maintained. 

Lynn2000

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »
I see the young fruit trees/bushes at my local nursery, and there's always this impulse I have to get one, because I guess I think it's going to be like a fresh fruit vending machine in my backyard. No, they actually take a lot of work! Or if they're relatively easy, that means they'll take over (like a blackberry bush).
~Lynn2000

lakey

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:55:30 PM »
My parents had a fruit farm when I was growing up. There is more to this than just sticking a tree in the ground.
You are right that the conditions are different not only state to state, but in different regions of the state. Michigan has fruit farms nearer Lake Michigan because the body of water moderates the climate.
You are right that at least some fruit trees need a male and female tree.
Also the spraying of fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides, and so on is pretty complicated. I had a peach tree in the yard of my house and the peaches were so buggy I wouldn't touch the things. Fruit is sweet so it attracts bugs. I tried spraying with some simple pesticide from the nursery and it did no good. You have to spray according to the weather and that varies. That's why they have farm reports in farm areas.
Also, you are right about how it can take years before the tree gives fruit.

Then there is the issue we see so often here of someone imposing on an acquaintance.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 11:39:18 PM »
  Some fruit trees need different species to cross pollinate with (at least so I've read) My great great uncle used to raise fruit trees , he developed a type of apple (just a few trees )  Just from my personal experience apple trees are hard , they get wormy if not maintained properly , pears seemed easy (lots of tasty pears but a pain to clear up the fallen fruit and it would get infested with bees fast).  My ex fil has a peach tree it does bare fruit but not great fruit , ok fruit (no bugs though)He knows what he's doing though.

You can't just plop a tree anywhere and get good fruit. 

I'm not sure whats funnier the absurdity of the request or the hairbrainedness of the idea.

FizzyChip

• weight
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 02:07:48 AM »
Sorry to go a little off topic, this reminds me of a woman ("Joanna") whom I used to "know" through an online chat room several years ago.  We were quite a chummy and international little group and it became the norm for us to send each other small items from our home countries to each other.  It was a bit of a barter system, for instance, as I'm in Australia, I might send a British friend a packet of Australian crisps and she'd reciprocate by sending me a pack of the British equivalent.  It was small, fairly inexpensive food stuffs mainly from what I remember and was quite fun.

Joanna lived in the US and seemed to misunderstand the concept of our little system.  She started asking people from the group to send her quite highly priced items.  For instance, she wanted me to send her a genuine Akubra hat.  For those not in the know, this is a felt cowboy style hat, popularised in the 80's & 90's by the golfer Greg Norman.  They cost around 200AUD each.  Long story short, it became evident that Joanna expected me to foot the bill for the hat itself as well as the shipping, even when I explained that they were damned expensive even in Australia.  I refused.

She left our group shortly afterwards, citing that we weren't as "nice" as she first thought we were.  It transpired after she had left us that she had made similar requests to a number of non-US members.  On each occasion she made no mention of reciprocating or reimbursing anyone for such purchases & her response to the resulting refusal was one of affronted indignation.  ::)

I do not understand people like Carol or Joanna.  Do they really think that transporting a fruit tree across country is a simple and inexpensive undertaking or do they just have the "I wanna" and think that it's up to other people to make their ideas a reality?  I know I am certainly not without fault myself and perhaps there is something I do which is equally self-absorbed, but this sort of thing makes me want to shout at the Joanna's and Carol's of the world  "hellooooooo, I'm another person on the planet", just to see what they're reaction is.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:21:22 AM by FizzyChip »

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 05:28:57 AM »
She wanted an Akubra Hat wowza. AND expected You to pay for it SMH ::)

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

chibichan

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »
Sadly , there are professional panhandlers in the world and they have flourished on the Internet . It's the law of averages - if you stand on the street and ask 1000 people for $ 1.00 , you will eventually get some money .

Johanna may or may not have been mining chatrooms for freebies but believe me , those people are out there .

The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.