News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 05, 2015, 07:53:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 50/50 Draws  (Read 3979 times)

MOM21SON

Re: 50/50 Draws
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »
I have always donated my winnings back.  When I attend a benefit, it is because there is a need.  My friends and I all buy tickets and I can count on one hand the number of things we have kept.  Haircut, no thanks, I have my own hairdresser.  Wine, I don't drink wine.  50/50?  One time it was 75 bucks and once it was 200 range, we have always just donated it back. 

With that said, we always know who or what the benefit is for.  We don't "blindly" attend.  We have a great time eating and drinking and seeing friends.  We aren't there to win money or anything.  We are happy leaving with empty pockets.

Sorry, I left out my reason for posting.  There should not be pressure to give it back and to pressure someone is rude.  And there is nothing wrong with keeping it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:22:22 PM by MOM21SON »

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 07:41:49 PM »
I have always donated my winnings back.  When I attend a benefit, it is because there is a need.  My friends and I all buy tickets and I can count on one hand the number of things we have kept.  Haircut, no thanks, I have my own hairdresser.  Wine, I don't drink wine.  50/50?  One time it was 75 bucks and once it was 200 range, we have always just donated it back. 

With that said, we always know who or what the benefit is for.  We don't "blindly" attend.  We have a great time eating and drinking and seeing friends.  We aren't there to win money or anything.  We are happy leaving with empty pockets.

Sorry, I left out my reason for posting.  There should not be pressure to give it back and to pressure someone is rude.  And there is nothing wrong with keeping it.

There is a need--but that's what the other 50% is for. The cause gets half and the winner gets half. The winner gets a prize and the org gets probably more money than they'd have made without the incentive, win/win.

MOM21SON

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »

There is a need--but that's what the other 50% is for. The cause gets half and the winner gets half. The winner gets a prize and the org gets probably more money than they'd have made without the incentive, win/win.

If that that you like to do, there is nothing wrong with that.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 11:30:30 AM »
I *might* give (some of) my share of 50/50 winnings back to the cause.  But if I do?  I'm doing it directly to the cause so I can get the tax benefit.

I won a 50/50 jackpot at a function back in the spring.  It was done to raise some money for a young mother in the group who had recently lost her husband.  I kept the round figure and donated the rest back to the cause.  I think it was $127.50 or something that I won.  I kept the $120.  There were no comments, other than a thank you for throwing the $7.50 back.  In this case, there was no tax receipt to be had.  At the time, I was expecting to be on strike very soon and that money paid for my yearly membership into the group.

I'd do the same at a wedding social - I'd keep the round figure and donate back the 'change'.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

darkprincess

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
I read this to my mother to get her opinion because she is more likely that me to be at events that do this. Her response was that it is always ok to ask.

I am not sure if I agree with her because of the social pressure of doing it in front of a crowd.

Biker Granny

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2015, 11:39:53 AM »
In our social circle....if the 50/50 is for charity it is usually donated back to the cause.

Last weekend I won one that wasn't for charity and had no problem keeping the winnings.

Nobody is forced or shamed into doing whatever they want with the winnings.

Clarin

• Heather Wardell, Women's Fiction
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
I'm the president of a concert band (with charitable status) that runs frequent 50/50 draws. We have once had someone donate back the winnings and I was surprised and touched, but I would never expect the winner to do that and I would 110% not ask or permit anyone else to ask for that to happen. The deal is that we (the winner and the organization) split the pot, and IMO any pressure to donate changes that deal. We have charitable status but I don't see that making any difference here - the tickets were bought with the expectation of keeping any winnings.

If I were watching a 50/50 draw winner get pressured to donate, I would definitely never buy a ticket for that group's draws again and I would tell them why if asked.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 02:34:51 PM »
I've been to a number of fundraisers that had both baskets, where you buy tickets, and put as many tickets in as many baskets as you want, and spend as much as you choose, and the winning ticket wins the item.   There are also 50/50 drawings, and a number of other drawings. The ones my group of friends and I usually attend are fundraisers for private schools, churches, or other organizations.  We've never given back anything we've won.

And as far as I can tell, no one has ever refused a basket or prize they won either, in my group, or overall, because they had "already won" one or more. In fact, the last one I went to had both an Android tablet, and Ipad as two of the grand prizes, and someone in my group, won both!  and kept both! Now some people may say she should have chosen one, and refused the other, being that they were essentially the same thing, but I disagree. She bought tickets for each, and just happened to get lucky and win both. She had the same chance everyone else did, and just got very very lucky.

And I've seen some people win 6, 7 10 prizes. its the luck of the draw, and if they choose to spend several hundred dollars on chances to win vs. my $50 or so, fabulous. Then its likely they will win more! 

the one and only time I saw anyone give back their 50/50 winnings, was when it was for a local catholic HS, and i believe one of the parent's won, and donated it back. But in all that I've attended, its never been suggested that the winner give it back, and that's the only time I've seen it done.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »
My parents were at a dinner with fundraising raffles.  There were several bottles of wine as door prizes and the big prize was a Texas mickey (rural Ontario parlance for a very large bottle) of whiskey.  Mom had won a bottle of wine or two and then won the big prize!  Then my Dad's ticket won.  He was too embarrassed to go up.  Not Mom!  The announcer joked - 'Not you, again!'.  She did give that bottle and one of hers to  the other couples at the table.

I'm of the opinion that if you won, you won.  If I'm winning everything, I might turn back one or some of the smaller prizes to be redrawn but I'm keeping the big one(s)!  But since I rarely win anything, I've never really had this problem.  :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario