Author Topic: This has been helping me at work  (Read 3496 times)

Reika

This has been helping me at work
« on: September 02, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »
As I posted in the good news folder, I started off in a call center at my current employer over 7 years ago (how time flies when you're not having fun and likely heading for a nervous breakdown) and a little over a month ago I finally got away into a claims processing position. I am very happy with this job, there's probably a thousand percent less stress and grief and my new department seems very happy with me as well.

However, the call center just doesn't want to let go. At first they asked my current manager if I could work Mondays without coming to be directly. Grateful for my time spent here I used "I'm afraid that won't be possible" while my internal response was not fit for here. ;)

Then they asked could I work the day after Labor Day (today) when I said no to Mondays, my internal response was even less polite, but I still used the polite version.

I come in this morning to them asking yet again, if I could come to call center today. So again, I said it wouldn't be possible.

I guess at this point it's a Toots Special, but this is getting ridiculous, I want to ask "What part of no do you not understand?"

nayberry

Re: This has been helping me at work
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »
how about "whilst its lovely to know you miss me so much, i have a different job now and need to do that work"

bloo

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »
Maybe you could amend the wording to, "I'm afraid that will *never* be possible."  ::)

Or something along those lines. I'm glad you're in a less stressful environment!

Reika

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »
Well, I'm trying not to burn bridges, but I'll mull over a more strongly worded response if they ask again. :)

I am grateful for what I've learned on this site, it's great to be able to stand up for myself and avoid sounding like a jerk.

LEMon

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 01:48:00 AM »
Make sure all applicable bosses understand your position too.  Just for back up.  Also in case they try to persuade someone else to "loan" you to them.

Stay strong. 

Glad to hear the new job is such an improvement.

Reika

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 12:25:21 PM »
The management of my new area has no problems supporting me. Especially since they've noticed my unit is down from a 1 week turn around for a claim to be processed to 2-3 days since I've joined. They don't want to lose my productivity.

Plus they all think the call center is inhumane working conditions.

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »
The management of my new area has no problems supporting me. Especially since they've noticed my unit is down from a 1 week turn around for a claim to be processed to 2-3 days since I've joined. They don't want to lose my productivity.

Plus they all think the call center is inhumane working conditions.

Wow, you *are* making a difference.  I can see why they don't want to lose you.  Stay strong!

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 12:45:22 AM »
Ugh, I have had several work situations over the years where I have wanted to scream, "Can you please forget I know how to do that job??"

Sometimes it's when you get promoted or transferred into a different position and the old, undesirable department wants to borrow you "just today, because we're really stuck." (It's never just today, they will ask again and again and again).

In my case it was when I wasn't getting full time work in Position A, so I took the initiative to also train for the less desirable Position B, as a separate job within the same company, to supplement my income. Then, when I finally had more stability and hours with Position A, I quit Position B. But then the manager of B department was always "arranging" with the manager at "A" to "borrow" me "because so-and-so is sick and we're really stuck." Nobody else from Department A was asked to do this, because they didn't have the misfortune of knowing how to do the job in Department B.

The other thing that happened to me when I worked both jobs was that Position A slashed my hours even more, with "Oh, we gave more hours to Colleague John than you, because you're getting all those hours over in B so it's fair to even it up." No, it's not fair, because I took the initiative to apply for and take on Position B, and John did not.

Reika

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 01:05:49 AM »
Oh, that's awful, Raintree. Fortunately, my current manager will ask me rather than "voluntell" me. It also helps that they've stopped asking. I suspect there was pressure from on high since there's only 3 of us for our particular claim type, so when we're down one person, we feel the impact.