Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

I used the line today!

(1/4) > >>

LiveLoveLearn:
Well, I used it.  I knew, as a mother to a shy 3 year old and a rambunctious 1 year old (2 on Friday!) boys, that the opportunity would present itself, more likely sooner rather than later.

This morning, I dropped DS1 off at preschool and took DS2 grocery shopping.  After shopping, we got back to the van where I KNOW I buckled him in.  I was on the cell and had to hang up to get the dang-darnity thing clipped.  I double checked it.  It was latched.

A few miles down the road, as I'm going 45 mph, I hear DS2 making a strange noise.  Look in the rearview mirror and he's standing on the seat, unbuckled, scared half to death.  I fight the impulse to slam on the breaks and I put on my hazards, slow down, and look for somewhere close to pull off the road.  The nearest place happened to be a gas station.

I pull in, put the van in park, and go around and open the door.  Behind me, I hear a woman gasp and say "You're a filthy (expletive) to let a child that young ride without being buckled in."  I looked over my shoulder, gave the look of ice and said...  "What an interesting assumption."  Turned back to DS2, lectured him about not undoing his buckle while Mommy is driving, buckled him back in and off we went.

I was so happy that I remembered to use 'the line' that I almost forgot how scared I had been!
Thanks E-hell  :)

**Edited because my subject line had included what sounded like a brag, so I removed it :0

macysnail:
Wow good for you!  I can't believe how well you were able to maintain your composure. 

strawbabies:
I can't believe she got all high and mighty on you, but used that kind of language in front of a child.

jais:

--- Quote from: strawbabies on October 01, 2007, 02:50:41 PM ---I can't believe she got all high and mighty on you, but used that kind of language in front of a child.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  I would have had a hard time using ONLY the line.  :-[

LiveLoveLearn:
I admitt, there was a lot more I wanted to say to her, but I loudly lectured to DS2 that he was never to do it again.

--- Quote from: strawbabies on October 01, 2007, 02:50:41 PM ---I can't believe she got all high and mighty on you, but used that kind of language in front of a child.

--- End quote ---

I know.  I was actually thinking that what she called me applied more to her for speaking that way.  "Well, yes, my child is unbuckled, which is why I stopped to buckle him back in.  Which I managed without cussing at him, thank you."  Darn it, of course now I think of the perfect response.  I was still shaking from the site of seeing my one year old standing up unbuckled when she said that, so I'm surprized I got anything out at all!
She did seem rather put off at 'the line' though - kind of befuddled.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version