Author Topic: I used the line today!  (Read 6579 times)

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
I used the line today!
« on: October 01, 2007, 02:38:45 PM »
Well, I used it.  I knew, as a mother to a shy 3 year old and a rambunctious 1 year old (2 on Friday!) boys, that the opportunity would present itself, more likely sooner rather than later.

This morning, I dropped DS1 off at preschool and took DS2 grocery shopping.  After shopping, we got back to the van where I KNOW I buckled him in.  I was on the cell and had to hang up to get the dang-darnity thing clipped.  I double checked it.  It was latched.

A few miles down the road, as I'm going 45 mph, I hear DS2 making a strange noise.  Look in the rearview mirror and he's standing on the seat, unbuckled, scared half to death.  I fight the impulse to slam on the breaks and I put on my hazards, slow down, and look for somewhere close to pull off the road.  The nearest place happened to be a gas station.

I pull in, put the van in park, and go around and open the door.  Behind me, I hear a woman gasp and say "You're a filthy (expletive) to let a child that young ride without being buckled in."  I looked over my shoulder, gave the look of ice and said...  "What an interesting assumption."  Turned back to DS2, lectured him about not undoing his buckle while Mommy is driving, buckled him back in and off we went.

I was so happy that I remembered to use 'the line' that I almost forgot how scared I had been!
Thanks E-hell  :)

**Edited because my subject line had included what sounded like a brag, so I removed it :0
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:09:06 PM by LiveLoveLearn »

macysnail

Re: I'm first - I used the line today!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 02:45:52 PM »
Wow good for you!  I can't believe how well you were able to maintain your composure. 

strawbabies

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 02:50:41 PM »
I can't believe she got all high and mighty on you, but used that kind of language in front of a child.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »
I can't believe she got all high and mighty on you, but used that kind of language in front of a child.

I agree.  I would have had a hard time using ONLY the line.  :-[

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 03:08:05 PM »
I admitt, there was a lot more I wanted to say to her, but I loudly lectured to DS2 that he was never to do it again.

I know.  I was actually thinking that what she called me applied more to her for speaking that way.  "Well, yes, my child is unbuckled, which is why I stopped to buckle him back in.  Which I managed without cussing at him, thank you."  Darn it, of course now I think of the perfect response.  I was still shaking from the site of seeing my one year old standing up unbuckled when she said that, so I'm surprized I got anything out at all!
She did seem rather put off at 'the line' though - kind of befuddled.

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
Re: I used the line today!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 03:27:03 PM »
I think 'the line' was made for issues involving relationships, weight and child-rearing.

ch1pch0p

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 03:36:47 PM »
Wow! Good for you maintaining your composure with her. I definitely would have wanted to say something else -- especially after the way she made it personal!

unicornbee

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »
What an assumption is right... I know both my younger brothers had a habit of unbuckling themselves. With my baby brother, when that happened my mom would ask me (I was 7 or 8) to buckle him back in. I guess when on her 4th kid she stopped freaking out so much...

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 06:46:51 PM »
I guess when on her 4th kid she stopped freaking out so much...

See, DS1 is shy and reserved.  He wouldn't be daring enough to do it.
DS2, however... sigh.  He's a daredevil.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 06:48:13 PM »
I'm really impressed. I would have wanted to scream things at that woman that shouldn't be said in front of a child.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:41:33 AM by Wonderflonium »
The status is not quo!

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 06:51:09 PM »
Hehe, my girls both get really upset if I forget to buckle them in all the way. It hasn't happened often, but with three kids it's bound to happen once in awhile. Heh. They'll start to yell "Mom, I'm not buckled!" before we start to drive away. I've been really lucky with them.
Utah

Lady Vavasour

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 10:09:40 PM »
I admitt, there was a lot more I wanted to say to her, but I loudly lectured to DS2 that he was never to do it again.

I know.  I was actually thinking that what she called me applied more to her for speaking that way.  "Well, yes, my child is unbuckled, which is why I stopped to buckle him back in.  Which I managed without cussing at him, thank you."  Darn it, of course now I think of the perfect response.  I was still shaking from the site of seeing my one year old standing up unbuckled when she said that, so I'm surprized I got anything out at all!
She did seem rather put off at 'the line' though - kind of befuddled.

I think you already gave the perfect response :)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 02:19:49 AM »
I think 'the line' was made for issues involving relationships, weight and child-rearing.

That's an interesting assumption.  ;)

heathert

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 11:54:01 PM »

I thought it was for whenever someone is "assuming" something that is wrong and making a rude comment based on that assumption.  If that's the case, I believe this situation would apply.

Heather

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 11:58:40 PM »

I thought it was for whenever someone is "assuming" something that is wrong and making a rude comment based on that assumption.  If that's the case, I believe this situation would apply.

Heather

I only meant that with those particular three subjects are the ones people feel the need to "butt in on" when they have no experience and/or knowledge with the situation. Assumptions made about diets, marriage and kids, etc., usually made from complete strangers who have observed your life for a whole 47 seconds. ;)