Author Topic: I used the line today!  (Read 6492 times)

Shortcake

Re: I used the line today!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 09:09:52 AM »
Wow! Good for you maintaining your composure with her. I definitely would have wanted to say something else -- especially after the way she made it personal!

You did great!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

ninja710

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 01:52:43 PM »
Well, I used it.  I knew, as a mother to a shy 3 year old and a rambunctious 1 year old (2 on Friday!) boys, that the opportunity would present itself, more likely sooner rather than later.

This morning, I dropped DS1 off at preschool and took DS2 grocery shopping.  After shopping, we got back to the van where I KNOW I buckled him in.  I was on the cell and had to hang up to get the dang-darnity thing clipped.  I double checked it.  It was latched.

A few miles down the road, as I'm going 45 mph, I hear DS2 making a strange noise.  Look in the rearview mirror and he's standing on the seat, unbuckled, scared half to death.  I fight the impulse to slam on the breaks and I put on my hazards, slow down, and look for somewhere close to pull off the road.  The nearest place happened to be a gas station.

I pull in, put the van in park, and go around and open the door.  Behind me, I hear a woman gasp and say "You're a filthy (expletive) to let a child that young ride without being buckled in."  I looked over my shoulder, gave the look of ice and said...  "What an interesting assumption."  Turned back to DS2, lectured him about not undoing his buckle while Mommy is driving, buckled him back in and off we went.

I was so happy that I remembered to use 'the line' that I almost forgot how scared I had been!
Thanks E-hell  :)

**Edited because my subject line had included what sounded like a brag, so I removed it :0

I guess I'm officially old - when I was little cars didn't have seat belts and we all just bounced around whenever there was a quick stop.  Mom's right arm used to automatically stretch out to catch the child when you braked (because in those days, kids also sat in the front seat).  Now the right arm goes out to make sure your drink doesn't spill. 

My point is, we might have been a little bruised but basically undamaged, so I don't think it was quite as big a deal as made out to be (and I am also a firm believer in everyone being buckled in.)

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 04:20:24 PM »
My point is, we might have been a little bruised but basically undamaged, so I don't think it was quite as big a deal as made out to be (and I am also a firm believer in everyone being buckled in.)

Cars have seat belts and kids have car seats because of all the people (and kids) who got more than just bumps and bruises, though. You were one of the lucky ones. Many children didn't make it to adulthood, or are seriously impaired because of car accidents with no car seats/seat belts.

*stepping off of soap box*
Utah