Author Topic: Used when accused of lying  (Read 9994 times)

Telmereth

Used when accused of lying
« on: October 01, 2007, 04:38:16 PM »
I was walking around my Students Union earlier and there were all sorts of information stands set up. There was one for the TV licensing people (in England we have to pay an annual fee to be allowed to own and watch a TV - it's controversial but if you get caught without you can be fined up to £1000) and they were asking most people who walked by if they had a TV license.

As I walked past I was asked the question, to which I replied (truthfully) "yes". The woman pointed her finger at me and said "huh, you hesitated! I know you haven't really got one!"

And I said (here it comes) "what an interesting assumption" before walking away.

rashea

• Super Hero!
Re: Used when accused of lying
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 04:49:01 PM »
If you don't mind my asking, what was the thinking behind requiring a TV license?

Sorry, my American brain just can't wrap around this one. ;)
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:09:17 PM »
If you don't mind my asking, what was the thinking behind requiring a TV license?

Sorry, my American brain just can't wrap around this one. ;)

The TV license funds the BBC which provides independent programming across radio, tv and web.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/licencefee/

I like having the BBC. It means no adverts, no product placement and a lot of good programmes.

Telmereth

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »
Yup. I don't mind paying it either, but it is controversial nonetheless!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 07:18:27 PM »
In Canada, we have the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. It's kind of like the BBC (except that it's pathetically bad for everything except sports), in that it is a not-for-profit enterprise. However, it is supported by taxpayers directly. By the TV license, the BBC is supposedly supported mostly by people who actually watch it.

If all I had to watch was the CBC, I'd certainly not bother buying a TV.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Issa

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 05:25:30 AM »
In Canada, we have the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. It's kind of like the BBC (except that it's pathetically bad for everything except sports), in that it is a not-for-profit enterprise. However, it is supported by taxpayers directly. By the TV license, the BBC is supposedly supported mostly by people who actually watch it.

A bit OT, but I actually like the CBC. It has good documentaries on sometimes, and also I have a liiiittle crush on George Stromboulopolous  ;D

darwinkity

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 11:27:26 AM »
Still OT, but here in the states we've got Public Broadcasting Service (which airs stuff like Antiques Road Show, a ton of documentaries and a few old episodes of "Are you Being Served?" every now and then). and there are usually state funded channels of the same nature (here in Maryland it's MPT).  These channels are funded through advertising and viewer donations.  Personally, I like what I'm hearing regarding the BBC.  I'm American born, but sometimes I swear I'm a Brit at heart (specially when it comes to my tv viewing pleasures).  My TV never leaves the BBC America channel, which unfortunately does have commercials and stuff like "Doctor Who" is TWO seasons behind BBC.

angilamae

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 12:50:51 PM »
im gonna be off topic also.  they tax just for owning a tv?  what if say you only watch dvds and things not actual tv.  you still have to pay for it?  sorry if that seems dumb but i am like Rashea and it is like a whole other world over there
I can resist everything except temptation-Oscar Wilde

thedoglady

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 01:40:26 PM »
im gonna be off topic also.  they tax just for owning a tv?  what if say you only watch dvds and things not actual tv.  you still have to pay for it?  sorry if that seems dumb but i am like Rashea and it is like a whole other world over there

Unless the law has changed, you have to have a licence even if your tv does not receive a signal (as is or was the case in some places in the Highlands of Scotland). 

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 01:46:11 PM »

Unless the law has changed, you have to have a licence even if your tv does not receive a signal (as is or was the case in some places in the Highlands of Scotland). 

:o so in other words you have to pay for a tv service you can't even watch

Shay

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

A bit OT, but I actually like the CBC. It has good documentaries on sometimes, and also I have a liiiittle crush on George Stromboulopolous  ;D

Mmm! He is yummy, isn't he?

I watch mostly Canadian channels. I'd pay for a license in a heartbeat if it meant no commercials.

Back on topic - why would she be berating you at all? Isn't it possible you were just deep in thought? And what is she going to do if someone says "no"? Scream at them until they agree to get one, even if they don't have a TV?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »
Still OT, but here in the states we've got Public Broadcasting Service (which airs stuff like Antiques Road Show, a ton of documentaries and a few old episodes of "Are you Being Served?" every now and then). and there are usually state funded channels of the same nature (here in Maryland it's MPT). ... My TV never leaves the BBC America channel, which unfortunately does have commercials and stuff like "Doctor Who" is TWO seasons behind BBC.

Very occasionally, MPT turns into to BBC America, and I get so happy, as I don't get BBC America.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:41:07 AM by Wonderflonium »
The status is not quo!

Gyburc

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 08:42:21 AM »
Actually, my DH and I recently decided that we were no longer prepared to pay the TV licence, so we have read up on this quite a lot.

In the UK, you are not obliged by law to have a licence just to own a TV. You are only required to pay the licence fee if your television is capable of receiving a television programme signal. Our television is now no longer connected to the aerial, and we only use it to watch DVDs and to play games on the XBox.

However, and this is part of the reason we decided to stop paying, all the publicity material sent out by the TV licensing company suggests that you have to pay in order to own a television set, and that you will be fined if you own a TV and do not pay. In addition, people who have ceased paying, or indeed have never paid because they don't even own a TV, are regularly sent letters from the TV licensing company threatening them with fines and legal action.

I won't go on, because this could stray into political areas quite easily, but the TV licence is something of a hot topic in the UK - you have to pay the BBC (indirectly) even if you don't actually watch any of their programming, but use your TV to watch other terrestrial or satellite channels. Whatever you watch, you have to fund the BBC.

Gyburc

Edited to add: This is why I'm not at all surprised by the attitude of the woman mentioned by the OP...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:44:41 AM by Gyburc »
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

ganjin

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »
I'd pay it from here, if I could get all those lovely programs.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 02:30:57 PM »
I'd pay for the British version of the BBC...  It's so much better than the version I get on my tv.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx