Author Topic: Is this a case for 'the line'?  (Read 6834 times)

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
Re: Is this a case for 'the line'?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 12:28:08 PM »
DF and I recently moved in together, and decided not to have my cable service or his satelite service transfered to the new home.  Mostly, it was economic reasons.  We also don't have home internet (I have unrestricted access at work, he has limited access at work) or a home phone (we each use our cell phones primarily). 

So far, I really like being cable/satelite free.  We're watching movies and TV series we have on DVD.  In a weird way, it's creating better quality time for us.  We pick out the movie together (his collection could rival a video rental store - but it's mostly Action films), so we discuss our moods, preferences, opinions, and other things regarding the night's movie more with each other.

Not having the cable/satelite also frees us up to work on unpacking and finishing settling in.  It's so hard to be motivated to finished organizing the kitchen when you're watching your favorite (and not-so-favorite) shows.  It's just too easy to sink into the couch and stay put for the rest of the evening, especially now that it's dark outside by the time we get home. 

We're going to bed earlier, and I've already noticed a difference in how much better rested I feel in the morning.  I'm not dragging myself out of bed or whining that I wish I had sick days (I'm hourly right now).  DF's seems a little more chipper too and less grumpy in the morning.  I knew staying up late to watch that extra showing of "Good Eats" or "Adult Swim" was cutting into my sleep time, but I never noticed how much it was affecting me. 

I also feel like I'm better preparing myself for when we start our family and will be limiting TV time anyway.  As it is, I feel more inclined to try and make more plans to see friends and explore my neighborhood.

Maybe after the holidays we'll get a cable or satelite service again, but in the meantime, I'm cool with the way things are.  There are shows and channels that I really do miss, but I lived without them when I was little (no cable growing up), and I can live without them now.  My life is still just as rich and full without them.

I wish that "a la carte" cable was an option.  Something like, 15 channels for $10 a month, 35 for $20 a month, on up (regular broadcast included).  In order to get the channels I regularly watch, we usually have to get a larger service package than we really need.  We really only watch about 10 channels with any regularity, and it makes no sense to pay for 100+ of them.  If I can get that kind of customized service on my cell phone, why can't I get it on my TV?
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 12:39:35 PM »
I have no problem with people who don't own a TV in general.

Just as there is a small subset of humanity that is obnoxious, there is a small subset of non-TV-owning humanity that is obnoxious about it.  It's not just matter of fact "I don't own a TV."  It's draw-up-mortally-offended "OH!  We don't OWN a TELEVISION," with a tone that suggests that you should run back home to continue watching your professional wrestling and pixilated girls-gone-wild ads away from the adults, who are about to engage in a discussion about which antiquarian bookstore is best to purchase Marcel Proust's La Recherche du Temps Perdu in Urdu or possibly Swahili, as it is just too accessible in the original French and that ruins the learning experience, don't you know.

So when you mention (appropriately and without tone) that you don't have a TV, and the person you are talking to winces, it may be someone who has encountered one of THOSE people and is bracing for The Speech. ;)

This has been my experience as well, unfortunately.  The people I'm thinking of spend much more time discussing TV than I do...

"I just can't believe the ignorance of the American Public!  I mean, look at this study...5 hours of television a day!  Imagine what they could do with that time!  Why, Vhicktoyriah remodeled the den last week in less time, and she's only 3, and Maximillian Junior IV discovered a new species of shrew living in the basement."  And on, and on...sheesh.

That being said, having a TV or not is a lifestyle choice, and shouldn't be commented on, just like every other lifestyle choice.

However, I think adding the sentence, "We don't own a TV," isn't necessary, like IIL said.  If asked if you saw something, smile, shake your head, and say, "No."

Lizettarose

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 12:04:36 AM »
We're going to bed earlier, and I've already noticed a difference in how much better rested I feel in the morning.  I'm not dragging myself out of bed or whining that I wish I had sick days (I'm hourly right now).  DF's seems a little more chipper too and less grumpy in the morning.  I knew staying up late to watch that extra showing of "Good Eats" or "Adult Swim" was cutting into my sleep time, but I never noticed how much it was affecting me. 

If you really like good eats a poster on you tube is posting the whole seasons without commercials. the poster is Like the hat. http://www.youtube.com/user/LikeTheHat. I am so addicted. ;D ;D ;D
For 7 years now I have been without cable and I am so darn happy about it. We do have hundreds of videos on DVD and VHS. The only reason I watch basic programming is CSI and the news. I knit and crochet a lot so sitting down and watching a episode of Good Eats or CSI while working. It helps me concentrate by multitasking. I have ADD. My DF and I both agree that any children we have will not be TV watchers. Movies and educational shows will be fine for us.

Ohmeomy

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 08:06:18 PM »
People think you're freaks if you don't have a TV and *GASP* get your news from the newspaper.  I did without it for 10 years when my kids were younger, I mean there was literally no TV set in the house at all.  It was the best gift I ever gave my kids.  I have been in too many houses where I have seen obese children sitting slack jawed staring at the TV screen for hours on end.

When people would ask why I would tell them its not good for my children that I prefer they read and use their imagination.

I think people feel it makes them look shallow when others seem to keep occupied and busy without TV and feel it reflects negatively on them.

Personally I don't use the phrase "an interesting assumption".  Its been misused here to the point of merely sounding snotty and rude, its lost whatever impact it ever had through gross misuse and overuse in situations where it hardly even makes sense.  It seems a snide way to say none of your business.  What's wrong with just coming out and saying "thats something I don't discuss."

queelob

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
We recently switched off the cable because it was an unjustifiable expense, and didn't fit in our budget.  (Cable internet, on the other hand, is a necessity  ;D)

We've gone through this with some of our close friends and relatives.  If a casual acquaintance or co-worker says, "Did you see House?"  I say, no, what happened!  (Am currently going through some House withdrawal)    We do have a tuner but it really doesn't work that well, and my work schedule makes it tough to stay up for even a 9:00 show.

Now, when BF's parents ask, "Do you watch The Apprentice???" a simple "no" isn't really sufficient.  Because they will proceed to grill us about every show on TV they feel we should be watching.  We have told them a number of times that we are foregoing TV service for various reasons, but they still ask.  They have declared us to be "intellectual snobs".  Arguing the point is useless, but BF does it anyway.  I don't think the line would do any good here.  "Gee Mrs. BF's Mom, this dip is delicious!" works much better.

Betsy

• Just a little crazy
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 08:26:28 AM »
I was raised without TV.. My parents thought that providing us with a very nice home and good clothes was more important than cable. So until I was 11 or 12 it was the local stations and PBS and that was it... I mostly read and still love reading over TV as a result... my youngest sister however spent most of her life with cable and free rein of the TV.. and we are completely different people because of it... but neither of us are strange or bad people :P your acquaintences are screwy if they think that you think their parenting is lacking

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »

If you really like good eats a poster on you tube is posting the whole seasons without commercials. the poster is Like the hat. http://www.youtube.com/user/LikeTheHat. I am so addicted. ;D ;D ;D
For 7 years now I have been without cable and I am so darn happy about it. We do have hundreds of videos on DVD and VHS. The only reason I watch basic programming is CSI and the news. I knit and crochet a lot so sitting down and watching a episode of Good Eats or CSI while working. It helps me concentrate by multitasking. I have ADD. My DF and I both agree that any children we have will not be TV watchers. Movies and educational shows will be fine for us.

Thanks for the link!  Once I've got internet at home, I'll be hooking up my TV as my monitor so I can crochet and watch too!  (It's so fun to work on an afghan or baby blanket while watching TV during the cold Midwest winters.)  :D
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.