Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

Used when accused of lying

(1/6) > >>

Telmereth:
I was walking around my Students Union earlier and there were all sorts of information stands set up. There was one for the TV licensing people (in England we have to pay an annual fee to be allowed to own and watch a TV - it's controversial but if you get caught without you can be fined up to 1000) and they were asking most people who walked by if they had a TV license.

As I walked past I was asked the question, to which I replied (truthfully) "yes". The woman pointed her finger at me and said "huh, you hesitated! I know you haven't really got one!"

And I said (here it comes) "what an interesting assumption" before walking away.

rashea:
If you don't mind my asking, what was the thinking behind requiring a TV license?

Sorry, my American brain just can't wrap around this one. ;)

Bethalize:

--- Quote from: rashea on October 01, 2007, 04:49:01 PM ---If you don't mind my asking, what was the thinking behind requiring a TV license?

Sorry, my American brain just can't wrap around this one. ;)

--- End quote ---

The TV license funds the BBC which provides independent programming across radio, tv and web.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/licencefee/

I like having the BBC. It means no adverts, no product placement and a lot of good programmes.

Telmereth:
Yup. I don't mind paying it either, but it is controversial nonetheless!

Twik:
In Canada, we have the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. It's kind of like the BBC (except that it's pathetically bad for everything except sports), in that it is a not-for-profit enterprise. However, it is supported by taxpayers directly. By the TV license, the BBC is supposedly supported mostly by people who actually watch it.

If all I had to watch was the CBC, I'd certainly not bother buying a TV.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version