Author Topic: The Care Package... and "the line".  (Read 19008 times)

TorreyGlory

The Care Package... and "the line".
« on: October 02, 2007, 01:46:02 AM »
I was talking to some friends of mine the other day, and one of them mentioned that she'd met a fellow expatriate who was going through a bout of homesickness.  She was so touched by his plight that she wanted to send him a care package and wondered what to put in it.  The rest of us put forward some suggestions - mainly "goodies" like candy and cookies.

Suddenly, another friend announced out of the blue, "Seriously, you guys must eat a lot of garbage."

I said, "That's an interesting assumption.  We're talking about a care package, not a healthy meal!" 

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: The Care Package... and "the line".
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:36:05 AM »
Perfect!!!

And I really can't see how sending goodies in a care package automatically equates to "I eat a lot of junk."

wellisawstar

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:55:39 AM »
Perfect!!!

And I really can't see how sending goodies in a care package automatically equates to "I eat a lot of junk."

Yeah! It's not like you're sending the care package because it's the only food your friend can eat! I'm sure that person will eat it in moderation.

RubySlippers

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:08:13 AM »
A care package would be for the foods that a person really misses.  Nobody misses vegetables.  They miss the fun stuff.  Cadbury chocolate would help a homesick
Brit more than anything healthy.

Shortcake

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:54:17 AM »
A care package would be for the foods that a person really misses.  Nobody misses vegetables.  They miss the fun stuff.  Cadbury chocolate would help a homesick
Brit more than anything healthy.

ITA, That is the whole point of a care package!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 08:59:39 AM »
Exactly, If someone sent me a care package full of vegetables, wheat bread and vitimins, I would assume they were implying something anyway! Being homesick means you need comfort food!

"I hear your homesick! nothing cures that like some broccoli! eat up!"

RubySlippers

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 10:05:02 AM »
My boss's son was at University overseas.  He asked for a care package and specifically requested Kraft Dinner.  Comfort food for Canadians.  All the Cannucks got together and had a feast while the other students looked on in horrified amazement.

livluvlaf

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 12:29:17 PM »
 care package would be for the foods that a person really misses.

yes - and it should include sending anything typically Canadian. Whether a TH coffee cup, Canadian Plaid underwear, Molson's beer opener .... maple syprup ofcourse. Weird collection of stuff only a Canadian would appreciate!

Very thoughtful of you to organize it, funny friend who eats such a bland, boring diet!

MyFamily

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 05:11:31 PM »
Growing up, the only lettuce we ever ate was iceburg lettuce - nothing else, just iceberg (so I didn't know better).   I went to Russia one summer, and came back and the first thing I wanted was iceberg lettuce.  I'd never had the other lettuces before, and while they were good, it wasn't what I was used to - so, yeah, vegetables could be a good part of a care package, for us weirdos!   ;D

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Shea

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 07:37:04 PM »
When I was in France, I wanted peanut butter soooo much, but it's almost impossible to find, and when you do it's a teeny little jar of Skippy for about 10 euros. I got a care package with a jar of peanut butter in it, and it was great! If you want to disgust a French person, eat a PB&J around him. They feel about PB&J the same way we Americans feel about Marmite ;D.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Bluenomi

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 07:48:27 PM »
We Aussies need vegemite. You can get it in the UK but anywhere else is difficult. Marmite isn't the same though close, it's way too sweet. When my parents lived in the UK I had to send them violet crumbles and chicken twisties, they missed them  :D Mmmm violet crumbles....

Shea

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 07:52:53 PM »
We Aussies need vegemite. You can get it in the UK but anywhere else is difficult. Marmite isn't the same though close, it's way too sweet. When my parents lived in the UK I had to send them violet crumbles and chicken twisties, they missed them  :D Mmmm violet crumbles....

What are violet crumbles and chicken twisties? I'm getting an image of chickens tied up in knots...

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Ginger

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 07:57:17 PM »
And would somebody please explain Marmite and Vegemite?

Ginger

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 09:42:21 PM »
This is gonna sound really bad, but us Aussies love it: Vegemite is a yeast extract, originally the left-overs from brewing beer.  It is full of Vitamin B12, very very very salty and definitely an acquired taste.  Marmite is (I think) the UK Version, which is sweeter and IMO not as nice (!)  They are both spreads, used mainly on toast and bread, although my brother puts it on Weetbix.  I usually have it on toast with cheese.

Chicken twisties are a snack food (they also come in cheese flavour).  They are vaguely similar in material to Cheetos, but are all long and twisty (hence the name ;)).

Violet Crumble is a brand name of candy bar - it is a long piece of honeycomb covered in chocolate.  Yes, it tastes twice as good as it sounds! ;D

Now I need snacks!

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Gyburc

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 08:32:56 AM »
Just to add - Marmite is a food that polarises people here in the UK; quite literally, I only know people who love it (my father and my DH for example) or who completely loathe it (me and my mother). I don't think I have ever met anyone who can take it or leave it.

The smell is just as distinctive as the taste, and completely indescribable. My colleague at work brought in a Marmite bagel for lunch the other day and I had to breathe through my mouth and open the window for quite some time.

Ooops... I mentioned the 'b' word...  :)

Gyburc
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you