Author Topic: The Care Package... and "the line".  (Read 18895 times)

Bluenomi

Re: The Care Package... and "the line".
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 12:18:49 AM »
Violet crumbles have hard, dense honeycomb, crunchies have less dense, darker coloured stuff. Both are good, depends on my mood which I have.

No Aero bars in Canada? That sucks, I love those. But I have discovered chocolate in not the same the world over. Plain cadbury dairy milk is terrible in the UK, nowhere near as nice as the Aussie stuff  :'(

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 12:25:54 AM »
My cousins live in the states (moved there a couple of years ago) and there are certain things they just can't get there that Canada has. Particularly licorice pipes and Aero bars!

*blink*  where in the states do they live?  I love licorice pipes and DH adores Aero bars, both we get locally in PA.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 12:59:00 AM »
Violet crumbles have hard, dense honeycomb, crunchies have less dense, darker coloured stuff. Both are good, depends on my mood which I have.

No Aero bars in Canada? That sucks, I love those. But I have discovered chocolate in not the same the world over. Plain cadbury dairy milk is terrible in the UK, nowhere near as nice as the Aussie stuff  :'(

Chocolate is definitely not the same the world over. Give me Belgian or German chocolate any day over U.S. chocolate.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2007, 01:01:07 AM »
Chocolate is definitely not the same the world over. Give me Belgian or German chocolate any day over U.S. chocolate.

I have a block of dark Belgian hidden away that I nibble at now and then when I'm stressed.  And no one else in this house dares touch it. 

I married into a family where most members either have worked for or are still working for Hershey (DH excluded).  They don't get why I don't love it as much as they do!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007, 01:40:01 AM »

I have a block of dark Belgian hidden away that I nibble at now and then when I'm stressed.  And no one else in this house dares touch it. 

I married into a family where most members either have worked for or are still working for Hershey (DH excluded).  They don't get why I don't love it as much as they do!

I have a similar stash, and I too nibble when feeling stressed. I also take a piece when I climb into a bubble bath. Good chocolate, good wine, and aromatherapy can do so much. :)

LyanneB1

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2007, 10:47:59 AM »
Yep, I prefer Crunchie's too! I went looking for one after reading this but there weren't any inthe vendng machine...  :(

I've also heard that Marmite can be dissolved in boiling water for a hot drink (like Bovril) - BLECH! I love Marmite but NO WAY.  :-X

Ooh, Marmite drink's lovely when you're ill & can't cope with the thought of preparing proper food.  but, as the adverts say 'love it or hate it' (though showing my age, to me it's 'the growing up spread'). 

Why were you trying to eat Crunchies today?  Don't you know you have to have them on Fridays so you can say 'Thank Crunchie it's Friday'?

Fee

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 06:47:09 PM »

Violet crumble honeycomb tends to be very dense, whereas Crunchie is airier (?).  I prefer the Crunchie!

Clearbrite - thanks for the crumpet reference; now I need some!!
 :)

I was going to say the same thing about violet crumbles, one of my all time favourite...

But for the Aussies on the board you are missing one of Australias finest, which I miss most when I go overseas... Tim Tams!!!  They never go amiss in a care package (more often than not you dont get to eat them all cos everyone else is asking if they can have one)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 07:09:09 PM »

For some crazy reason, KitKat bars are better in the UK/Ireland than they are in the US.  M&Ms are also apparently very different, but I stopped noticing after awhile (I was in Ireland for one semester a few years ago, and my sister said that the M&Ms I bought in Germany tasted weird).

The two things that I wanted when I was away from home in a foreign country were diet Dr Pepper and Tex-Mex.  Neither of those would be considered terribly healthy if that's all you ate.

Actually, even though I'm in the US and can buy diet Dr Pepper, I still can't get Tex-Mex and I miss it. :'(

Bluenomi

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 07:23:46 PM »

I was going to say the same thing about violet crumbles, one of my all time favourite...

But for the Aussies on the board you are missing one of Australias finest, which I miss most when I go overseas... Tim Tams!!!  They never go amiss in a care package (more often than not you dont get to eat them all cos everyone else is asking if they can have one)
[/quote]

Mmmm tim tams. The orange ones they had recently were fantastic! My H2B and I were so upset when they stopped making them, they were soooo tasty  :'( The British peguins are close but made with crappy cheap chocolate, just not as good.

I love peanut butter m&ms, I make anyone visiting the US get me a big bag. You can get them in Oz but they are hard to find and oh so pricey.

Man, now I'm hungry!

freakyfemme

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2007, 08:26:10 PM »

Actually, there are Aero bars in Canada.  They come in milk chocolate, dark chocolate (my favourite), mint, and I think they even had vanilla-flavoured Aeros and orange-flavoured Aeros for a while.  Oh, and there's also Aero Chunky, with or without caramel, and Aero 100 Calorie Singles in either milk or dark chocolate, for the calorie-conscious set. 

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2007, 08:41:44 PM »

[/quote]

Very good point!! Tim Tams are the best, esp in a care package.  Jennifer Love Hewitt now gets some shipped to her in the US, as she had them whilst she was visiting Oz, and got hooked!

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

ninja710

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 01:38:16 PM »
My boss's son was at University overseas.  He asked for a care package and specifically requested Kraft Dinner.  Comfort food for Canadians.  All the Cannucks got together and had a feast while the other students looked on in horrified amazement.

LOL - American friends in China requested Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and granola bars as they needed some comfort food.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »
A care package would be for the foods that a person really misses.  Nobody misses vegetables.  They miss the fun stuff.  Cadbury chocolate would help a homesick
Brit more than anything healthy.
Or crumpets! or blackpool milk roll bread...mmmmm  ;D

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 01:43:08 PM »
This is gonna sound really bad, but us Aussies love it: Vegemite is a yeast extract, originally the left-overs from brewing beer.  It is full of Vitamin B12, very very very salty and definitely an acquired taste.  Marmite is (I think) the UK Version, which is sweeter and IMO not as nice (!)  They are both spreads, used mainly on toast and bread, although my brother puts it on Weetbix.  I usually have it on toast with cheese.

Chicken twisties are a snack food (they also come in cheese flavour).  They are vaguely similar in material to Cheetos, but are all long and twisty (hence the name ;)).

Violet Crumble is a brand name of candy bar - it is a long piece of honeycomb covered in chocolate.  Yes, it tastes twice as good as it sounds! ;D

Now I need snacks!
A violet crumble sounds just like a crunchie (UK)

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 09:22:07 PM »
This is gonna sound really bad, but us Aussies love it: Vegemite is a yeast extract, originally the left-overs from brewing beer.  It is full of Vitamin B12, very very very salty and definitely an acquired taste.  Marmite is (I think) the UK Version, which is sweeter and IMO not as nice (!)  They are both spreads, used mainly on toast and bread, although my brother puts it on Weetbix.  I usually have it on toast with cheese.

Chicken twisties are a snack food (they also come in cheese flavour).  They are vaguely similar in material to Cheetos, but are all long and twisty (hence the name ;)).

Violet Crumble is a brand name of candy bar - it is a long piece of honeycomb covered in chocolate.  Yes, it tastes twice as good as it sounds! ;D

Now I need snacks!
A violet crumble sounds just like a crunchie (UK)

Yeah, similar.  We have both here in Australia, so we are doubly blessed! ;D

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)