Author Topic: The Care Package... and "the line".  (Read 19005 times)

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
Re: The Care Package... and "the line".
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2007, 09:55:20 PM »

These unreasonable rules (as opposed to reasonable rules for safety) create problems.  For awhile they wouldn't let you take a lighter on the plane, so they confiscated thousands of lighters.  Get enough lighters in one place & you have a hazardous waste disposal problem.  I thought they should put the bin full of confiscated lighters next to the route off the plane so the smokers could pick up a lighter since they all had to surrender theirs before they got on the plane.

My mum's school was given a large number of confiscated scissors at that time...
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

Ginger

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2007, 10:14:34 PM »
Thank you to those who described Vegemite and Marmite. There are a few British restaurants in downtown Santa Monica, CA. and I wonder if I could find either of these spreads there. Have to try next time I go to the Farmer's market.

Thanks for the information.

Ginger

Layla

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2007, 03:55:55 AM »
Violet Crumble is pretty easy to make at home, actually - there's a recipe here - (about halfway down the page) http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/28/1067233231680.html?from=storyrhs.
You can use golden syrup (not sure what it's called in other countries) to make it more like a "Crunchie" flavour, if you prefer.

By the way, this is one Aussie who does not like Vegemite - too salty! I prefer Promite (which is more like Marmite). Tim Tams are the food of the gods though (even the Chili Chocolate ones!)

Pferd

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2007, 11:09:18 AM »
Hmm. I remember an exchange student from Australia being disgusted about me eating peanut butter out of the jar. : P

We also had a Swiss exchange student stay at my house.  She pulls a can of Mugs Root Beer out of the fridge and goes "Is this Moogs real beer?"
She gave my family some chocolate and it was the absolute best.  Can't remember the name - it was in a tan package.
She was addicted to those Ramen noodle packages - chicken flavored.  Got me addicted - thank goodness they're only 32 cents or my college budget would never afford it. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coollead/354658751/  That's what they looked like, not sure of the brand.

Has anyone heard of Sun Drop?  Delicious yellow soda, better than Mt. Dew in my opinion.  I can't find it anywhere around here.

Lysistrata

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2007, 03:52:05 PM »
Has anyone heard of Sun Drop?  Delicious yellow soda, better than Mt. Dew in my opinion.  I can't find it anywhere around here.

;D ;D ;D
I'm drinking it right now, as a matter of fact! As far as I know, it's extremely regional, and I've only ever seen it in North & South Carolina, and even then not everywhere in those states.

It is truly the nectar of the gods. My parents used to tease me for wanting to drink it with breakfast instead of orange juice- but, hey, it's got a lot of citric acid, and orange juice concentrate! That's practically the same thing! I'm kinda biased though, being seriously addicted to the stuff.

You're right, it is better than Mt. Dew. I can drink Dew if I'm out of Sun Drop, but it's not the same, and both Dew & Mello Yellow taste watered-down after being introduced to Drop. I'm very sad to think that when DH gets reassigned to California next year (he's active duty Air Force) we won't be able to get it out there...I'm still trying to convince my family and friends to mail me some every week once we're there.  :)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2007, 03:54:28 PM »

;D ;D ;D
I'm drinking it right now, as a matter of fact! As far as I know, it's extremely regional, and I've only ever seen it in North & South Carolina, and even then not everywhere in those states.

It is truly the nectar of the gods. My parents used to tease me for wanting to drink it with breakfast instead of orange juice- but, hey, it's got a lot of citric acid, and orange juice concentrate! That's practically the same thing! I'm kinda biased though, being seriously addicted to the stuff.

You're right, it is better than Mt. Dew. I can drink Dew if I'm out of Sun Drop, but it's not the same, and both Dew & Mello Yellow taste watered-down after being introduced to Drop. I'm very sad to think that when DH gets reassigned to California next year (he's active duty Air Force) we won't be able to get it out there...I'm still trying to convince my family and friends to mail me some every week once we're there.  :)

My father LOVES Sun Drop. If he's traveling and sees it somewhere, he buys it and brings it home.

Pferd

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2007, 07:35:52 PM »
Ahh, I thought I was alone!  There are only three towns in the state that I have been able to find it.  Luckily, one is mine!  Gonna get some when I go home for the weekend.

waterwren

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2007, 10:32:31 PM »
My cousins live in the states (moved there a couple of years ago) and there are certain things they just can't get there that Canada has. Particularly licorice pipes and Aero bars!

Seriously? No Aero bars? I thought most chocolates were universal in the Western world.  Bitterly disillusioned  :P

Some places here in Buffalo have them, others don't. Some of the convenience stores have Aeros, Coffee, crisps and other Canadian Goodness.

Browyn

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2007, 11:15:45 AM »
My cousins live in the states (moved there a couple of years ago) and there are certain things they just can't get there that Canada has. Particularly licorice pipes and Aero bars!

*blink*  where in the states do they live?  I love licorice pipes and DH adores Aero bars, both we get locally in PA.

I love Aero bars, they sell them in the grocery store here in Massachusetts also, but in the "foreign" food aisle.  When I was little (I am 43) they were common, but not anymore.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2007, 01:19:31 PM »

*blink*  where in the states do they live?  I love licorice pipes and DH adores Aero bars, both we get locally in PA.

I love Aero bars, they sell them in the grocery store here in Massachusetts also, but in the "foreign" food aisle.  When I was little (I am 43) they were common, but not anymore.

Hehe, i think that it's really funny that aero bars are in the foreign food aisle  ;D I'm from England, I just can't imagine aero's being foreign. Although, I must say, you don't see much of the orange flavoured aeros anymore  :(

shiksagoddess

• Stop me before I volunteer again!
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2007, 12:30:53 PM »
My daughter spent three weeks at Cambridge in the U.K. this summer ... when she got home the only thing she wanted was mashed potatoes.  She said she couldn't get them; every time she tried to explain she was met with blank looks.

So off to Old County Buffet we went - she wallowed in mashed potatoes!  ;)

The Shiksagoddess

shadowfox79

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2007, 03:23:15 PM »
My daughter spent three weeks at Cambridge in the U.K. this summer ... when she got home the only thing she wanted was mashed potatoes.  She said she couldn't get them; every time she tried to explain she was met with blank looks.

So off to Old County Buffet we went - she wallowed in mashed potatoes!  ;)

The Shiksagoddess

Are mashed potatoes somehow different outside the UK? I have absolutely no idea why she wouldn't be able to get them over here. I do mash all the time.

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2007, 06:36:12 PM »
No, you are not.  Live plants, including parts of plants, can carry pests that could devestate crops in another country, i.e. Mediteranian fruit flies.  You aren't even supposed to carry fruit off of the airplane.

These unreasonable rules (as opposed to reasonable rules for safety) create problems. 

Not to single you out, but:

Unreasonable is in the eye of the beholder - I personally don't think that anyone could seriously hijack a plane with a nail file, but they're still confiscated. Trying not to be political here, but - I also get annoyed when rules are adopted in my country because of *one* incident (a rare one)  somewhere else in the world.

But the thing is - caryying in fruit and vege from another country has the potential to destroy the agricultural industry - and hence the economic health - of an island nation like mine. It's not unreasonable and we do take it very serious... because it has very serious consequences. Hilary Swank, take note  :-\

On a lighter note - I'm surprised that Marmite has less salt than vegemite, it (marmite) tastes extremely strong to me. Apart from when I was pregnant I don't like peanut butter, though *ducks*

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2007, 07:35:09 PM »
No, you are not.  Live plants, including parts of plants, can carry pests that could devestate crops in another country, i.e. Mediteranian fruit flies.  You aren't even supposed to carry fruit off of the airplane.

These unreasonable rules (as opposed to reasonable rules for safety) create problems. 

Not to single you out, but:

Unreasonable is in the eye of the beholder - I personally don't think that anyone could seriously hijack a plane with a nail file, but they're still confiscated. Trying not to be political here, but - I also get annoyed when rules are adopted in my country because of *one* incident (a rare one)  somewhere else in the world.

But the thing is - caryying in fruit and vege from another country has the potential to destroy the agricultural industry - and hence the economic health - of an island nation like mine. It's not unreasonable and we do take it very serious... because it has very serious consequences. Hilary Swank, take note  :-\

Don't quote me out of context, then turn around & use my quotes to support your agenda!  If you look at the entirety of what I wrote regarding carrying fruit onto a plane in order to eat it on the plane, not to carry it from one country to another, you will see I did not say prohibitions against carrying fruit and vegetables from country to country were "unreasonable."  What I said was:

"These days you aren't even allowed to carry fruit on the plane.  Even if you plan to eat it before you land.  It's a bummer for those of us who prefer to pack our own food instead of paying for crappy airline food and enjoy fresh fruit and vegetables.

I checked with the agricultural screeners on my way back through the airport (having arrived home) to see what they do with all the fruit they confiscate.  I asked if I could have some of the apples for my horse.  They said their rules require them to throw it all away.  All that perfectly good fruit!"

At the end, I am saying it is unreasonable for them to throw away perfectly good fruit, not unreasonable to prevent it from potentially infecting another country with insect pests.

Another "unreasonable" rule we encountered the last time we flew:  My husband is addicted to Diet Coke.  He only drinks Diet Coke & his medications give him dry mouth, so he needs to have Diet Coke handy at all times.  We carry cans (sealed) of Diet Coke with us everywhere.  The TSA screener took 3 unopened cans of Diet Coke from our backpack.  He let me keep the small bottles of rum I put in a ziplock baggy, which drove DH crazy!  Twenty feet from where we stood as the screener stole our Coke was a concession selling identical cans of Diet Coke for $2 each.  What a rip off!  I think it is entirely unreasonable to steal sealed cans and force travelers to pay outrageous amounts to replace the stolen items.  I think it is not making it safer to travel, but it sure is making more money for the airport concessions! ::)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2007, 11:34:39 PM »
Lived in Australia for a year.  I like Vegemite but not Pavlova.  Some Aussies just didn't understand how this could be - had never met someone who didn't fit their stereotypes.

I also didn't fall for the drop bear thing.  ;D