Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

Misused and abused: Was it really an assumption?

(1/8) > >>

FoxPaws:
In the past couple of days, I've seen at least two threads where someone used "the line" simply because they disagreed with something a previous poster said.

There is a difference between an assumption and an opinion.

TAIA is one of the great comeback lines of all time, but it doesn't apply to all circumstances. Using it inappropriately reduces it to a quick, sitcom "zinger" and dilutes it's overall effect. This is especially true on a forum where there is time and space to politely clarify, debate, and express oneself.

Of course, this is just my humble.......opinion.  :)

wellisawstar:
I was just about to post a thread about this. I've found a few instances like the ones you've described. The use of TAIA seems..well..a little backhanded on this forum when it's not used for etiquette.

JordanX:
It happened to me, and I came over here to mention how this statement can be misused and found this thread. 

An OP asked if they were overreacting to something and I replied that my opinion was that they were being a bit "rigid" and therefore, yes, IMO, overreacting.  I got a miffed response that started with TAIA.

In that context, the TAIA came across as pretty snarky/rude.  First of all, an opinion that has been asked for is not an inappropriate assumption that needs shutting down.  And that's what TAIA is for, right?  Shutting down someone who has stated something (a) unsolicited (b) inappropriate and (c) rude.  IMO, I hadn't done anything like that.                                                                     

sasha:

--- Quote from: KewpieDoll72 on October 02, 2007, 07:18:39 AM ---In the past couple of days, I've seen at least two threads where someone used "the line" simply because they disagreed with something a previous poster said.

--- End quote ---

Totally agree. Used when someone hasn't made an assumption smacks of passive-agression and superiority, IMO.

Sasha

stargazer:

--- Quote from: sasha on October 02, 2007, 12:53:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: KewpieDoll72 on October 02, 2007, 07:18:39 AM ---In the past couple of days, I've seen at least two threads where someone used "the line" simply because they disagreed with something a previous poster said.

--- End quote ---

Totally agree. Used when someone hasn't made an assumption smacks of passive-agression and superiority, IMO.

Sasha

--- End quote ---

ITA.  You said what I was thinking a lot better than I could have.  This phrase is starting to grate on me a bit just for that reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version