Author Topic: Advice needed re: vegetarian sources of iron  (Read 2950 times)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Advice needed re: vegetarian sources of iron
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 06:06:10 AM »
My elder boy doesn't eat much meat either- I think that he has had problems chewing it when he was younger because he had tongue tie, and that has put him off. He will eat sausages and fish- these are softer and easier to chew.

I don't have problems with giving children sausages myself, provided they have a high meat content. #

I'd suggest checking out the vegetarian section in your local supermarket- some of the soy sausages and burgers have gone down very well with mine.
NE England

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 01:08:11 PM »
Ow.

I know sausages are bad; unfortunately they're cheap and we're on a very tight budget. We don't have them a lot, because I *know* how awful - nutritionally - they are. I usually use mince (although that too is horribly fatty, but I do drain off what fat I can). I hope I don't sound snarky, I'm not trying to be, but that touched at my insecurities and actually made me cry! (I had no idea I was so sensitive on this...) Honestly, I feed my kids well; they have little processed food (just bread and ocassionally crackers) they eat a heck of a lot of fruit, and veges, cheese, raisins, and yogurt. They drink water and milk, they don't have junk food or sugary drinks (even juice is a treat, as advocated by the 'experts' in NZ). They have lollies, etc, rarely as treats and usually only at big events.

I have tried, and am still trying, other ways of serving meat (wraps were working well until she began pulling the meat out). I haven't stopped cooking it, or serving it in other ways, I was just worried about her health in the meantime (she's tiny and since she spent a couple of days in hospital last month for asthma I've been really anxious - probably more than I need to be). What I was after was hints on how to keep her healthy in the meantime, while I continue to try to get her to eat meat.

Also - she's not even 3 yet - but if she makes the decision to become a vegetarian (or forces it on herself by her continual refusal to eat meat) I'm happy to change the entire family to a - largely -vegetarian diet. It's just that I was raised by carnivores and the basis of my knowledge of basic nutrition contains meat... I just wanted some advice on how to do it the other way.

Oh boy I'm sorry. I think you (unintentionally) hit a nerve I didn't know I had...

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 01:12:06 PM »
My elder boy doesn't eat much meat either- I think that he has had problems chewing it when he was younger because he had tongue tie, and that has put him off. He will eat sausages and fish- these are softer and easier to chew.

I don't have problems with giving children sausages myself, provided they have a high meat content. #

I'd suggest checking out the vegetarian section in your local supermarket- some of the soy sausages and burgers have gone down very well with mine.

Thanks, I'll try that. Do they work for your boy because they're softer than usual meat? (I do wonder of the texture/'stiffness' may be part of DD's problem, too).

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 01:37:20 PM »
Ow.

I know sausages are bad; unfortunately they're cheap and we're on a very tight budget. We don't have them a lot, because I *know* how awful - nutritionally - they are. I usually use mince (although that too is horribly fatty, but I do drain off what fat I can). I hope I don't sound snarky, I'm not trying to be, but that touched at my insecurities and actually made me cry! (I had no idea I was so sensitive on this...) Honestly, I feed my kids well; they have little processed food (just bread and ocassionally crackers) they eat a heck of a lot of fruit, and veges, cheese, raisins, and yogurt. They drink water and milk, they don't have junk food or sugary drinks (even juice is a treat, as advocated by the 'experts' in NZ). They have lollies, etc, rarely as treats and usually only at big events.

I have tried, and am still trying, other ways of serving meat (wraps were working well until she began pulling the meat out). I haven't stopped cooking it, or serving it in other ways, I was just worried about her health in the meantime (she's tiny and since she spent a couple of days in hospital last month for asthma I've been really anxious - probably more than I need to be). What I was after was hints on how to keep her healthy in the meantime, while I continue to try to get her to eat meat.

Also - she's not even 3 yet - but if she makes the decision to become a vegetarian (or forces it on herself by her continual refusal to eat meat) I'm happy to change the entire family to a - largely -vegetarian diet. It's just that I was raised by carnivores and the basis of my knowledge of basic nutrition contains meat... I just wanted some advice on how to do it the other way.

Oh boy I'm sorry. I think you (unintentionally) hit a nerve I didn't know I had...

oh dear. i am sorry - i really had no intention of hurting you. I was trying to be helpful and I am sorry if what I said insulted you.

Please let me know if i can help in any way. I am pretty much a vegetarian and I am supporting myself on a non-existent budget - I buy very very very little processed foods, very little flesh foods (meat/chicken/fish) and mostly cook from scratch.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 01:47:21 PM »
No, it's ok, I'm sorry I reacted that way. I know you weren't being hurtful or insulting; it just touched a well of insecurity in me that I didn't know existed!  :-[

Can you reccomend any good vegetarian books for a beginner on a budget who isn't sure of how to balance the nutritional needs? I have no objection to going vege (although I may retain the of piece of meat for myself)? I do have a vegetarian cookbook but it doesn't go too far into that side of things.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 01:54:51 PM »
Ok, as long as we understand each other. It's hard being a parent ---- and you know you are a good parent, because otherwise you wouldn't be here asking questions!

I don't really know of any good books ----- maybe your local library would have something useful. or try a website - i usually try the US government web sites (I don't live in the US but I find their sites useful).

I also wanted to say that my son (he is 21) used to eat tons of the processed vegetarian patties but i stopped that. they are expensive and I really think they are not healthy. (read the labels! they have a high  fat content ). so I started making my own - very cheap and he likes them (he is also quite picky). I just cook red lentils with other vegs till it all gets mushy. if you want i can give you the recipe. I also make a 'fake meat loaf' with mushrooms and nuts.

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 02:07:30 PM »
Thank you - I'd love the recipe!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »
Hillbilly Housewife has a couple of weekly menus (with recipes) for households on a tight budget:

http://hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm
http://hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm

They're not specifically vegetarian, but they are fairly low in meat.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 02:26:55 PM »
vegetarian patties /loaf
===================
please bear in mind that i am a 'little bit of this, little bit of that' type of cook.

take one cup of red lentils, pick over, wash, and let them soak while you prepare the rest of the recipe.

meanwhile: fry one onion in a small amount of oil (i grate the onion bec some people are such babies about onions...)
if your dd likes other vegetables you can add them to the onion (celery, mushroom, carrot).
let them fry for about 10 minutes, stirring occassionally, on med. flame. then add 2 cups of water, spices (black pepper, garlic, cumin, but no salt) and bring to a boil. add the lentils plus one grated sweet potato. bring to second boil , lower flame, and then cover and let it cook till most of the water is absorbed (takes about 20-30 minutes). the mixture will turn a brownish-orange color. let it cool, then add some bread crumbs. at this point i usually refrigerate till the next day. the mixture should be stiff.

for patties: beat one egg in one bowl. pour about 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and 1/2 cup of cornmeal into another bowl (or just cornmeal or just bread crumbs). make patties, dip in egg then bread crumbs and then fry or bake on oiled pan till golden. you can freeze these.

for loaf: add one egg to mixture and turn into oiled bread pan, sprinkle cornmeal on top (optional), and  bake for about 40 -60 minutes till golden. slice. can also be frozen.

mushroom loaf
=============
finely chop the following veg:
1-2 onions, 1/4- 1/2 kilo of mushrooms, 2-3 celery stalks, 1-2 carrots. heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add the veg, cook for about 10 minutes, stirring. let cool. add 2 eggs, and about 1 cup of finely chopped almonds (you should check with your doctor if it's ok to give your child nuts - in israel we can buy very finely chopped nuts that are like flour). add salt, pepper, bread crumbs. pour into greased pan and bake. freezes well. can serve hot or cold.

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 02:37:08 PM »
Yum, they sound great! I might give the patties a go for dinner tonight.

Thanks!

Lady Vavasour

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 03:24:47 PM »
Alison and Simon Holst's Very Easy Vegetarian is fantastic. I use recipes from this a lot.