Author Topic: Kitchen Tips  (Read 4844 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: Kitchen Tips
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 07:42:16 PM »
Use food-release cooking spray on the icky sticky that's left behind when taking off price stickers.

Working smooth peanut butter into the problem area is great to use if your(general) kids get chewing gum stuck in their hair.

Redhead

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 08:11:05 PM »
tooth whitening toothpaste is great for getting stains off plastic chopping boards and kitchen benches (eg curry stains)

put a little on - leave for 5-10 mins and wash off.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 08:17:55 PM »
Use your aforementioned medicine syringe for making tiny details in cake decorations (eyes, writing, etc).

Elle

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 01:07:39 PM »
Use gloves when chopping hot peppers. It's worth it.

Always make sure your knives are sharp. (I run mine over the sharpening iron after I wash them)

Don't shop at a grocery store where the seafood guy thinks you're weird for wanting to smell the fish.

Don't buy the fish that smells fishy

Don't like chopping garlic? Don't have a mortar and pestle? Put peeled cloves in a baggie and smash them with your skillet

Don't use a garlic press

Keep flour in an airtight plastic container. It will keep out flour moths and you can 'sift' it by giving it a good shake.

And courtesy of AB: Minimize the uni-taskers in your kitchen. Buy utensils that have multiple uses. (ie: Use a knife instead of a special stainless steel block to get smells off your hands, an ice cream scoop can portion batter but one of those ice cream spades can't)

champoo

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 01:22:38 PM »
I use a tiny bit of car wax on my stove, which just makes for really quick cleanups (especially for messy dishes).  Do a smell test tho, some are less pungent then others.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 02:36:07 PM »
I use a tiny bit of car wax on my stove, which just makes for really quick cleanups (especially for messy dishes).  Do a smell test tho, some are less pungent then others.

It doesn't catch fire?

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 02:39:08 PM »

I'm gonna remember that one the next time I make stuffed jalepenos...  I never fail to get an itch by my eyes or my nose and it take forever for the oils to come off your fingers no matter how many times you wash your hands.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Elle

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 02:45:13 PM »

I'm gonna remember that one the next time I make stuffed jalepenos...  I never fail to get an itch by my eyes or my nose and it take forever for the oils to come off your fingers no matter how many times you wash your hands.

Yeeeeah, I got Jalepeno juice in my eye once. And that stuff isn't water soluble. Fortunately I had a brilliant solution!

. . . . but putting soap in your eyes is just a *different* kind of pain.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 03:12:18 PM »
Whenever I take the time to make pancakes, while the griddle is hot, I make extra so I can freeze them in individual portions.  Perfect for those mornings when your kid wants pancakes, but you don't feel like making them.  One minute in the microwave and voila!

I do the same thing, but use the toaster instead. 

champoo

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 03:35:56 PM »

It doesn't catch fire?

No, I mean on the part around the elements not on the elements, like the enamel part (I don't think it would work on the newer stainless steals or flat stoves).

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 03:45:04 PM »

It doesn't catch fire?

No, I mean on the part around the elements not on the elements, like the enamel part (I don't think it would work on the newer stainless steals or flat stoves).

Dang, I was hoping. I have a stainless steel range top, and I can't keep it clean. Every 6 months or so I use oven cleaner and a metal pad and spend a whole day cleaning it off.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 03:50:44 PM »

It doesn't catch fire?

Dang, I was hoping. I have a stainless steel range top, and I can't keep it clean. Every 6 months or so I use oven cleaner and a metal pad and spend a whole day cleaning it off.

This must be why I'm having a hard time finding a stainless steel range with a stainless steel cooktop.  Almost all of them have black tops.  Maybe I should be looking for the black topped ones, if the stainless ones are so hard to keep clean.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 04:40:30 PM »
They are very hard to keep clean, mine ALWAYS looks dirty, even when I've just cleaned it. So I have just given up on trying to keep it spotless all the time, I bought some range covers and that helps hide it, then every few months I pull off the range (My stove has different attachments griddle, grill, etc) and use oven cleaner on them. That usually works well and easily, but that's the only way I can get it clean.

Issa

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 04:54:52 PM »
Here is my tip: To keep stuff from getting into containers of flour, rice, lentils etc. put a dried red chili at the bottom of the container.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 05:03:46 PM »
Here is my tip: To keep stuff from getting into containers of flour, rice, lentils etc. put a dried red chili at the bottom of the container.
As in IN the container, or under it?