Author Topic: Kitchen Tips  (Read 4754 times)

Issa

Re: Kitchen Tips
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »
Here is my tip: To keep stuff from getting into containers of flour, rice, lentils etc. put a dried red chili at the bottom of the container.
As in IN the container, or under it?

Inside the container. It doesn't affect the food inside, as in make it spicier, but it keeps ants etc. from getting to it. Keep in mind, this is a traditional technique that's been passed down in my family, but so far it's worked for us :)

Elle

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 05:20:59 PM »
Here is my tip: To keep stuff from getting into containers of flour, rice, lentils etc. put a dried red chili at the bottom of the container.
As in IN the container, or under it?

Inside the container. It doesn't affect the food inside, as in make it spicier, but it keeps ants etc. from getting to it. Keep in mind, this is a traditional technique that's been passed down in my family, but so far it's worked for us :)

Does it work against flour moth grubs too? I HATE those things.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
I keep my flour, sugar and brown sugar in air tight containers, but I *always* have extra in the refer in case my containers run out. Then when I use the stuff in the refer I buy more and I (almost) never run out.

I keep 2 sticks of butter in a small bowl in the cabinet (the other sticks stay in the freezer). This way when I need to bake something, I don't have to soften up the butter. It's ready to go!

(Can you tell I bake a lot)?  :D

Aside from my commonly used cooking utensils which are in a holder on the counter, all of my other cooking/baking untensil are in one drawer. That way I don't have to hunt all over the kitchen for them.

Elle, why do you say not to use a garlic press?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 06:54:35 PM »
Megswsu, how do you keep the butter in your cupboard from spoiling?

Elle

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »
I keep my flour, sugar and brown sugar in air tight containers, but I *always* have extra in the refer in case my containers run out. Then when I use the stuff in the refer I buy more and I (almost) never run out.

I keep 2 sticks of butter in a small bowl in the cabinet (the other sticks stay in the freezer). This way when I need to bake something, I don't have to soften up the butter. It's ready to go!

(Can you tell I bake a lot)?  :D

Aside from my commonly used cooking utensils which are in a holder on the counter, all of my other cooking/baking untensil are in one drawer. That way I don't have to hunt all over the kitchen for them.

Elle, why do you say not to use a garlic press?

It effects the taste of the garlic negatively. It seems to give the garlic a more bitter, less pleasant taste (IMO). Plus it's just easier to smash a few cloves with a skillet than it is to locate the press, peel the garlic, use the press, and clean the press.

By the way, the smaller you cut up the garlic the more 'garlicky' it tastes.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 08:04:59 PM »

Dang, I was hoping. I have a stainless steel range top, and I can't keep it clean. Every 6 months or so I use oven cleaner and a metal pad and spend a whole day cleaning it off.

Simple and cheap solution - sudsy ammonia and water.  Put it in a spray bottle about 1/3 ammonia, 2/3 water.  Shake, spray, wipe with damp cloth, wipe dry.  It cleaned my stainless steel coffee maker like a charm - no scratches either.  Use a clean microfiber to wipe/dry.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 11:15:22 PM »
Interesting about the garlic press. Thanks for the tips Elle! I'll keep them in mind, though I must admit I do love my garlic press and it's in an easy to find location.  ;)

Shoo.....to be honest, I didn't know butter could spoil. I just copied my mom who does the same thing. However I bake quite a bit so I've never noticed my butter being spoiled. I guess it doesn't get the chance to do so. (How does butter spoil anyway? How can you tell?).

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2007, 11:21:19 PM »
Interesting about the garlic press. Thanks for the tips Elle! I'll keep them in mind, though I must admit I do love my garlic press and it's in an easy to find location.  ;)

Shoo.....to be honest, I didn't know butter could spoil. I just copied my mom who does the same thing. However I bake quite a bit so I've never noticed my butter being spoiled. I guess it doesn't get the chance to do so. (How does butter spoil anyway? How can you tell?).

It can definitely spoil.  It gets a bad taste.  I think you're probably using it before it goes off.  I understand that keeping it in a sealed bowl, in the dark, can prolong its life.  Refrigeration is recommended to prevent spoilage, of course.  But I've also read that the spoiling process can take a while.

Elle

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2007, 11:47:02 PM »
As long as butter isn't exposed to air (ie, kept in a closed butter dish or in a wrapper) it can keep for a surprisingly long time. Most butter has salt in it to mask the taste of butter that's beginning to turn. With unsalted butter you notice the off taste much sooner.

edenparadox

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2007, 11:57:57 PM »
Salted butter honestly tastes vile to me. I get that it's a preservative but I just can't eat it. Ever.

Elle

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2007, 12:11:30 AM »
Yeah, I don't like it either.

megswsu

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 12:11:57 AM »
Yea, all I use is unsalted. I can't stand salted....that's all my mom will use. I'm slowly converting her.  >:D But I do keep it with the wrapper still tightly in place, though not in a sealed container. I might start doing that.

Interesting....I'm learning a lot today!  :) Thanks guys! There are some good tips in here.

champoo

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 04:35:34 PM »
I use a tiny bit of car wax on my stove, which just makes for really quick cleanups (especially for messy dishes).  Do a smell test tho, some are less pungent then others.

It doesn't catch fire?

Try it out on the inside edge of the oven door maybe.  I just haven't tried it myself, as I don't have a stainless stove.

No, I mean on the part around the elements not on the elements, like the enamel part (I don't think it would work on the newer stainless steals or flat stoves).

Dang, I was hoping. I have a stainless steel range top, and I can't keep it clean. Every 6 months or so I use oven cleaner and a metal pad and spend a whole day cleaning it off.

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 04:44:41 PM »
Not so much a tip but a request

In anyone watches Alton Brown,  do you have any idea how to create his electric drill/pepper grinder?  I want that thing so badly.

Another thing he does that i want is that he has cabinets lined with Velcro, then he has little metal canisters with Velcro for his spices so the tops are labels and you just stick and unstick them to store and use them  I love the idea, but i am not very ambitions about doing. . . well anything really.

And don't underestimated the value of vinegar.  My guy and i had to change out garbage disposal and due to hard water some of the pipes were a bit crusty and stuck.  My guy was about to just cut one with a screw, i took a tooth brush and vinegar to it and had it unscrewed within like two minutes :-) gotta love anything that helps you out muscle the guy at loosening things

Elle

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 04:47:32 PM »
I live for AB  ;D

Does everyone here know the two ways to get the lid of a jar if no one in the household has a Y chromosone?

1. Bang on the rim of the lid with a spoon (trying to break the seal a bit)
2. Insert the tip of the spoon underneath the lid like you're going to pry it off. Lever the lid away from the jar until you break the seal