Author Topic: in search of recipes and tips for cooking acorn squash  (Read 893 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
in search of recipes and tips for cooking acorn squash
« on: October 04, 2007, 07:41:17 AM »
I found some acorn squash in the market last week - it's not a local (Israeli) vegetable, and some growers are apprently growing different varieties now - we used to have only the yellow or green ones, now they have all kinds of interesting squash/pumpkin. anyway, i made it - and it really wasn't so good. I pierced it in a few places and zapped in the microwave for about 5 minutes. then let it cool, cut in half and scooped out the seeds. i made a stuffing of burghul  (a type of crushed wheat) with olive oil, cranberries, red onion, pomegranate syrup, lemon juice/peel, mint leaves, a handful of cashews,  salt, pepper, stuffed it, added about 1/2 cup of water mixed with olive oil and baked it.

not good.

the squash itself was stringy and very un-interesting. is this the way it should be?

the stuffing was fine (i make this as a salad on its own and i used to used it to stuff chicken) but the whole dish was dry.

any ideas? specifically vegetarian but no tofu please.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: in search of recipes and tips for cooking acorn squash
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 12:55:33 PM »
My mom used to simply scoop out the seeds, fill it with brown sugar and a bit of nutmeg. Dot the top with butter and put it in a baking dish with some plastic wrap on it and tossed it into the microwave for a few minutes until the flesh was tender and started to collaps. It made a really tasty side dish.

**Edit**

Forgot to add that I have found that this squash needs to have moist ingredients added to it. I think part of the problem may have been that the stuffing may have sucked all the natural moisture from the squash and that is why it was a bit dry and stringy even with the moisture you added. I have yet to find a main dish item that it was good in. It really is more of a side veg kind of squash. Mom used to always make sure to add either butter or some sort of liquid when she cooked it. It is one of her favorite fall ingredients so we had it a lot.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:01:04 PM by Wulfie »

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 01:22:58 PM »
I pierce mine, bake it in the oven (oil wiped) until the rind softens, and then cut and mash the squash with a little apple juice, butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 02:28:09 PM »
thanks wulfie and ladiedeathe.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 03:00:36 PM »
i buy butternut squash instead ;)

i microwave and mix with a little butter, salt, and some milk if it's dry.  that might work for the acorn squash too.

i like squash to be simple so i can taste it.  butternut squash is the best squash EVER.