News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 30, 2015, 01:03:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: really wishing I would have remembered to use this one, Mother's Day editition  (Read 2580 times)

Zizi-K

I was at a home improvement store with my DH on Sunday, buying some grass seed. He had to run to the restroom, so I went through the checkout line by myself. The clerk said, "Oh, you better get those kids to do this for you!" meaning, spread out the grass seed. I was so confused--there were no children near me that could even possibly be construed as mine. I said, "I'm sorry?" and she just repeated herself. I stayed silent because I was just trying to process why the heck anyone would say that and just assume that someone had children. Because it was Mother's Day???? So she just laughed and said, "Oh, I just assumed." All I could say was, "um, no." Then the transaction was over and I was on my way.

This, of course, happens just as I have just gone through a cycle of IVF and am suffering horribly from OHSS (a possible complication). I am also in the very early stages of pregnancy (but am not counting my chickens before they're hatched, or at least reach into the 2nd trimester), so I'm feeling out of this world hormonal.

Free Range Hippy Chick

Total blank incomprehension was probably the best answer you could give. I do sometimes want to say 'I'm sorry, I recognised all those words individually, but they made no sense at all in combination...'

Luci

• Super Hero!
Oh, I do so wish people would think before they speak.

More than once I have had someone say something that hit a very painful spot.

Mostly when I was having pregnancy issues, but the worst was "what are you doing for your mother this weekend?" before my first Mother's Day. "Um, sitting in the hospital watching her die. How about you?"

Best wishes for successful pregnancy! You have a lot of courage.

Lula

Even sitting here in the perfectly comfortable solitude of my living room, I'm at a loss for a response to that woman.

I felt the tiniest puff of steam come out of my ear when a cashier wished me "Happy Mother's Day!" yesterday.  I know it isn't really a rude or inappropriate thing to say to a stranger--after all, I do celebrate Mother's Day in honor of my mom and maternal figures.  But as I couldn't tell whether she meant a general "enjoy whatever you're doing on this extremely popular holiday you're statistically likely to be celebrating in some form or other," or whether she assumed I was a mother because of my gender and age, resentment was the first reaction my brain landed on.

But that was all on me, I suppose; Mother's Day can be a little complicated for me as I am a non-mom by both chance and choice.  The lady in the OP, by forthrightly assuming the OP has children--and can't or shouldn't sow grass seed by herself(!)--was just plain rude.

Ponydoc

That clerk show a complete lack of awareness.  I had a similar thing happen to me last year on Mother's day.  We took my MIL out for lunch and the waitress turned to me and said "I'm sure next year it will be your turn!".  This occurred when I was dealing with possibly being infertile.  I think I murmured a "um, urr".  Luckily like you I'm now in my 1st trimester.  I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

NFPwife

People can be so clueless and insensitive. I know you don't want to count your chickens, but... Congrats!

Total blank incomprehension was probably the best answer you could give. I do sometimes want to say 'I'm sorry, I recognised all those words individually, but they made no sense at all in combination...'

I like that response.

Erich L-ster

I think everybody has had a foot-in-mouth moment. Yeah the clerk shouldn't go assuming but it seems like she was trying friendly small talk and unintentionally said something stupid. It shows grace to not rub someone's nose in it.     

Zizi-K

I can't say whether I was graceful or not, I was just so confused in the moment. Then, when I understood what she was implying, I was just lost for words, especially given everything I've been going through to try and get pregnant.

I also just can't think of anything positive when someone implies that you just "look like you have kids" even though none are around. Does that mean I look fat, like my body looks like I've given birth; old, like I must have children by now; or tired, from raising up all those kids? How is it that parents look, exactly?

I do understand cutting people slack, but how is this person supposed to learn not to say stupid and hurtful things like that if everyone always reacted as though it were ok? I'm not sure why her face-saving is more important than my feelings--which I didn't even express because I was so bowled over at what a strange assumption it was.

The worst part was that she knew she was making an assumption that might very well not be the case. Why give voice to it??

Reader

I should have used it when I was asked by a cashier at a garden store "when are you due?", given I've been trying to gain weight due to being underweight for the past few years, and had finally managed to gain 10 lbs, maybe I gained too much lol? Probably had to do more with the loose fitting dress I was wearing.  Totally almost shocked me speechless, and all I could do was stammer out "I'm not" before turning beet red, but not as red as the cashier.  I can't imagine how I would have felt had I been in the OP's shoes.   :o

diesel_darlin

This is the first Mother's day since Ive had Facebook that I havent had a zillion posts to my wall wishing me happy Mother's day. I appreciate the sentiment, but Im not a Mother, and probably never will be. Like another poster said, by chance and by choice. Even though my mother bore 3 children, she was perfectly willing and capable of spreading her own grass seed. Some people just need to keep their trap shut.