Author Topic: Men usually don't garden  (Read 2773 times)

magicdomino

Re: Men usually don't garden
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »
Adrian Higgins, the Washington Post gardening columnist, would find this surprising.

I have to admit though, I never had many male neighbors who were interested in anything besides the lawn, and maybe a vegetable garden.  Flowers have tended to be planted by women.  Then again, this is a very small sample since there aren't many people in the neighborhood who are into gardening in general. 

doodlemor

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
Maybe her husband put this idea in her head because he is too lazy to do it?

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
Adrian Higgins, the Washington Post gardening columnist, would find this surprising.

I have to admit though, I never had many male neighbors who were interested in anything besides the lawn, and maybe a vegetable garden.  Flowers have tended to be planted by women.  Then again, this is a very small sample since there aren't many people in the neighborhood who are into gardening in general.
Yes, so would renowned gardening expert Jerry Baker. And the PNW's own wacky plant guy, Ciscoe Morris.

The yard was always my dad's domain. Of course, he wanted all grass and bark, while my mom wanted flowers...
maybe the neighbor in the OP pictures delicately misting the pwetty flowers as "gardening," instead of wielding big machines like mowers, weedwackers, edgers, chippers and hedge trimmers (not that women can't do this too).
Notice how many gardening commercials show a guy lording over the yard? And guys are always shown using the big tools and machines while the women are all kneeling and planting flowers? ::)

Obviously gardening is for whoever has the passion and knack for it.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

TeamBhakta

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
It's very common in my circle for men to post on Facebook "Here's pics of what I planted in my spring garden. Daisies, roses, squash, peppers, basil, etc. My sunflowers have grown pretty fast already. I used the basil when I baked bread last night."

*I'm really disappointed with the NY Times. They act surprised these men my age were interested in plants, saying you get interested in gardening when you qualify for Medicare Part B  ??? I also disliked the whole "look how nerdy they are, one didn't have many teenage dates" angle. So rude  :P
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/garden/botanys-new-boys.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:12:08 AM by TeamBhakta »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
My father was a very keen gardener.  For a while, a next door neighbor was a man from Southern Italy who was also a keen gardener.  Mr. X spoke very little English.  Apart from 'zucchini' Dad was totally ignorant of Italian but they seemed to understand each other perfectly. 

Well, the two of them got together and had a little fun with an apple tree that bordered their properties. By the time they finished, that tree was bearing three different types of apple.  Everybody who visited either house had to be shown that miraculous tree.

At another time, Dad unearthed an old rattan tea cart.  He filled it with some of his best potted plants and parked it on the side lawn.  Every evening he wheeled it into the garage and every morning wheeled it back out.  When asked why he did this, he said that he wanted to show off his handiwork to cars driving down the street. 

Oh, men can be very interested in gardening. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 02:02:38 PM »
Me?  I'm known as the plant assassin.  I once killed a cactus by underwatering it.  :-[

I'll do you one better.

I am the plant torturer. I neglect them until they're on the brink of death. Then I get concerned and water them enough to revive them. Then I neglect them again...

English1

« Reply #21 on: Today at 10:51:44 AM »
In the UK gardens are more often the man's thing - at least, in the past and with 'traditional' couples.

It's not exactly set in stone though. I can't imagine anyone finding it odd for either a man or a woman to do gardening.

I think the person in the story is a little odd.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #22 on: Today at 01:36:37 PM »
In the UK gardens are more often the man's thing - at least, in the past and with 'traditional' couples.

It's not exactly set in stone though. I can't imagine anyone finding it odd for either a man or a woman to do gardening.

I think the person in the story is a little odd.

There is a British sitcom I watch where the husband does the gardening on the days he isn't working - and in fact is expected to spend his retirement "puttering around" in the garden while the wife uses the flowers he grows in tasteful arrangements to accent her dinner parties. In this instance it is less an issue of 'traditional' gender roles and more an issue of social class (or aspiration towards higher class). She would never garden because it involves getting dirty.  :P I also notice that when it comes to "domestics," the cook and maids are female and the gardener is always male. But the lady of the house still oversees the garden and will talk about her flowers and herbs. Quite an interesting cultural situation with very seemingly malleable boundaries.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

LB

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:08:18 PM »
My dad has always been very proud of his garden. These kind of statements are so strange.