News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 28, 2015, 07:58:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you run an orphanage?  (Read 5779 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Re: Do you run an orphanage?
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2015, 07:13:10 PM »
You could reply something similar that's not rude like "what an interesting assumption" or "and I suppose that you making condescending comments to strangers on their lives that you know nothing about makes you feel better about yourself."

ezbliss

« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2015, 07:59:49 PM »
I don't think it's always rude to comment on something in someone's cart.

Sure.  Upon seeing something from the bakery, etc. I've said "That looks delicious!" and the stranger and I smile, or if they have something I was looking for or meant to get "Excuse me, where did you find those?"  Such comments and questions are fine.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2015, 10:54:48 PM »
I don't think it's always rude to comment on something in someone's cart.

Sure.  Upon seeing something from the bakery, etc. I've said "That looks delicious!" and the stranger and I smile, or if they have something I was looking for or meant to get "Excuse me, where did you find those?"  Such comments and questions are fine.

Someone once commented about the pop and coffee in my cart, all decaff by the way, and she gave me a lecture about caffeine and high blood pressure and said she could never have caffeine by doctor's orders. I didn't really examine her cart but saw the migraine Exedrin in her basket and asked her if she had read the ingredients. Oh, well, that was OK. I didn't intend it as retaliatory, merely as education. I wonder if she ever was being defensive and really looked at things later or if she was that clueless.

ishka

« Reply #93 on: Today at 04:01:01 AM »

A woman looked at my cart and snarked "I just hope you plan to use all that food.  Otherwise you're wasteful.".   ::)

There have been a few times in my life where all witty retorts have fled my mind and I have been reduced to blurting out "what a stupid thing to say."

This would have been one of those times.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: Today at 09:32:15 AM »

A woman looked at my cart and snarked "I just hope you plan to use all that food.  Otherwise you're wasteful.".   ::)

There have been a few times in my life where all witty retorts have fled my mind and I have been reduced to blurting out "what a stupid thing to say."

This would have been one of those times.

I would have involuntarily burst out laughing which is my go-to reaction when my brain goes blank.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #95 on: Today at 10:12:51 AM »
Similar to mine. If she had said it with a smile on her face and a friendly tone, I would have thought she was just trying to be funny, so I would have laughed, nodded and confirmed it sarcastically and jokingly and just said "yes" as I walked away.

But if she'd said it with a more serious expression and a judgmental tone, I would have looked her in the eye and said in a sarcastic tone "uh-huh..." And walked away. The "uh-huh" would not be to confirm or deny her story, but it would have been a bit of an out loud thought for myself just saying "this woman is trying to put me down and she's rudely making observations about my private purchase. My purchases are helping the store. I am not stealing or doing inappropriate things in life. She's out of line. I'm not engaging with crazy. And uh-huh, yes, boy is she one of the rude crazies. Get me out of here before she keeps poking into what is not her business." The "uh-huh" is the confirmation to the bully that "yes, I heard and understood you. I am not slinking away in shame. You are not going to insult me. And you are not worth my time to banter with. I owe you no defense."