News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 03, 2015, 05:10:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "When did you graduate?"  (Read 1183 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Re: "When did you graduate?"
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
Anytime I've heard this question, it has always been in the context of trying to find out if you knew someone from the same school or had the same teachers or placing the date of something. Like when a bunch of friends hear a song and say "oh, this reminds me of the fraternity parties in college" and then one friend in the group is bewildered and says "this song came out when I was in middle school" then the rest of us will be in shock and say "when did you graduate high school?" as a reference point.

So I agree with the rest where it's simplest to just say "I was class of 2003" or whenever you were expected to graduate.

Bottlecaps

• She boxed her shadow and she won.
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 07:11:04 PM »
For me, I would say, "I was at X High School until 2007." or "I finished school in 2009" because you were done at that point.

I have a college degree and always assume this question means "When did you finish (the last level of school you completed)?" For me, I say I got my bachelor's in 2006 and started grad school a couple of years ago.

If you have the same interpretation, you might say, "I got my GED in 2009," end of story, or "I was done with school in 2007." (With a lighthearted emphasis indicating, "Thank goodness that's behind me!")

I really like the idea of saying "I finished school in 2009," and I especially love the lighthearted "done," because I wasn't a huge fan of school (that's definitely no secret, haha) and saying something like that fits with my personality and how I usually say things, if that makes sense. I did finish up my studies in 2009 after all, so that's definitely the truth without possibly backing myself into having to provide any unnecessary explanation.

Thank you all for all of the advice! I really appreciate it! :)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 09:09:22 PM »
I think giving the year you got your GED is absolutely fine, and "I finished school in 2009" is great, too. If you get the impression they're trying to figure out exactly when/where you went to high school because you may have friends in common you could say "I was in the class of 2008" or "I was at Whatever High School until 2008".
Oregon