News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 27, 2016, 06:52:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Would this be an acceptable reply to assumptions about taking a married name?  (Read 21277 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
There's currently an ongoing situation in South Africa where hundreds of married women who opted (on the marriage registration forms) to keep their maiden names have been finding out that the Department of Home Affairs changed their names anyway (over their wishes). The women only found out last month when they went to vote in the municipal elections and found out that they were registered under the wrong names. Now the Dept is insisting that the women obviously didn't know how to fill out the form correctly so its their fault, silly little darlings that they obviously are (not actual wording, but heavily implied in tone).  There's a lawyer gathering a list of cases to start trying to take legal action.

:o

Wow!

Thanks for mentioning it. I'll look up that story and follow it as the lawsuit progresses!

Sigh. In my home province, back in the 1970s, a legislator voted "no" on whether married women changing their names should be optional, with the reasoning, "Otherwise, how would we know who she belonged to?"

???

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
There's currently an ongoing situation in South Africa where hundreds of married women who opted (on the marriage registration forms) to keep their maiden names have been finding out that the Department of Home Affairs changed their names anyway (over their wishes). The women only found out last month when they went to vote in the municipal elections and found out that they were registered under the wrong names. Now the Dept is insisting that the women obviously didn't know how to fill out the form correctly so its their fault, silly little darlings that they obviously are (not actual wording, but heavily implied in tone).  There's a lawyer gathering a list of cases to start trying to take legal action.

:o

Wow!

Thanks for mentioning it. I'll look up that story and follow it as the lawsuit progresses!

Sigh. In my home province, back in the 1970s, a legislator voted "no" on whether married women changing their names should be optional, with the reasoning, "Otherwise, how would we know who she belonged to?"

In that case, we need the men to be required to take their wife's last name.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture