Author Topic: DD used it on the school bus  (Read 14589 times)

Tanya

DD used it on the school bus
« on: October 04, 2007, 12:52:16 PM »
She's 8.  A boy was teasing her on the bus yesterday afternoon.  He was saying stuff like "Is so and so your boyfriend?"  She says she turned around, looked straight at him and said, "What an interesting assumption."  The boy was quiet for awhile and then said, "What does that even mean?"  She told him he needed to figure it out for himself and he was still puzzling it out when the bus reached her stop.  He may not have known what it meant, but it ended that episode of teasing.

Shortcake

Re: DD used it on the school bus
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 01:12:01 PM »
Way to go for your DD! It got her the result she wanted!   ;D
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

sasha

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 01:57:30 PM »
She's 8.  A boy was teasing her on the bus yesterday afternoon.  He was saying stuff like "Is so and so your boyfriend?"  She says she turned around, looked straight at him and said, "What an interesting assumption."  The boy was quiet for awhile and then said, "What does that even mean?"  She told him he needed to figure it out for himself and he was still puzzling it out when the bus reached her stop.  He may not have known what it meant, but it ended that episode of teasing.

I get that she's eight and all and was being teased, but how is a straightforward question an assumption?

Sasha

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 02:06:27 PM »
It's interesting that he assumed it was any of his *business*
It's interesting that he assumed she had a BF at 8 YEARS OLD!!
It's interesting that he assumed he could bother her on the bus....

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:17:59 PM »
She's 8!  The point is that she handled the situation without getting upset or getting into trouble.  Who cares if it doesn't quite match the question?  Does it really matter?

That sounded kinda hostile.  Perhaps there's a misunderstanding?

It's cool that she learned the phrase, but sasha was merely pointing out that she used it inappropriately.  How else will she learn to use it appropriately if it's not pointed out to her when she doesnt (and when she does as well)? Also, you specifically posted in this folder (rather than the family and children folder, or cuteliness beyond belief folder) which is meant to showcase the use of this phrase. 

That's totally fair game in the forum - especially since it's in the rules that if you cant handle people pointing contrary opinions out, then you shouldnt really be posting, and there's a thread in this very folder about using the phrase appropriately.

So all in all, your daughter is good for handling the situation without getting upset or getting into trouble, and sasha is good for pointing out an inappropriate use of the phrase.  I am sure you'll get plenty more posts on both topics   :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:20:16 PM by rdge »
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »
It's interesting that he assumed it was any of his *business*
It's interesting that he assumed she had a BF at 8 YEARS OLD!!
It's interesting that he assumed he could bother her on the bus....

perhaps the OP's daughter was doing something to lead him to assume these things? The op doesnt specify that.  In which case, it's a question of clarification, not an assumption. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

dragonflies

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 02:50:31 PM »
Yay for DD!!!  Congrats!

Tanya

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 03:23:33 PM »

That sounded kinda hostile.  Perhaps there's a misunderstanding?
[/quote]

Yeah, it did sound kind of hostile.  Sorry about that.  Apologies to everyone, especially sasha.  I certainly didn't mean to sound snippy but it sure came across that way.  I will remove it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:27:23 PM by Tanya »

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »
I think your DD did a great job.  Now it's up to you to teach her the correct usage of 'assumption', lol!  I know when I was her age I was using a lot of words I didn't quite understand  >:D

That's so awesome that she deflected him like that.  I'd be proud too :)

Editing to add perhaps the conversation wasn't relayed accurately to the OP.  If I remember correctly, most 8 year old boys don't casually say "So is John your boyfriend?".  They say things like "Jane looooovveeees John.  They're gunna kiss!  Jane has a boyfriend and she's in looooooove!"  If that were in fact the case, 'That's an interesting assumption" would be correct.  Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 06:56:13 PM by LiveLoveLearn »

freakyfemme

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »
I think your DD did a great job.  Now it's up to you to teach her the correct usage of 'assumption', lol!  I know when I was her age I was using a lot of words I didn't quite understand  >:D

That's so awesome that she deflected him like that.  I'd be proud too :)

Editing to add perhaps the conversation wasn't relayed accurately to the OP.  If I remember correctly, most 8 year old boys don't casually say "So is John your boyfriend?".  They say things like "Jane looooovveeees John.  They're gunna kiss!  Jane has a boyfriend and she's in looooooove!"  If that were in fact the case, 'That's an interesting assumption" would be correct.  Just sayin'.

Yeah, and it doesn't take much to bring on those kinds of comments.  At eight years old, if Jane and John, say, swing on the swings next to each other at recess, they're "going out," and if they sit together at lunch time, they're "married," lol.

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 10:30:59 PM »
I can guarantee you that the 8 yr old boys I now see at the bus stop with my siblings would not casually ask the question.  I realize they aren't representative of all 8 yr old boys, but at least it's more than just one.  :)  Considering that they're trying to give me (at 27) a hard time about a boyfriend, I can see how it would be an assumption from an 8 yr old as opposed to a question. 

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »
Sometimes when "what an interesting assumption" doesn't quite work because the person didn't really make an assumption, a good response is "what an interesting question" or "what an odd thing for you to ask me."
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 12:14:20 AM »
I am so loving your daughter right now.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 02:50:44 AM »
I think it fit the situation.  What a bright girl!  :)