Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

Using it to defend yourself concerning religious matters

(1/3) > >>

kingsrings:
Those of you who are religious like me and very active in your respective churches probably occassionally encounter those who have appointed themselves God and feel the need to make comments about what other people do. "What an interesting assumption" is an excellent response when confronted yet again with, "Christians (or insert your religion) shouldn't do _____!". Firm and to the point, yet very polite and not attacking them. I can't wait to use it the next time I am confronted, although suffice it to say, it doesn't happen very often, fortunately.

lamorevincera:

--- Quote from: kingsrings on October 04, 2007, 02:20:56 PM ---Those of you who are religious like me and very active in your respective churches probably occassionally encounter those who have appointed themselves God and feel the need to make comments about what other people do. "What an interesting assumption" is an excellent response when confronted yet again with, "Christians (or insert your religion) shouldn't do _____!". Firm and to the point, yet very polite and not attacking them. I can't wait to use it the next time I am confronted, although suffice it to say, it doesn't happen very often, fortunately.

--- End quote ---

This works very well for the reverse, too. I am agnostic and live in the Bible belt. I get people assuming I go to church who start sounding off on agnostics and atheists, and it happens quite a bit. You're right; this line would work wonderfully.

Mr. Fed:
When I was Catholic as a youth, and even more snarky than I am now, I committed myself to E-hell with any number of responses to such rude statements.

I remember once someone lecturing me about how Catholics are wrong about XYZ.

I said:

"OH MY GOODNESS!  You are RIGHT!  I have to TELL SOMEONE!"  And ran across the room to a phone and snatched it up.  "GET ME THE POPE!"  I yelled.  Pause.  "I DON'T CARE WHO HE'S TALKING TO!"

baconsmom:

--- Quote from: Mr. Fed on October 04, 2007, 05:16:16 PM ---When I was Catholic as a youth, and even more snarky than I am now, I committed myself to E-hell with any number of responses to such rude statements.

I remember once someone lecturing me about how Catholics are wrong about XYZ.

I said:

"OH MY GOODNESS!  You are RIGHT!  I have to TELL SOMEONE!"  And ran across the room to a phone and snatched it up.  "GET ME THE POPE!"  I yelled.  Pause.  "I DON'T CARE WHO HE'S TALKING TO!"

--- End quote ---

Rude, but awesome. :D

livluvlaf:
Sometimes people become so fanatic about their convictions (religious or otherwise) ... it takes a totally silly reaction to snap them back to the present.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version