Author Topic: wicked...From the arcive, A vile Woman,  (Read 14155 times)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: wicked...From the arcive, A vile Woman,
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »
I think this story is, at the very least, exaggerated.  I can't imagine a mother of the bride having nothing else to do at the reception than monitor the gift table and then berate a guest (one she didn't even know, no less) for bringing a gift rather than sending it when she apparently had no problem with other guests doing so.

I agree.  Grossly exaggerated, if not completely made up.

BB-VA

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »

*Hillbilly is not always an insult. Some people from that region use it with pride.

Like me.

I don't know about the truth of the story - maybe MOB was a MOBzilla control freak?   I can see something like this happening if MOB did not approve of the young lady being invited to the wedding.  I think there is a backstory here that we aren't getting.  Maybe she was the groom's ex or something.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Cami

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »
What I don't get is why the gift was returned to her. Why didn't the bride and groom keep it?

Moreover, why did they tell her she was the butt of jokes during the entire reception? That is as bad as the  MOB's behavior.

Anyanka

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 09:24:57 PM »

Can I just stress that I am English, and the tradition of not bringing gifts to the wedding, is something I have never heard of.

Our English wedding( In England) was a no-present affair due to the fact we had lived together for 14 yrs and thought presents were un-necessary. Some of our cohorts who had been together for a similar lengths of time had long lists of gifts. I think it's as much to do with the couple as tradition.
Even Vengence Demons have feelings

Perfect Circle

• The followers of chaos, out of control
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 06:14:01 AM »

Can I just stress that I am English, and the tradition of not bringing gifts to the wedding, is something I have never heard of.

Our English wedding( In England) was a no-present affair due to the fact we had lived together for 14 yrs and thought presents were un-necessary. Some of our cohorts who had been together for a similar lengths of time had long lists of gifts. I think it's as much to do with the couple as tradition.

I think Portugal meant that people bring gifts to the wedding itself, rather than send them. I have to say though that when I had my wedding in England, we received maybe twenty gifts at the wedding itself and everything else was sent to our house.
In all this talk of time
Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

Portugal79

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »

I think Portugal meant that people bring gifts to the wedding itself, rather than send them. I have to say though that when I had my wedding in England, we received maybe twenty gifts at the wedding itself and everything else was sent to our house.

oops, that's exactly what i meant. in most of the weddings i have been too, presents have been brought and left at a special table.

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
As a Canadian of Ukrainian descent, I know that bohunk or hunkie is a derogatory term for Ukrainians. It was used mostly in reference to people who did menial labour jobs. It isn't used very much any more though. People of my grandparents' generation know it's an insult but most people in mine would never have heard of it.