Author Topic: I have an STD! [it's news to me]  (Read 26394 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: I have an STD! [it's news to me]
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2008, 12:04:06 AM »
To me - "thrush" is the term used for an oral yeast infection seen in infants (especially breast fed and it can get Mom where it REALLY hurts, if you know what I mean?).........and while that may have SOME relevance to their s3x life (how did the infant get there?) - I wouldn't call "thrush" an STD per se.

One of those differences in American English and the Queen's English!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2008, 10:26:04 AM »
Whenever I hear the word "thrush" I think of the horrid-smelling bacteria that gets into horse's hooves.  Break out the Coppertox and turn everything around you green to get rid of it.

That creates an, um, interesting mental image in the context of this thread!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »
To me - "thrush" is the term used for an oral yeast infection seen in infants (especially breast fed and it can get Mom where it REALLY hurts, if you know what I mean?).........and while that may have SOME relevance to their s3x life (how did the infant get there?) - I wouldn't call "thrush" an STD per se.

...well, it's possible to get it in the mouth as an adult.  I did, just over a year ago.  I wasn't sxually active at the time; best we could figure was it was something that happened when I changed my mouthguard (I sleep with a mouthguard to help deal with TMJ problems).  After my throat itched for a week like I had something stuck, I finally looked in the mirror and said "aah."  (gross follows) It looked like my entire soft palate, throat, and dangly thing (name won't come to mind) were covered in white mold!   Got a script for the oral yeast infection drug, and that knocked it right out.  (gross follows again) though it did make it sort of...slough off.  Yeah... ick.

The funniest part is that the night I got the script I visited a friend who'd gotten married the previous summer.  Her husband is studying to be a doctor and she's into biochemistry.  They both said, "really?!  Can we see??"

Kaylee

• Super Hero!
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »
Let's be clear:  everyone has candida yeast on their mucosa (any location you want to name) and in their gut.  It's part of what is termed "natural flora" (rather a nice medical phrase for once, isn't it?).  The problem arises when the candida overgrows the other natural flora and kind of takes over, producing thrush (if, in the US anyway, the overgrowth is in the mouth) or vaginal candidiasis or the common "yeast infection" if it's vaginal.

It has dog-all to do with secks-you-all activity, with one notable exception, which is that it is considered an opportunistic infection in immunocompromised patients and there is one STI that does cause immunosuppression:  HIV.  And in immunosuppressed patients it can be a much more serious disease (it can be disseminated and even seed itself into the bloodstream (candidemia), which usually doesn't happen in otherwise well patients.  But anyone can get candidiasis.  It's more likely to happen after courses of antibiotics, as the previous poster who worked in a pharmacy mentioned, which is because the antibiotics kill off the bacteria that are also part of the natural flora and give the candida (a yeast or fungus which is not affected by the antibiotics) a chance to take over.  It's more common in diabetics because the yeast also feeds on sugars, which are more prevalent in the blood in diabetics.  But there's absolutely no reason to make assumptions about herpes, which IS a transmitted disease, one way or another.

Xallanthia, I have to admit that I'd ask to see too.   ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »
The funniest part is that the night I got the script I visited a friend who'd gotten married the previous summer.  Her husband is studying to be a doctor and she's into biochemistry.  They both said, "really?!  Can we see??"

I remember going in with an itch because instead of the "cottage cheese" of the standard yeast I had a grayish slime with an odd smell..........the doctor (military base clinic) took a sample to check......turned out to be some variety of yeast that neither he nor the lab techs had seen since they were in school...........

Nice to know that I could give them a "refresher course" but all I wanted to know is what to use to knock the overgrowth down to get rid of the symptoms............turned out to be the standard over the counter remedy for yeast..........just an unusual strain.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2008, 06:40:23 PM »
Let's be clear:  everyone has candida yeast on their mucosa (any location you want to name) and in their gut.  It's part of what is termed "natural flora" (rather a nice medical phrase for once, isn't it?).  The problem arises when the candida overgrows the other natural flora and kind of takes over, producing thrush (if, in the US anyway, the overgrowth is in the mouth) or vaginal candidiasis or the common "yeast infection" if it's vaginal.

It has dog-all to do with secks-you-all activity, with one notable exception, which is that it is considered an opportunistic infection in immunocompromised patients and there is one STI that does cause immunosuppression:  HIV.  And in immunosuppressed patients it can be a much more serious disease (it can be disseminated and even seed itself into the bloodstream (candidemia), which usually doesn't happen in otherwise well patients.  But anyone can get candidiasis.  It's more likely to happen after courses of antibiotics, as the previous poster who worked in a pharmacy mentioned, which is because the antibiotics kill off the bacteria that are also part of the natural flora and give the candida (a yeast or fungus which is not affected by the antibiotics) a chance to take over.  It's more common in diabetics because the yeast also feeds on sugars, which are more prevalent in the blood in diabetics.  But there's absolutely no reason to make assumptions about herpes, which IS a transmitted disease, one way or another.

You can also get topical yeast infections. All three of my boys have dealt with this at one point in time, as have I...yummy smelling outment...not!

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2008, 11:22:16 AM »

Oh, sure!  I didn't mind :)  As the daughter of a doctor, and a biologist myself (though I prefer macrobiology), I was equal parts fascinated and grossed out!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2008, 04:40:08 PM »
The ads are interesting - One is you can cure a yeast infection in 1 day, the other about HIV.

I've got weddingwire.com and a site for wedding day jewelry  :o

I got the 1 day yeast infection cure, and "Herpes: Get the facts".   :-*

Hmm, sounds like what the pharmacist gave the woman in question.  >:D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ChristiKayAnn

« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2008, 01:10:36 PM »
I got one day yeast infection cures and pictures of a vaginal yeast infection. Yech who wants to log on for that add?