Author Topic: I have an STD! [it's news to me]  (Read 25252 times)

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
Re: I have an STD! [it's news to me]
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2007, 03:08:13 PM »
Plain old toothpaste overnight worked for me in HS and I have never had another one.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
There are people who do that? That's really quite terrifying and leaves me in fear for society.

Are the little white painful spots that break out inside your mouth also herpes-caused?

Those are canker sores, and, no, are probably not caused by the herpes virus. My brother tends to get them when he eats bananas, and I tend to get them when I haven't been eating right or taking my vitamins. If you get them, any of the topical numbing solutions (such as Anbesol or Numzit) work well to ease the pain.

I'd say "well" was a debatable point - I've found that they give relief, sorta, kinda, for a couple of minutes. They wear off really quickly.

There's a stuff called Zilactin, which dries to form a more durable coating, and lasts a lot longer. Be aware, however, that the instructions warn that "the product may cause a mild stinging sensation when first applied". Presumably, this was written by someone who would consider having a lit cigarette held against their inner lip "mildly uncomfortable".

The best I've found for healing them in a few days is Colgate Orabase. Essentially, it's Superglue for your mouth. Dab a small amount on the canker and let dry, and it'll last for a good long time - I put it on overnight so I'm not tempted to chew it off without realizing it. Apparently the protection against the enzymes in saliva helps the healing, as well as reducing the pain.

If all else fails, get your doctor to burn 'em off with a silver nitrate cauterizing stick. Yes, I've been driven to that extreme twice.

My dentist gave me a steroid ointment for canker sores.  If I put the medicine on them at the first tingling, they never erupt.  Even if I don't treat them until they're open, they're usually gone in a day or so.  I love that medicine. 

Lady Vavasour

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2007, 07:49:05 PM »
I've heard that sodium lauryl suphate in toothpaste can cause recurrent mouth ulcers. Unfortunately I've never been able to find a toothpaste without it that wasn't also fluoride-free (I'm simply not prepared to use toothpaste without fluoride) where I live.

Not that it would likely do much good anyway, since I'm not willing to give up my predilection for extraordinarily acidic foods.  :-\

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2007, 11:27:09 PM »
There are people who do that? That's really quite terrifying and leaves me in fear for society.

Are the little white painful spots that break out inside your mouth also herpes-caused?

Those are canker sores, and, no, are probably not caused by the herpes virus. My brother tends to get them when he eats bananas, and I tend to get them when I haven't been eating right or taking my vitamins. If you get them, any of the topical numbing solutions (such as Anbesol or Numzit) work well to ease the pain.

I'd say "well" was a debatable point - I've found that they give relief, sorta, kinda, for a couple of minutes. They wear off really quickly.

There's a stuff called Zilactin, which dries to form a more durable coating, and lasts a lot longer. Be aware, however, that the instructions warn that "the product may cause a mild stinging sensation when first applied". Presumably, this was written by someone who would consider having a lit cigarette held against their inner lip "mildly uncomfortable".

The best I've found for healing them in a few days is Colgate Orabase. Essentially, it's Superglue for your mouth. Dab a small amount on the canker and let dry, and it'll last for a good long time - I put it on overnight so I'm not tempted to chew it off without realizing it. Apparently the protection against the enzymes in saliva helps the healing, as well as reducing the pain.

If all else fails, get your doctor to burn 'em off with a silver nitrate cauterizing stick. Yes, I've been driven to that extreme twice.

I tried a product (Kankaid? Kanka? Something like that) that was supposed to create a "seal" over the canker sore, but all it did was make a mess. It contained the numbing medication too, though, so it wasn't a total loss.

Etikate

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2007, 12:38:34 AM »
This thread is making me think - is there a polite way to tell someone who looks like they have a cold sore that you don't want them to kiss you or your child? It's a hard thing to tell a white lie about, b/c you've probably kissed them before and you'll probably kiss someone else in front of them.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2007, 12:50:46 AM »
I tried a product (Kankaid? Kanka? Something like that) that was supposed to create a "seal" over the canker sore, but all it did was make a mess. It contained the numbing medication too, though, so it wasn't a total loss.

I know the stuff of which you speak, and it's no good at all. Zilactin and Orabase are much better.

Now, if we can just figure out how to steal Just Lori's prescription-writing doctor....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2007, 12:58:37 AM »
This thread is making me think - is there a polite way to tell someone who looks like they have a cold sore that you don't want them to kiss you or your child? It's a hard thing to tell a white lie about, b/c you've probably kissed them before and you'll probably kiss someone else in front of them.
I have been wondering about this, too.
White lie?  "I am afraid we are all coming down with a cold and I am trying to teach the kids to be careful so they don't spread it."
Then don't kiss anyone in front of them that day.
If they are close to you, you might figure out a way to discuss this more directly.
It is how the virus is spread and they need to know.  They certainly should not want to inflict it on others.

My father, who I used to think was a nut, would always say it was disgusting how people would kiss little kids on the face at all.
He would rant and rave about herpes II.  I see what he means, but I think there is a happy medium.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2007, 07:48:59 AM »

I know the stuff of which you speak, and it's no good at all. Zilactin and Orabase are much better.

Now, if we can just figure out how to steal Just Lori's prescription-writing doctor....

Ask for triamcinolone acetonide dental paste. 

http://www.taro.com/USA/Rx/TriamcinoloneAcetonideDentalUSP01_2/Product.html

I don't know if it works for everyone, but my canker sores used to last 7-10 days.  Now they're gone in two.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2007, 12:06:44 PM »
My father, who I used to think was a nut, would always say it was disgusting how people would kiss little kids on the face at all.
He would rant and rave about herpes II.  I see what he means, but I think there is a happy medium.

I agree with your father. Not to mention that I think forcing young children to kiss their relatives is wrong. I'm 38 and I have always hated kissing my relatives, but I would be forced to kiss them: not allowed to leave the room, smacked, yelled at, etc. if I didn't. So I did it just to get it over with. But I won't do that to my young relatives. Never.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

DreamingOfARedGown

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2007, 03:19:00 AM »
Too tired to read all 6 pages, going to bed, but this is important, so I wanted to say...

There are 2 types of herpes (actually, at least three, but one is quite different)

1. Oral Herpes - this is the type people get routinely on the mouth, can be transferred to the naughty bits (referred to as 'cold sores', but have nothing to do with colds or the cold)
2. Genital Herpes - this is the type people get routinely on the naughty bits, can be transferred to the mouth (referred to as 'ewww, that's gross, get that away from me *puts pants back on quickly*')
3. Shingles, the condition you can get if you have previously had varicella (chicken pox).  It is technically called Herpes Zoster.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 03:21:37 AM by DreamingOfARedGown »

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2007, 05:51:15 PM »
2. Genital Herpes - this is the type people get routinely on the naughty bits, can be transferred to the mouth (referred to as 'ewww, that's gross, get that away from me *puts pants back on quickly*')

I'm sorry, but this attitude drives me nuts, and I honestly believe it's why people lie and continue to pass the disease rather than be honest with their partners.
I am confused.  Do folks expect that someone would be thrilled at the idea of being given genital herpes?  It is highly contagious, apparently quite painful and terribly annoying and there is no cure.  Of course many people would think that is gross.  Lying about it is completely atrocious and unforgivable. 

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2007, 12:55:18 PM »
I am confused.  Do folks expect that someone would be thrilled at the idea of being given genital herpes?  It is highly contagious, apparently quite painful and terribly annoying and there is no cure.  Of course many people would think that is gross.  Lying about it is completely atrocious and unforgivable. 

Having genital herpes is not a life ending completely disgusting fear inducing condition. With a little bit of common sense it's possible to prevent the spread to a partner. Unfortunately many people are afraid of rejection and being told they are "disgusting" or "dirty" and wind up not making a full disclosure at the start of a relationship, thus not taking precautions and spreading the virus. I wouldn't expect anyone to be thrilled to get genital herpes, but I really do wish people would stop being so judgemental and cruel about the person who harbours the virus.
Still, there is absolutely no justification for keeping that from a partner.  If that is how people behave, then that is a huge reason for people to be judgemental about it.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2007, 01:56:45 PM »

For instance, a friend of mine contracted HSV from her husband. "'Til death" came a lot sooner than she expected, and she found herself facing the prospect of dating again around 28. However, she was afraid to actually go out and meet people because she dreaded the future disclosure and the "you're gross!" reaction. She eventually met someone who was kind and caring enough to love her for more than her genitals, but for her it was a torturous process just getting to the point where she could relax about coffee with a guy. People were often very unkind to her for that one small detail, and she did pay a pretty hefty emotional toll for being honest.

I know how she feels.  I have HCV and therefore am celibate for life.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2007, 07:35:41 AM »

Having genital herpes is not a life ending completely disgusting fear inducing condition. With a little bit of common sense it's possible to prevent the spread to a partner. Unfortunately many people are afraid of rejection and being told they are "disgusting" or "dirty" and wind up not making a full disclosure at the start of a relationship, thus not taking precautions and spreading the virus. I wouldn't expect anyone to be thrilled to get genital herpes, but I really do wish people would stop being so judgemental and cruel about the person who harbours the virus.
Still, there is absolutely no justification for keeping that from a partner.  If that is how people behave, then that is a huge reason for people to be judgemental about it.

Hanna, if a partner had lied to you about it, and you had contracted herpes - would you therefore plan on never having sex for the rest of your life?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2007, 04:24:22 PM »
The reasoning is that since the vast majority of people would get chickenpox anyway (and therefore be at risk for shingles), better to have it as a child than as an adult.  And without a vaccine, it's nearly impossible to avoid chickenpox for an entire lifetime.  I personally had chickenpox at the age of three.  My younger sister got the vaccine, but only because she hadn't had chicken pox the year it was approved by the FDA (she was five).

My brother & I were close to our 2 girl cousins when we were growing up.  I remember our parents put the 4 of us together for an extended slumber party when one of us (I don't remember who caught it first) caught chicken pox.  This was back in the early 1960s.  My eldest cousin developed shingles as an adult.  She said the chicken pox virus stays in your system for the rest of your life, as does the immunity you developed as a child, but the virus can be stimulated back to "active" status by stress.  I've heard that adults who catch chicken pox for the first time can become seriously ill.  Pregnant women who catch chicken pox need to seek medical care because it poses a threat to the fetus.  Please don't ask me medical details.  I know two things:  1) Our parents put us together by mutual decision intending for us to catch the chicken pox; and 2) Only 1 of the 4 of us who had chicken pox together developed shingles later.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius