Author Topic: Cookie bars  (Read 1032 times)

Trisha

• Super Hero!
Cookie bars
« on: October 05, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
Ok, I used to make these cookies YEARS ago when I was in my early teens, and somewhere the recipe was lost, I'm hoping someone will know what I'm talking about.

They were bar cookies, meaning you cooked them in a big pan and cut them after cooking. I remember you brushed the top with egg, and then sprinkled cinnamon sugar on the top. It was a real simple recipe sugar, flour, butter, I don't even think it took eggs in the mix...

So does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or even a good place to search for the recipe?

jibby

Re: Cookie bars
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:38:37 AM »
I'm not sure about those specifically, were they sugar cookie-type bar cookies? 

Betterhomesandgardens.com has a really good variety of cookie recipes.  Also, popularcookierecipes.com, and I have quite a bit of luck with about.com recipe searches. 

Hopefully someone else will know the exact recipe you need.  I am always looking for simple cookie recipes and bar cookies are delicious!  Good luck!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »
sounds yummy but alas.... i don't think i've ever come across this recipe. see if you can find "the settlement cookbook" bec they had lots of old -fashioned recipes in there (I wish i still had my copy :'().

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jibby

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 11:49:39 AM »
Trish, was it maybe a bar cookie version of Snickerdoodle cookies?  Those are pretty simple to make and are dipped in cinnamon before baking. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 12:16:51 PM »
Trish, was it maybe a bar cookie version of Snickerdoodle cookies?  Those are pretty simple to make and are dipped in cinnamon before baking. 

was it this?
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Snickerdoodle-Bars/Detail.aspx
make sure you read all the reviews carefully bec it might save you time/effort/ingredients.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »
From your post title, I envisioned a pub type setting where people gather to eat cookies.  I think it sounds like a lovely idea.

As for your cookie quest, try posting a request on the Taste of Home bulletin board:

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=cat&headnum=2&catnum=92

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 04:08:57 PM »
They were sugar cookie like. Its hard to explain, they were softer than "normal" cookies... I wonder if I could find my old HomeEc teacher, she's the one that gave us the recipe. Thanks for the websites, I'm going to start looking at those...

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 12:09:14 AM »
Almost any normal cookie recipe can be baked as bars.  Not rolled cookies, but chocolate chip or oatmeal work fine.  Lower the oven temperature and bake longer - a 9x13 pan would be 30-40 minutes at 300 - 350F.    Do the toothpick test in the centre of the pan.