Author Topic: I wished I had used the phrase today ...  (Read 4119 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
I wished I had used the phrase today ...
« on: October 05, 2007, 03:48:46 PM »
Schools are closed today (teacher work day), so I had my kids with me today at the store.  Some guy came up and accused my kids of playing hooky.  ::)  Even if they were actually truant, it's none of his business.  I could even be homeschooling them.

Shortcake

Re: I wished I had used the phrase today ...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:16:04 PM »
I hate it when the perfect response come to me when its too late!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

DCGirl

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 10:46:08 AM »

The French have the expressision parole d'escalier -- words of the staircase -- meaning the witty retort that you think of as your leaving.  It's frustrating, isn't it?

Shortcake

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »

The French have the expressision parole d'escalier -- words of the staircase -- meaning the witty retort that you think of as your leaving.  It's frustrating, isn't it?

Yes it is frustrating! At least I know I am not the only one who does this.
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 02:49:52 PM »

At least now I have an elegant phrase to describe what my kids call "Muhmering." It's me mouthing comebacks I thought of too late to actually use.

Piyokochan

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 03:00:09 PM »

At least now I have an elegant phrase to describe what my kids call "Muhmering." It's me mouthing comebacks I thought of too late to actually use.

It's also called Treppenwitz in German.